Oh man ive driven a DC2 again, thinking of changing again

Jayk

Advanced Member
Well im on my third DC5 now, inbetween ive had VX220 N/A's and VX220 Turbo's, all in the space of 2.5 years i think lol, oh i had a DC2 before the DC5's to.

For the last 2 weeks ive been taking out my uncles JDM DC2 96 spec that he bought 3 weeks ago. and its a hell lot of fun and fast as or faster than a stock DC5 which i was shocked as a UKDM DC2 is alot slower.

his does have a Fujitsubo Exhaust (De-cat) and Top fuel induction kit, which i dont think make a shuge difference.

Ive been thinking maybe i should get one, you can get a nice 97 spec for 5k, it just seems like a go kart and the DC5 isnt.

I mean through the twisties he cant shake me at all. but he has AP dixel brakes, Z carbon Pads all round, tien coilovers, execdy clutch and flywheel on order so it will be pretty rapid!

Has anyone else gone from a DC5 to a DC2?? What did you think? It would have to be a BLack JDM DC2, i mean i look at them sometimes and think there but ugly but alot of fun!

I dunno what to do :( might take his for a track day but i dont think that will help.

mikegsi

Staff member
depends if you can live with it mate

imo the dc5 is a road based track car, the dc2 is a track based road car if you know what i mean!

sure the dc2 is fun, cheap'ish and easily modded, but is also getting on a little bit now! however andy 200bhp could source you whatever you wanted

afaik theres about 10bhp betweem ukdm and jdm, as well as weight differences....

lucky charms

i own both. imho the DC2 is a far more involving drive than the DC5.
the DC5 is a very capable car & i think Honda did try to address the complaints that the DC2 was just too raw for most people.
while it may be great to jump into someone elses DC2 & enjoy it for a few hours, the daily slog to & from work or long journeys may have you wishing you'd kept your DC5.
changing your car so often will inevitably cost you money as the dealer will try to make on the deal each time you trade.

my solution was to own both, i love both but for different reasons :wink:

Jayk

Advanced Member
cheers guys. yeah i mean i love the DC5, as you can tell had 3, and only 1 DC2. the looks of the DC5 are just 8) and the dc2 looks pants imho.

but the drive i mean the DC2 is hard work on the limit, but when setup well can be abit more "stable", the DC5 is alot more planted for sure.

tbh i thought the DC2 was quite fine for the road i didnt find it too raw, but i put that down to the fact that ive had 3 vx220's and they are raw.

well im gonna do a track day in my uncles it should all be set up next week, book a track day then i can decide.

never go to a garage ive had 13 cars in 6 years, all private and only lost a minute amount, to this date, fingers crossed it stays like that. although ive just spent 3k+ on my DC5 in under 3 months. Its not even fnished yet and im thinking of changing :oops:

phil r

Advanced Member
oh man I've driven my uncles dc2, thinking of changing again

my mate has a jdm dc2 with induction and exhaust & my dc5 is stock bar cat back & I can asure the dc5 is quicker , that was proven especially with a slight incline :wink: but I like the better mid range the 5 has & yes it is a far better road car , I know which teg my mate would like aswell & it isn't his , only reason he has the dc2 is because it couldnt stretch to a dc5 & he has driven both aswell :)

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
If I had my time again... after owning a DC2 last year.... I would have brought a DC2 five years ago.. over the DC5 I got then...

I've spent far too much money on the 5 now.. to start all again with a 2.....

But... I think.. once my DC5 race car is done.. my mind will change back into loving the 5!!

Mike

kingston

Advanced Member
MJ Type-R said:
If I had my time again... after owning a DC2 last year.... I would have brought a DC2 five years ago.. over the DC5 I got then...

I've spent far too much money on the 5 now.. to start all again with a 2.....

But... I think.. once my DC5 race car is done.. my mind will change back into loving the 5!!

Mike
ahh but mike, how long didnt you drive your 5 for?

Jayk

Advanced Member
Re: oh man I've driven my uncles dc2, thinking of changing a

phil r said:
my mate has a jdm dc2 with induction and exhaust & my dc5 is stock bar cat back & I can asure the dc5 is quicker , that was proven especially with a slight incline :wink: but I like the better mid range the 5 has & yes it is a far better road car , I know which teg my mate would like aswell & it isn't his , only reason he has the dc2 is because it couldnt stretch to a dc5 & he has driven both aswell :)
not starting a debate, but my uncles seems very strong and i know for a fact it would waste a stock DC5. Ive had 3 DC5's will all different tunes, and a DC2 and so have all my friends. We've all tested them out and the DC5 has always been quicker.

I have a toda manifold, supersprint bpipe on mine at the mo, and he can still keep up no problems, even in 4th and 5th i just about keep up! All i know is once my RBC, F5 and KPRO are on next week, bye bye DC2.

However the DC2 when you drive it, i think is far more rewarding and more fun, the DC5 is modern, looks gorgeous and ticks all the boxes, but certainly isnt a go-kart like the DC2.

