Oil Grade and Suitability Question...

Sumimasen

Advanced Member
Hi guys,

I really need to get some engine oil pretty sharpish, and have had problems locating some that is obviously compatible.

I understand that the car takes 5W40 oil as a rule, and mine had Silkolene on it's last service. I went to HellFrauds to pick some up in the interim, and the only decent 5W40 I could find was marked as being for turbo diesel cars. Is this ok for a DC5, or are the oils for petrol and diesel different?

Assuming that this oil is not ok, would I be able to use 5W30 to top up for now, even though it's currently running 5W40?

Sorry if this all seems a bit noob-ish - I'm just pretty useless with stuff like this!

Cheers in advance!

fenomeno26

Advanced Member
The DC5 manual says , 5w40, and 5w30 are both suitable. 5w40 is better for the summer. I use Texaco Havoline Synthetic, 5w40, but here in Cyprus i could use 10W60 in summer because is too hot.

Sumimasen

Advanced Member
Thanks for the reply.

So, in the short term, I will get some 5W30 to top up, and get the car booked in for an oil and filter change on my next free weekend.

Just a couple of other things...

Is it ok to mix 5W30 with the 5W40 that's in there at the moment?

Also, the dipstick has two holes to signify min and max. I assume that the difference between them would be about 500ml. Is this about right?

Thanks again

Sumimasen

Advanced Member
Not sure what to do then.

I need to put some oil in the car before I run it again, and I need to use the car for work (Luckily I managed to get a lift today). I intend to buy a 5ltr bottle of Silkolene from Opie Oils, but I need to do a top up tonight, so can't wait for that to be delivered.

If anyone can offer a solution I'd really appreciate it.

Cheers in advance

Ken A

Advanced Member
It'll be ok in the short term if you mix it. If you could source a 1L bottle of 5W40 of course it would be better to top up with this but hey, 5W30 is better than having no oil in !! :wink:

Sumimasen

Advanced Member
It's ok :D

Just had a chat with the guy at Opie Oils, and he suggested that 0W40 Castrol Edge or Mobil 1 would be fine for topping up until the next oil change. Very helpful guy. 8)

Ordered a 5ltr bottle of Silkolene too, ready for the oil change, and I'll make sure I'm never caught short again! :oops:

Cheers guys!

kingston

Advanced Member
Best to order another 1ltr more for the continous topping ups until the next service, dont want to be caught short do we :wink: