OEM wind deflectors - Refurbing

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
Alright folk,

Seen as the OEM wind deflectors have been discontinued for a while now I have decided to try to polish up mine. Dont have any pics but they look to have old bird crap etches on and general oxidisation and hazing. I just wondered if anyone could shed some light on this and let me know what they used, theur method and how it came out?

Many thanks
Chris

spooke

Advanced Member
Chrismartin said:
Alright folk,

Seen as the OEM wind deflectors have been discontinued for a while now I have decided to try to polish up mine. Dont have any pics but they look to have old bird crap etches on and general oxidisation and hazing. I just wondered if anyone could shed some light on this and let me know what they used, theur method and how it came out?

Many thanks
Chris
I'm happy to be a guinee pig as I have a brand new set spare ;)

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
spooke said:
I'm happy to be a guinee pig as I have a brand new set spare ;)
Hey! You can jog on! You know I want them lool. Post them me and ill have a go?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Ultimate compound on a light machine polish works well, but will come back eventually. Its like the hazy oem headlights unfortunately. Could seal them up after put will only kast so long. Or just keep ontop of it. The old ones get very brittle mind so go carefully.

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
Jimmer said:
Ultimate compound on a light machine polish works well, but will come back eventually. Its like the hazy oem headlights unfortunately. Could seal them up after put will only kast so long. Or just keep ontop of it. The old ones get very brittle mind so go carefully.
Thanks James! I will try that. The haze isnt horredous. It is more staining from products and droppings from our two winged "friends" in the sky.

spooke

Advanced Member
Chrismartin said:
Hey! You can jog on! You know I want them lool. Post them me and ill have a go?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
Mine are completely matte, I would post them but they'll probably arrive broken lol

Edit - the old ones that is :D

Granty1056

Advanced Member
Hi all.

Iv'e seen a video recently of a bloke using a heat gun or hair dryer onto faded black plastic, bumpers mirror surrounds etc. It did bring the blackness back. Iv'e not tried it myself so beware.

Regards.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Granty1056 said:
Hi all.

Iv'e seen a video recently of a bloke using a heat gun or hair dryer onto faded black plastic, bumpers mirror surrounds etc. It did bring the blackness back. Iv'e not tried it myself so beware.

Regards.
This will only work on black ABS plastic. I had my scuttle done this way and it lasted quite a while. You have to be careful not to burn it though!

As for the wind deflectors, I have been through about 5 different sets including the set that came with the car. Slightest touch or cleaning product on them and they mark. Not much you can do apart from use a plastic cleaner or as Jimmer said use ultimate compound and seal it.

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
WJ51FUT (Gok) said:
This will only work on black ABS plastic. I had my scuttle done this way and it lasted quite a while. You have to be careful not to burn it though!

As for the wind deflectors, I have been through about 5 different sets including the set that came with the car. Slightest touch or cleaning product on them and they mark. Not much you can do apart from use a plastic cleaner or as Jimmer said use ultimate compound and seal it.
Thanks Adam!

It got recommended to me to polish them up myself and get them clearcoated to preserve the finish. Hopefully that will work!

Liam

Advanced Member
I just polish them up using spot pads on the DA - just approach it as if you were trying to restore faded paint, but obviously they correct a lot easier than paint.

They come up literally as a good as new after but it sadly doesn't last, even after sealing with wax. Expect to do them a few times a year.

Rom

Advanced Member
As said really. If they are proper crap, they will never look great. But can certainly be improved.
It's the clarity that's hard to restore. They should be opaque, old ones just end up a solid blackish colour.

I got new ones, that I use aerospace 303 on, as it's got uv protection. But I'll also wax them etc. Also make sure to dry under them properly, so you don't get hard spots developing. It's a bit fiddly to get the nooks and crannies, but worth doing, as you can't get the underside to polish them up on the car.

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

GIBLETS

Advanced Member
For some reason mine particularly like Bilt Hamber Double Speed Wax.

Tried a few products on them with little success and the above wax seemed to work wonders, gave them a great shine and seems to last a few months, I can live with that.