Oil coolers?

Trung

Advanced Member
Has anyone installed an oil cooler into their DC5s?
If so, what size cooler do you use or what kit?

After watching Best Motoring - Enduro Challenge* oil temps of a stock DC5 reached 134°C :shock: during a 20min session on Tsukuba Circuit. I've done some research to find that is far too hot and will cause damage to the engine.

I've recently installed an oil temp gauge and have been getting 90°C - 100°C on motorway cruises. I've been informed by a few mechanics that that's even too hot for daily drives. I know for fact when I'll hit above 120°C when I go to Cadwell next month.

Truffs
If you're reading this. Do you have an oil cooler on your Greddy turbo DC5? I can't imagine you running one without it, I would be suprised if Jakan havent advise you on this. :?
If so. What kit do you use?

*Torrent link. Highly recommended to watch this.

truffs

Trung, give me a day or two on this as i have to do some digging re oil temps. i got a bit carried away at bedford and stayed out for almost 3/4 hour the first time :shock: but before i went on track i re-set all my computers so they should have given me max temp/boost/water etc. Im pretty sure i have an oil cooler/reserve. i will find out what make it is and give you a shout back

JT

Wow dude! You're running 90-100 on motorway cruises? What RPM are you running at and what engine mods do you have? Cruising at about 3300 to 3500RPM shouldn't get you anywhere close to 85 degress C (ambient temp dependant). In singapore, average temp is about 32 and my oil temp (reading of the drain plug) is only about 78. I know I should be adding a couple more degrees for temperatures that the bearings are seeing. So if you're running your temp off the drain plug like me, your engine is running pretty hot.

Trung

Advanced Member
I do around 4,000rpm at speeds of around 80mph in 6th gear. I rarely plant my foot to the floor. Engine mods are on my signiture

My oil temperature reading is off the oil filter sandwich plate so therefore oil maybe cooler at the oil pan?

tailslide

doesn't the DC5R already come with a stock oil cooler? i recall that this is in addition to the huge heat sink available from the 4.5 litres of engine oil. dun think ur oil temps should be that high dude.

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
DC5 has no Oil cooler as standard, to clear that point up.

Mine is getting an oil cooler atm.

last year on 2 trackdays, I got a reading of 104 deg C, from the sump. So on full power for extended periods of time, the oil does get very hot and then degrades.

My temp was partially also due to the super charger, to clear that up as well.

Mike

Sharpey

Advanced Member
Hi Mike,

Can you say where you are getting your oil cooler from? I want one better be safe than sorry.

Chris

Louis V

JT said:
Wow dude! You're running 90-100 on motorway cruises? What RPM are you running at and what engine mods do you have? Cruising at about 3300 to 3500RPM shouldn't get you anywhere close to 85 degress C (ambient temp dependant). In singapore, average temp is about 32 and my oil temp (reading of the drain plug) is only about 78. I know I should be adding a couple more degrees for temperatures that the bearings are seeing. So if you're running your temp off the drain plug like me, your engine is running pretty hot.
Hi JT,

Actually, if you have installed a oil temp gauge, 90-100 is the average temp for driving in S'pore. Just for your info. Oil cooler not really necessary for daily driving. Meant for those who go tracking often. Imho.

truffs

Trung,

Yes i have an oil cooler the make is a Greddy (Theres a surprise!!!!) i run 70-80 whilst cruising and the max it read at bedford was 106 which i think is excellent for a turbo and a high speed track like that :D hope this helps

JT

Trung said:
I do around 4,000rpm at speeds of around 80mph in 6th gear. I rarely plant my foot to the floor. Engine mods are on my signiture

My oil temperature reading is off the oil filter sandwich plate so therefore oil maybe cooler at the oil pan?
Since it's off the sandwich plate, I think the reading should be more accurate. In that case, you should be ok.... I think. Oil coolers are nice to have but if improperly located, could actually increase your oil temp rather than lower it. I haven't got one on mine for fear of losing oil pressure (I don't know if my concerns are valid but since there is more area for the oil to cover, the oil pump may have to be uprated) I know many guys running oil coolers with the standard oil pump and are doing fine. It's just me.

