OEM Mat Badge Restoration

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
I recently bought some used black OEM mats and noticed the metal badges were pretty worn and badly scratched, so thought I would have a bash at giving them a proper clean and share my results so far! All pictures are from the Passenger side (oddly the worst for wear) and I used some paper slotted under the badge on all 4 sides to protect the carpet.

First up, a shot before any work was done:

Wow :blink: what a mess!

STEP 1
I basically put them through the washing machine, on a quick wash, very low heat, here is a shot after (note the matt white patches):

STEP 2
Step 1 did a pretty good job already! but the next thing I thought to do was give it a going over with some metal polish:

Oh dear, the Metal Polish took off the matt white dirt/corrosion and revealed the extensive wear to the badge. The metal had been worn down to a polished look. :angry:

STEP 3
The next thing to do then was to bring back the brushed metal! I used some 'fine' grade sand paper and basically went about brushing the badge with the current visible grain.

After step 3 I cleaned the badge with some soapy water and hey presto!

Thought I would share! Really pleased with how they have come up, with more work, I am sure they will look almost as good as new 8)

Before + After:

Both badges after a go with a sanding block 8)

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
nice one P, some people just have too much time on their hands...... i must find some more itr-dc5 artwork for you to do :idea: :idea:

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
Yeah it's quite an easy job! Going to have a go with a sanding block later to get a more even finish on the badges.

You know me Si! :lol:

Tim J

Advanced Member
STEP 1
I basically put them through the washing machine, on a quick wash, very low heat, here is a shot after (note the matt white patches):

Ian - you actually put the mats in the washing machine or was it just the badges?

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
Ian - you actually put the mats in the washing machine or was it just the badges?
Yes mate, the whole mat! throw it in, might need to bend it slightly, but avoid folding 8)

40 Degrees, bit of Daz, hey presto :xcheers: