Ohlins svc

badeshi

Advanced Member
Apologies ohlins PCV!!!

Anyone have any thoughts on these shocks? I have had a search and generally well regarded but wondered if anyone had any experience with them... I am slightly concerned they will be too harsh for everyday road use but most people say although firm they work well and soak up rough roads well.

Only weird thing is spring rates seem to be other way than standard? 12f and 8r....

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

spooke

Advanced Member
Can't seem to find Ohlins SVC? Only DFV, which is 10/12 springrates. I wouldn't even bother if they really are 12/8, are they definitely for a DC5 and not a DC2?

badeshi

Advanced Member
Sorry pcv!!! Too many abreviations....
Will edit post

ollydc5

Advanced Member
I had a set of pcv coilovers a personally I would try and stay away unless brand new. Worked fine when I had them but I found them a bit to harsh for the road, ok on track but my buddy club dampers were better.

The biggest problem I had was the pillow ball top mounts, the shocks normally come with an orange circular type and these from what I'm led to believe are not made by onlins. We did later find that the tein top mounts are a good replacement but the struts were not cheap to have serviced so sold up.

Unless mega cheap and in proven working order I wouldn't bother again. I spotted a set on eBay the other day for £1100, I nearly fell over with laughter I wouldn't be willing to pay more than £400.

Far better alternatives for the money

badeshi

Advanced Member
Thanks for reply! This is why this forum is so good. Yeah it's those ones on eBay I saw.
Seemed to be a good deal as new OEM or Bilstein B14s with top mounts/TREs etc end up costing that kind of price if not more!
The Ohlins have everything included and are more expensive when new... so I assumed much better..

What other alternatives do you think I should keep an eye out for. Preferably less money but I often believe you get what you pay for..
Cheers

ollydc5

Advanced Member
It's only my opinion but it didn't half cause me grief at the time.

Loads of options around that money but to be honest the Bilsteins are rated highly with members on here.

Other options around that price are Buddyclub N+ dampers, meister r & yellow speed a bit cheaper, eibach another well rated manafacturer.

Quick lowdown on what I've used:

First dc5 - first set - Tein super street (great all around)
- second set - ohlins pcv (too harsh for road, ok on track)
- third set - buddyclub Race spec (great all around)

Ep3 - first set - Tein basic coilovers (far too bumpy)
- second set - oem dampers abp springs (great all around)

Second dc5 - spoon springs on oem dampers - never got a chance to try on track due to hitting a tree but they were nice on the road. Only thing was the binding of the coils that did my head in.

Third dc5 - car has come with Tein superstreets which I've had before and couldn't fault them so quite happy until the top mounts knock lol.

I'm not a huge fan on coilovers for a daily drive but I must admit the buddyclub race spec dampers although a more track focused set were really nice on what I believe is the softest street type setting. They did rot quite fast but lovely made

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
ollydc5 said:
I had a set of pcv coilovers a personally I would try and stay away unless brand new. Worked fine when I had them but I found them a bit to harsh for the road, ok on track but my buddy club dampers were better.

The biggest problem I had was the pillow ball top mounts, the shocks normally come with an orange circular type and these from what I'm led to believe are not made by onlins. We did later find that the tein top mounts are a good replacement but the struts were not cheap to have serviced so sold up.

Unless mega cheap and in proven working order I wouldn't bother again. I spotted a set on eBay the other day for £1100, I nearly fell over with laughter I wouldn't be willing to pay more than £400.

Far better alternatives for the money
What spring rates and how old were they?

ollydc5

Advanced Member
I can't remember what the rates were now, I spotted a set that ran a set of swift sport springs i think they were and they were slightly stiffer than what I had from memory but we're going back at least 5years now sorry.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
I thought the DFV and PCV were similar in terms of spring rates? I've had the DFV on two different cars and they are a cut above. Certainly not too stiff for the road.

badeshi

Advanced Member
These were rated as 14F and 8R... Any reason why these seem to be other way round compared to most dc5 suspension?

Thanks for run down of different shocks, very helpful I will keep my eyes open and continue researching. In some ways a set of new OEM may be good option and worth the investment...

RichA

Advanced Member
I had a set of these 'Ohlins' shocks on my DC5, don't be fooled, they are not really the proper good standard ohlins, they are Japanese spec Coilovers the production of which is farmed out to a third party to build. I wanted to have the set I had rebuilt but was pretty much laughed out by all the UK Ohlins service guys as they are not the real deal!

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
I had a set of these 'Ohlins' shocks on my DC5, don't be fooled, they are not really the proper good standard ohlins, they are Japanese spec Coilovers the production of which is farmed out to a third party to build. I wanted to have the set I had rebuilt but was pretty much laughed out by all the UK Ohlins service guys as they are not the real deal!
Good information Rich.

ollydc5

Advanced Member
I think the general consensus all around with the pcv's is to stay away.

Always found with coilovers that if you buy new you buy once

Kevin85

Advanced Member
I have ohlins on my car, although they are steel construction, I'm sure they're the DFV model.

http://ohlins.czj.jp/auto/Products/Japan.html. <Click on the 'Integra Type R' and it will show you a photo of the same coil overs as we're discussing. They're different from the 'swedish' aluminium type, but they contain the same guts. They're fine for the Japanese market, because as we all know, they're cars don't corrode so it probably makes more sense to keep costs down by using steel.

Top bearing housing replacements are available from BC, they fit without modification and the spherical bearing is then easily replaced. Although now I've replaced the whole top mount with DaVinci/Todd's top mounts, so if you did need the BC housings, you can have them for cheaps.

The spring rates are perfectly soft enough for road driving, at 8F 10R. I think people who say they are too harsh have either had a set with stiffer springs installed before they bought them, or are feeling the bumps through the solid top mounts. It's only if there's a sudden change in road conditions, raised drain/pot hole etc they become harsh. I expect you will get the same with any spherical bearing set up. You get nothing for nothing unfortunately, and the direct feeling you get is a trade off from the occasional crash. On rolling or 'wavey' roads, they work great. I'll be moving the 10kg to the front and going stiffer on the rear, nothing savage, probably 16kg.

MeisterR

For the EP3 / DC5, the rear suspension have to be quite a bit stiffer due to the difference in the suspension motion ratio.
On the MeisterR ZetaCRD, we use 8/12 and it is a tried and tested setup for fast road & track cars.

The main important for the DC5 is to make sure the rear have enough changes in the compression force.
Because you need that to help dial out the understeer if you are going on track with the suspensions.
At the same time, you need to be able to soften the rear so the back end don't snap out on you when you are driving through the country road on a cold wet morning.

In regarding to the Ohlins, the long as you can make sure there are adequate product support then it is okay.
What you don't want is to get something that will become door stop as soon as one damper fail because no one can repair them.
As far as the springs rate of 12/8, I hope that was a miss print because that will not work well on the DC5 chassis for sure.

Jerrick