Keep the 5 and just borrow your uncles 2 when you do track days
Good thing is, he doesnt have a problem with that! :)

Jayk

Advanced Member
S80PERteg said:
if your gonna buy one jay, get a 98spec JDM

steven says so
I will give him a shout ;-) Just for kind words! Haha.

Mike, i started with a DC2 and bought it over the DC5 when i test drove them both STOCK back to back. Main reason, because i thought the DC5 was pants, id been driving a VX220 for a 7 months and the DC2 felt a way better car. Then i drove a slightly modded DC5 and bought one 3 days later.

There both good cars, but on the track theres nothing in it. Hence, why if i plan to do track days, i may go JDM DC2 and keep the change from DC5.

Jay

lockwood77

Advanced Member
Well, my DC5 with Spoon progressives and proper fast road setup (full geometry, not the guess and hope that a lot of places seem to do) definitely handles better and is more go kart-like than my stock suspension DC2s were. I'm not sure I quite get as much feedback as I got from the DC2 (i.e. my feeling is that really pushed, the DC5 will bite me much quicker), but there is no doubt it goes round corners faster.

As for power, there is no comparison between my Unichip/de-cat/Spoon exhaust DC2 and the GruppeM/Toda/KPro DC5 (similar mods if you think about it) - the DC5 is savage, the DC2 was just noisy! :lol:

Evs

Advanced Member
I could probably write a book on this tbh :lol:

My view would be: if you want an up-to-date, nice-looking everyday car that does a bit of everything then the DC5 wins, if you want more involvement, better value, and are not bothered about the looks or having an older car then the DC2 wins.

I think the FD2 might just be the best of both worlds and if I didn't do as much mileage as I do and only wanted/had room for one car then that would probably be the answer for me.

As it is I have a DERV for motorway work and the Integra is just for nice days and weekends, so the DC2 fits the bill better and owes me a lot less money to boot.

There's no 'one size fits all' answer to this, it all depends on what you want out of it.

HTH :)

rarerims

I went from a dc2 on itb's to a dc5, now sold that and back to Dc2 race car, dc2 turbo road car, and another dc2...

more involving, but not as good looking, my view is you cant see the outside when you driving it.. :lol:

I bought four dc2's with the money from the dc5, one of them which will definatly hand a stock dc5 its arse..

GeordieAndy

Advanced Member
Iwent 96spec....dc5......now 98spec, search dc2 forum for some of my 'thoughts'. I didnt get on with my dc5, love the dc2!

phil r

Advanced Member
oh man driven a dc2 again , thinking of changing again

rarerims said:
I went from a dc2 on itb's to a dc5, now sold that and back to Dc2 race car, dc2 turbo road car, and another dc2...

more involving, but not as good looking, my view is you cant see the outside when you driving it.. :lol:

I bought four dc2's with the money from the dc5, one of them which will definatly hand a stock dc5 its arse..
not every ones cup of tea julian the dc2 & defiantly not mine , dont forget mine is a fast road car not a race car & I love the 5 & the wife does also , so that suits me fine , not every one has my opinion & thats fine , but thats why I spend my time on this forum & not the dc2 , oh & by the way my mate cant wait to afford a dc5 over his dc2 wonder why that is :?: :lol:

rarerims

Re: oh man driven a dc2 again , thinking of changing again

phil r said:
rarerims said:
not every ones cup of tea julian the dc2 & defiantly not mine , dont forget mine is a fast road car not a race car & I love the 5 & the wife does also , so that suits me fine , not every one has my opinion & thats fine , but thats why I spend my time on this forum & not the dc2 , oh & by the way my mate cant wait to afford a dc5 over his dc2 wonder why that is :?: :lol:
Totally agree Phil!

As a fast road car, thats modern, refined, comfortable, and planted then I think the DC5 is great!

I prefer the DC2's as im a cheapskate :lol:

In all seriousness, I think if you havnt owned a dc2, then the dc5 would be all you would ever need, however the dc2 is the worlds best FWD imo (as well as others)

dan the man

Advanced Member
my goid this topic could go on.....................

and JAYk as for waste i dont think so..

A veyron racing a Transit van is wasting it..

not a DC2 racing a DC5 :lol:

VTeCMonKeY

Advanced Member
I'm coming from a DC2 and have always loved DC5s, it was just a case of waiting for one to be accessible to me (financially etc)...

I'm about to order the DC5 and am hoping there isn't too much difference in the driving experience from the 2, but it sounds like maybe there is a fairly big gap?

I think the main reason for wanting one is the looks, both the interior and exterior just look stunning to me, but in terms of performance am i going to find it not as precise etc? someone mentioned it feels like it will bite you much quicker when pushed and something that i loved about the 2 was how safe you felt when hammering it, it felt like it would give you loads of warning if you were near the edge...

am i worrying needlessly?

lockwood77

Advanced Member
Yeah, I wouldn't worry mate - mine definitely has more grip but less progression as a result, but you'd have to be well into silly territory before it bit and then, in honesty, you'd only have yourself to blame.

That said, I've only driven mine with the fast road setup/progressive springs, so not sure about the standard setup. If you're gonna buy one with that setup/get it done, I'm sure you'll find it handles better than the stock DC2. If you're doing power upgrades, I think you'll find the diff more aggressive too.