Oil coolers?

iwilson

I thought they all have a stock water to oil cooler located where the oil filter screws on :?: As far as oil temp goes lower is not always better! 100C is fine. You should only contemplate an oil cooler if you are seeing more than 130C. 70C is borderline low - some ECU's will not allow operation over a certain RPM if the oil temp is to low. If you want good engine life then fitting an oil temp gauge and not flooring it till the oil temp has hit 80C is a smart move (you'll be surprised how long it takes the oil to come up to temp compared to the water temp).

If you do fit an additional cooler then a water/oil rather than an air/oil cooler is preferrable. This is because a water/oil cooler will help to heat the oil up when cold and will also continue to cool the oil even at a standstill.

Trung

Advanced Member
On track, the car will no doubt get hotter than 130C hence my enquiry.
some ECU's will not allow operation over a certain RPM if the oil temp is to low
Hence why you cannot enter high cam mode when the engine is still cold :wink:
If you do fit an additional cooler then a water/oil rather than an air/oil cooler is preferrable. This is because a water/oil cooler will help to heat the oil up when cold and will also continue to cool the oil even at a standstill.
Please show me an additional water/oil cooler kit?
You're the only person out of 4 race garages I've spoke to have advised me on this. I thought a thermostate will allow oil to get up to working temperature regardless if its an air/oil cooler or not?

iwilson

There are plenty of Laminova type kits out there by MOCAL. The reason a water/oil cooler is preferable is because the coolant system warms up faster than the oil system. This means the coolant system heats the oil up (since it's warmer than the oil - the heat will flow from the coolant to the oil) whereas with an air oil cooler the thermostat just remains closed till the oil is up to temp, so it's not actively warming the oil up (it's just preventing the oil from flowing to the cooler). In addition a water oil cooler is still working even when you come off track. The advantage of an air oil cooler is price, ease of installation and weight...

The stock water/oil cooler does a very good job despite its size. I don't see much over 130C on track - which is fine if you're running a good synthetic (I use Motul myself).

Duncs

the GTiR has a water/oil heater/cooler and worked very well, combined with a good oil i never had any problems, track time is just as important, 15-20min sessions is enough (except truffs, what was it 40-45 mins) thats an endurance event !!!!

truffs

hmmm more like 50mins :? got a little carried away, it was my first track day. Paid for it though by burning my actuator. proofed to 700 and i manged to burn this off :( o well you live and learn. No regrets though bloody brilliant day :lol:

f1nal zeros

Advanced Member
Well the oil cooler was a success on the track. I burned absolutly no oil the entire weekend. Last event I burned quite a bit, so this little thing helped me alot.

Next on the list will be oil temp/pressure gauge and accusump 2 qt. oil pump.

type-r-dunk

Advanced Member
One other thing that can help is to heat wrap the exhaust under the sump to stop heat transfer. My DC2 hit about 140 last summer, me thinks a cooler may be a good idea.

One other thing a cooler helps with is reduces oil starvation when cournering hard (like baffle plates) as you have a large capacity of presurised oil in reserve.

Yes all Type R's have water/oil coolers and the DC2 has larger sump for more oil. Any one know if the DC5 has a larger sump???

Dunx