Offside front suspension - horizontal play

adamamuk

Advanced Member
Hey guys,
Quick question,
If I have a little bit of horizontal play here (where my hand is on the picture) what's the likely culprit?

It's solid with no movement on the near side.
Thanks

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Thats your drive shaft. It's supposed to move up and down/ in and out. When your suspension compresses or extends it will move in and out with it.

Nothing to worry about

adamamuk

Advanced Member
Ahh ok, thanks Jimmer!
I'm getting a rattle from the front near side on un-even surfaces so just thought that was it as nothing else I could see had any movement.
Potentially could be cv joint related then or worn bushes.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
If its anything to do with the joints you will get either a lot of ticking noise when driving, or vibrating under load.

Could be drop links...they will be the easiest and cheapest things to check/ change first anyway,

If not, it could be top mounts, shocks, coils slapping together if they are lowering springs, bushes, or main ball joint. Lol ive been chasing noises for years and in the end i have renewed everything! ... But they still make noises now and again. Lol

adamamuk

Advanced Member
Jimmer said:
Of its anything to do with the joints you will get either a lot of ticking noise when driving, or vibrating under load.

Could br drop links...theg will be the easiest and cheapest things to check/ change anyway, if not could be top mounts, shocks, coils slapping together if they are lowering springs, or bushes, or main ball joint. Lol ive been chasing noises for years and in the end i have renewed everything! ...still makes noises now and again. Lol
From reading your build thread, I can certainly tell you've been chases noises for a while!
Shall have a look at the drop links. I doubt they've ever been changed!
It is literally just a rattley sound over in even surfaces or when hitting a drain cover. Shall get some new ones ordered anyway and see how they compare once removed!
Cheers mate!

JDM-DC5

Advanced Member
I just fitted hardrace drop links front and rear today along with prosport bushes for the ARB's and no more knocks :)

JDM-DC5

Advanced Member
I would imagine thats what your problem is. I only heard it when I fitted the more quiet kakimoto. Then I heard all the knocks. But all cured now and happy. Can feel a great difference. Just need realignment again.