JT

Louis V said:
JT said:
Hi JT,

Actually, if you have installed a oil temp gauge, 90-100 is the average temp for driving in S'pore. Just for your info. Oil cooler not really necessary for daily driving. Meant for those who go tracking often. Imho.
Hi Louis,
From my previous post, my oil temp is running 78. If 90-100 is the average temp then I guess I'm running cooler than most :D
I've got a friend driving an EP3 and he's doing about 85, but 100 seems abit high don't you think? If your temp is reading of a sandwich plate then it's probably more accurate and also higher?

Trung

Advanced Member
Truffs
Do you have more info on your Greddy oil cooler?
How many rows does it have and can you get some pics of where it's installed please? Is your reading coming from oil pan or a sandwich plate?

Would using different oil with viscosity ratings affect oil temps?
I'm using Mobil 1 0w-40, it's very thin so could that be a reason for high temps?

truffs

Trung,

dont take my word for it but looking at the greddy site the only one for the teg is this one - 10 row $590. the picture above this is the one that i have installed.

It is installed as follows...... if you are looking at the teg head on it is situated bottom left. the bumper is coming off in the next couple of weeks if you can be patient i will get you some photos :D it must work though to keep my oil at the temp it was with the usage it was getting on the track :p

re the oil question it is what ever JAKAN use to be honest with you as they do the maintaince etc with the car :D

hope this helps a little.

Trung

Advanced Member
Interesting, Mocal states 13 rows are recommended for 2.0ltr and above. The Greddy.com site doesn't show full list of Greddy parts.
I'll wait until you get some photos :)

ps2london

Advanced Member
me get between 80-95 at normal driving. don't feel any differnet between hot or cold day.

I use Gastrol RS 10-60w oil

i found 2 track are hot. is Donington and SPA.

140 at 15 mins at Donington. 140 at 20 mins at SPA. both and hot day and was driving hard. then i start driving slowly at 6th gear let the car cool down to 110 then go back to pit :)

i think if u are new to track, doesn't really need that, becuase u won't push the car to the max but i do recommand if u have spare cash!

f1nal zeros

Advanced Member
Maybe I can help guys

Ok I just read the thread and maybe I can help. I just recently had an oil cooler installed about a week ago for my track event this weekend.
I payed around $300 dollars for the set up.
13 row oil cooler, sandwich plate, lines, and end caps.
I placed it in the front passenger side fender behind the bumper. But I have the small area(where the fog lamp would go, or your brake ducts) removed and have made a ram air effect for the oil cooler. Here are some pictures. Hope this helps.

If you guys have any questions feel free to ask. Either pm me, email me or Aim.

Email: f1nalzeros@yahoo.com
Aim:DC5Mando

Trung

Advanced Member
Does your kit have a thermostat?
Also how are you getting your oil temp and press readings?
I'm using the Greddy sandwich plate for oil readings and I have a feeling there isnt enough room for another sandwich plate to feed the oil cooler :?

f1nal zeros

Advanced Member
Trung said:
Does your kit have a thermostat?
Also how are you getting your oil temp and press readings?
I'm using the Greddy sandwich plate for oil readings and I have a feeling there isnt enough room for another sandwich plate to feed the oil cooler :?
Well at the moment stock thermostat is being run, stock oil pump. I have the oil temp/pressure gauge on order but had no time to install due to the track event this weekend. The gauge would not arrive till after the track event so I held off.

As for room for another sandwich plate I doubt it would fit. It was kind of hard to make it work. I had to run a mobile 206 oil filter to work.

I am not sure if there is a sandwhich plate that would allow for 4 ports but you never know.

f1nal zeros

Advanced Member
Ok guys I just tested the temperatures of the line going into the oil cooler and the line leading out of the oil cooler leading back into the engine with a heat gun my friend martin at AA road racing had. Line leading into the oil cooler read 148 while the line leading out into the engine read 106 degrees. This was while my car was idling, so the gauge should be going in soon along with the 2 quart electronic oil pump.

My track day is tomorrow and sunday so I should have video of it.