Oil change

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Just an update with things I found. The oil filter unscrewed by hand luckily as despite having bought a strap type removal tool there was limited access to get at it. Mine also seemed to want a bit more oil. I put in about 4.2 litres after running it up to temperature initially and it read to the top line but after checking it again today after a longer drive I left it stand 30 mins and it was reading halfway between full and empty. Put about 4.8 in then and took it for another drive. Left it 20 mins and read just under full so ended up chucking in the full 5 in mine. Will buy another litre to keep to hand in case top ups are needed. It never used oil before the service but the stuff that came out looked a bit thicker than what's just gone in. All done though with no dramas!

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Old stuff will look thicker mate. It's full of s*%t! But good one for doing it. Easy when you know how eh?

Coldfuse

Milano!!! :-3
Lots of harsh replies in here, some good info too though!

I've never changed the oil myself either and i wouldn't have known where to start, but reading some of the simple step-by-steps it doesn't sound like its hard.

gibby85

Advanced Member
Lots of harsh replies in here, some good info too though!

I've never changed the oil myself either and i wouldn't have known where to start, but reading some of the simple step-by-steps it doesn't sound like its hard.
Its not hard Daniel but i don't see why people have to be so bitchy about it! You don't learn anything without asking questions and you DON'T have to be a mechanic to change your oil and filter.

Give me a shout when you are planning on doing it and i will give you a hand Daniel.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Cheers for the positive replies and help. Glad there are still enough people who want to help each other as a forum community. Really can't see the point in being so arsey about something like this but as said some good comments and help to balance it all out. I know it may offend some but part of the decision to buy this car was to have something easier to work on and get stuck in on. I'd sooner spend the cash I have on good quality parts than to compromise on stuff to cover labour costs. So far I've managed to do everything with the RSX manual some patience and some helpful people on here. I've done roll centre adjusters/balljoints, full suspension swap (coilovers for oem) both driveshafts and now a service too. I've no experience in working on cars but just want to get stuck in, to save some money and learn some skills. Only thing I am going to pay for is a clutch change next month and to be honest I'm gutted about that but with no garage and the Teg being my daily drive I guess you have to recognise your limitations. Cheers guys. Adam - be good to meet you on August 12th meet :)

Vtequila

Dutchy
Who can tell if its possible to change an oil filter if all oil is still in the engine? I forgot to put the new one

Rom

Advanced Member
Yes, it is.
Some oil will escape that's in the filter, and the feed to it.

But the vast majority of the oil will be in the sump.
So you will only lose a little bit of oil. Just fit the new one, start it up, let it run a little, switch off and check level. Top up as needed.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Phelpo711

Advanced Member
Jesus all this because someone wanted help changing oil!

I work in engineering and I work on a lot bigger things than car engines and we are ALWAYS taught through out the apprenticeship to ask if you don't know - so fair play!!

And if you do find you've over filled it you can always drain a bit out!

Helpful hint - If you can't undo your oil filter, get a big screwdriver and punch it through and use it as a handle. Works a treat!

Have fun!

Phelpo711

Advanced Member
.... And also I would pay for the clutch If mine went..... I did mine on my ep3 lying on my driveway by myself with no manual etc haha very awkward without a ramp!!! Can't be arsed doing that again!