Oh my god how cheap was the petrol........

ladykb

Advanced Member
Just returned from holiday, petrol prices in Egypt are 20p a litre.... i wanted to say keep the litre of spirits in duty free i'll take a litre of petrol...

Mind you putting it into perspective the cost of living is much different, with the average egyptian wage being 400EGY pounds which is £40 a month so actually its pretty expensive to them, even more expensive for them than it is to us...

But £0.20p yes please [-o<

-Woody-

Advanced Member
I like Egypt, going back next month. If you can keep a UK wage and live over there it would be a good way of life

ladykb

Advanced Member
I like Egypt, going back next month. If you can keep a UK wage and live over there it would be a good way of life
I also love egypt, i try and go Feb, June and October always stay at a different hotel so tried loads if you ever need any advice :xlol:

I took a trip to luxor too and saw the valley of the kings and temples of Karnak amazing sites BUT blooming HOT :xmad: :xmad: :xmad:

Wasn't impressed with my plan to Luxor though!!!

ashdelsol7

Advanced Member
Just returned from holiday, petrol prices in Egypt are 20p a litre.... i wanted to say keep the litre of spirits in duty free i'll take a litre of petrol...

Mind you putting it into perspective the cost of living is much different, with the average egyptian wage being 400EGY pounds which is £40 a month so actually its pretty expensive to them, even more expensive for them than it is to us...

But £0.20p yes please [-o<

I dont believe the average wage is £40 a month, i paid a taxi driver £5, but then that was to get from my hotel to naama bay about half an hour away...... :-"

i think they depend on the tourism a lot out there.....never seen so many taxis in my life....and all desperate to give you a lift :rolleyes:

-Woody-

Advanced Member
Thier wages are very low, they rely on tips which make up a large amount of what they make. Thats why they annoy you and ask for tips

pete-dc5

Try Dubai guys, but stay out of the tourist bit. Really cheap out there as well. Can of coke etc 15p.......

ladykb

Advanced Member
Actually i read an interesting article that encourages us NOT to tip, because its causing problems in egypt.

The reason being that no one is studying to becomes doctors or lawyers etc because its more attractie to work in tourism, so we are not doing egypt any favours by tipping so high. You'll also find that these drivers live in Cairo and work in sharm for a few weeks (sleeping in their cars) then return home and give the money to their families, so they are trying to earn as much as they can to go home.

ItWasntMe

Advanced Member
And I thought 132.9 was cheap in Watford the other night!

As for the wage/work thing in Egypt, I found a lot of them have two families, one in the cities and one elsewhere. They have two wives, have lots of kids and have the kids work in the family business/earn money to bring home. It offsets the lower wage/income rates somewhat...

Kudos for going to Egypt so soon after it all kicked off! Is it safe out there now?

ladykb

Advanced Member
Sharm is fine, even though Muraback is there currently lol...

I was more worried about my snorkeling trip and sharks to be honest...

ItWasntMe

Advanced Member
I was more worried about my snorkeling trip and sharks to be honest...
I went snorkelling off Hashish Island about 3 years ago. Saw various big 'fish'. Scared the bejesus out of me! And before anyone makes a comment, it wasn't down to inhaling the island's namesake!

The boat-man-driver-guy said he had seen sharks but that attacks weren't that common.

'That common' was the bit I had an issue with!

And Mubarak is in Sharm? Wow! You'd have thought he would have left the country after what went on!

-Woody-

Advanced Member
I've only been to sharm, loved it.

The latest shark attack near sharm was on a Russian woman, she was swimming even though she was 'dripping' so not surprised tbh.

David Fox

Advanced Member
Just done 2 months in Jordan, fuel is about 52p a litre out there, and they are up in arms about how expensive it is. Average wage there is approximately 400 - 500 pounds a month. Disturbingly, beer is expensive. A 330 ml can of Amstel is £6.00 in most areas! Still didn't stop me getting lashed up at the Wadi Rum though!

pete-dc5

Swings and roundabouts, you'll get locked up for months if you kiss a girl, or drink a beer....... :blink:

Its really not that bad! I was hammered a few nights in Irish Bar then went to KFC for a feed after and there was no problems at all. As long as you dont think you are in Magaluf you will be fine!