Oil catch tank, engine oil cooler and gearbox oil cooler

Tarmac

Advanced Member
I was told that Cusco make some or all of the above for the DC5. Upon actually trying to order the oil catch tank and the engine oil cooler, I was told they weren't released yet and were still in R&D. Can anyone tell me if this is true and if it is, can anyone recommend good alternatives (excluding the J's Racing oil catch tank because u need a dry-cell battery for that :shock: )

Cheers!

Trung

Advanced Member
There are LOTs of oil catch can availabe in the market, its basically a universal item where you can easily make it to fit in your engine bay.
You can try Greddy/Trust, Sard, APEXi and Mugen. The Mugen will fit perfectly next to your JDM battery.
This is where I installed my Sard oil catch can

Greddy/Trust do an oil cooler kit for DC5 or if you know a motorsport company they can build one for you.

Tarmac

Advanced Member
Right - thanks Trung. btw your GruppeM RAM charger is very tasty! 8)

Another question - because the DC5 uses quite a bit of oil comparitively, is there any real use in getting an oil-catch tank? i.e. over X number of months has anyone with an oil-catch tank actually caught any oil?!?

T666YPR

What are they for?

And without one why does the breather pipe have to throw oil into the air intake?

I've not read up on these points. :oops:

When I took out my oem airbox,there was hardly any oil in the pipe whatsoever,so I'm guessing a catchtank is just for show on the DC5.

Matt_D

Trung how is that fitted, i mean where does it bolt too.

I've got a mocal to go on this weekend just need to make up some brackets to fit mine.

Dixcelbrake

Advanced Member
I had one fitted on my DC2 about 1 year ago...Its now got about 30ml of sticky oil inside the catch tank. :D

Tarmac

Advanced Member
they are mostly for show T666, but I was told they were eco-friendly and practical too. it's just the more I read about them and was told about them, the more gimmicky they sounded. but they are cheap so why not eh! and as ProRacer just said, after a LONG time, they do their stuff! :wink:

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
They are not so much to catch oil but to separate condensation/oily air / any other airborne debris that would otherwise go back into the intake instead of only air which the engine would prefer.

If you were to participate in majority of motorsports this will be a requirement. There are several different types and absolutly are worthwhile to have.
A good one will have a tap on the bottom to allow draining without removal.

Tarmac

Advanced Member
wtf??? i posted a reply to C&S over an hour ago and it is missing now too?

andre/SJ_Skyline - there is something weird going on with the boards lads!!

Trung

Advanced Member
Matt_D said:

I've got a mocal to go on this weekend just need to make up some brackets to fit mine.
I had to buy some L brackets from B&Q which bolted on the clamp around the catch can and underneath the fuse box.
Sorry I know it isn't very informative but it's hard to explain unless you've seen it. Should've asked me at GT Battle. :wink:

Matt_D

Trung said:
Matt_D said:

I had to buy some L brackets from B&Q which bolted on the clamp around the catch can and underneath the fuse box.
Sorry I know it isn't very informative but it's hard to explain unless you've seen it.

Should've asked me at GT Battle. :wink:
Yep i should of :D did'nt realise you had one though :?

Should'nt be too bad to fit just need to fabricate some brackets, beauty is i have an AEM cai so lots and lots of space to work in 8)

SpeeDemon

Hello
I have oil catch tank but i dont know where i have to install it.. does anybody show me the pictures where do i have to excatly install it? My car 2004 Honda ITR DC5

lockwood77

Advanced Member
Lee - is that it, just one tube? I thought there had to be a loop (i.e. another tube sending air back in)? The catch tank I've had sitting around for far too long has at least two attachments for tubing.