Oil catch can

2ndy

Advanced Member
Trying to find a definite answer on where the pipes should come from for a catch can.

I thought a pipe ran from valve cover to catch can then from the PCV valve to catch can?

Seen a few different things online so trying to make 100% sure

Richie200

Advanced Member
When TDi installed mine, they ran a breather on the other output and ran the other to the valve cover. I thought they would of run it to the PCV valve as mine is open due to the Skunk2 manifold. Obviously they know what they're doing, so didn't want look an idiot and question them as such.

Honda-atr

Advanced Member
I Did a lot of research for mine, and what I found out is that the best/preffered route is PCV to catch can, catch can to vacuum source intake manifold.
But some do it to the valve cover. Make sure that your PCV valve is working, I replaced mine when I connected the catch can.
Also use a baffled oil catch can ;)

Sources: Club RSX/K20A.org/Precision Turbo ;)

George657

Advanced Member
Will probably get shot for this but whatever.

On my
Leon Cupra R 280bhp
Focus rs Mk1 360bhp
Focus rs Mk2 420bhp

I sacked the whole lot off and ran the PCV system to atmosphere and every time I done it I felt a massive improvement in the car.

Think about it logically do you really want all that oil vapour entering the inlet system. For the best performance all you want is cold air and fuel.

I'll also be doing it to my Turbo Dc5 when it's ready.

2ndy

Advanced Member
I was planning to run one pipe from the rocker cover to then catch can then run one pipe from the pcv to the catch can. I'm fitting ITBs so it won't be returning back to the intake

Jinis dust

Advanced Member
Here's mine, bottom right of engine bay,

I run the rocker cover vent to catch can

Pcv to catch can.

I also knocked out the one way valve in the Pcv.

I use a vented to atmosphere can :)

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

2ndy

Advanced Member
That looks like what I'm going to do, it's really just to keep the MOT man happy as I've heard of them failing people for having just a filter on the rocker

Rom

Advanced Member
Theres a lot of research on this, over on club rsx, and honda tech.

Some guy actually connected a gauge to the rocker pipe he was running. If i remember correctly, it actually went positive at certain conditions. A lot of thought and design went into the oem setup. Its not as easy to just bin it.

You have to think outside of just 'why would i want dirty air back in my inlet'. The system will drawn clean air, to evacuate build up dirty gasses, if these gasses cant get out properly, it will effect the engine.

Its less the air side you want to lose, its the oil vapour. Which is why you need a baffled can, to separate the vapour.

George657

Advanced Member
I don't see how a cheap catch can will seperate oil 'vapour' into clean air. But hey that's just my opinion and I know it works.

Rom

Advanced Member
No catch can can turn oil vapour into clean air. They can separate the oil from the air though. And it's the oil going back into the intake that's the worst part.
It would then mix with clean air coming in the small can filter (the system should be under vacuum mostly)

Sent from my SM-G928F using Tapatalk

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
I never understood the point of a catch can. I'm sure the K20 engine race cars I know don't use them.

2ndy

Advanced Member
Chris. said:
I never understood the point of a catch can. I'm sure the K20 engine race cars I know don't use them.
Race cars don't need a MOT. I have nowhere to run my pcv valve and rocker breather and it's a MOT fail to vent these to atmosphere so catch can is my only option

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Race cars don't need a MOT. I have nowhere to run my pcv valve and rocker breather and it's a MOT fail to vent these to atmosphere so catch can is my only option
Ah, is that due to the intake system you're running?

2ndy

Advanced Member
Chris. said:
Ah, is that due to the intake system you're running?
Yea mate, it's the TDI north ITBs so nowhere for either to go sadly.. if it wasn't for mot being stupidly strict here I'd just run a wee filter like the race cars but trying to keep the car semi sensible and motd