Oil leak after Oil change

jimmy_atr

Advanced Member
Last Saturday i did an oil and filter change on the car, all went ok and took it out for drive and all seemed fine. Checked levels and although very clear (new oil) it seemed perfect.

Left it in garage overnight and then following evening noticed small patch of oil underneath. It was dirty and so assumed it was where the old filter was removed and it had dripped down.

Checked oil level again and this time it seemed it was on bottom level. But this was only 45mins after driving so thought maybe i should leave it longer. Checked again and later it would appear to be at lower level. So i topped up with 250ml and checked 10mins later and it was back to top :?

Left it alone then until last night when i got home from football and underneath of car (the subframe) was glimmering with oil as if its leaked down.

So this morning - after leaving it all night to be stone cold - i jacked it all up and had a poke around - i was certain that maybe the filter wasnt sitting right - so removed drivers side tyre and had a nosey ready to remove filter and re-apply.

But around the filter there is no indication of any leaks at all (pic1 + pic3) - but the subframe underneath was clearly oily (Pic 4 after clean but thats place all oil gathered). I checked all around the filter and no leaks visible at all. I checked again the dipstick level and the oil has a bit of colour to it now and is smack bang in the middle.

Ive come to my limited conclusion that the oil that came out of the old filter has gathered within the subframe through the hole directly beneath the filter position (Pic 2) and is slowly seeping out of the holes. Now that the oil has some colour to it ill be checking the levels all the time to check this is the case.

Pic 1

Pic 2

Pic 3

Pic 4

Any ideas? I assume if oil filter was leaking then there would be clear evidence of this around the filter? Also i double checked the sump plug and thats all ok.

Im a bit paranoid now to drive it but will continue to check levels, but has this happened to anyone before? the subframe does have these inner channels that the old oil could have gathered so it seems likely but im not 100% sure.

James

martin200

Advanced Member
Did any oil drop onto the subframe when you removed the oil filter? I suspect it did, and the oil has found its way to the floor. If you get any more traces of oil, it might be worth just changing the oil filter and sump plug washer again...

DC5-RS

hello, dont worry im pretty sure there is no leak had the same kinda thing happen to me. and i had many oil chnges basically when u take the car in for the oil change most garage mechanics dont take any pride and joy over there work , i say most but not all garages are like this ok :)

what happens is they take off the oil filter and replace it with thte new one and they dont wipe off the oil mess after they removed the old part so this oil drips down onto the subframes etc and into the gaps. You will need to wipe it up yourself once in a while or you can speed it the process of getting it to stop dripping by using some kind of degreaer then hosing it down clean. it took me 3 days after a oil change to clean up the oil drips.

if there is no visible leaks from the oil filter area and none at the sump plug then nothing to worry about

jimmy_atr

Advanced Member
yeah a fair bit of oil did drop from old filter (such awkward place!) and the hole in the sub frame is directly underneath so im thinking thats where a lot went.

Ill keep checking the area as i have cleaned it all up to see if anything dripping down and also check the dipstick regularly just to confirm its ok.

Otherwise ill have to take Martin's advice and whip off Oil Filter.

martin200

Advanced Member
jimmy_atr said:
yeah a fair bit of oil did drop from old filter (such awkward place!) and the hole in the sub frame is directly underneath so im thinking thats where a lot went.

Ill keep checking the area as i have cleaned it all up to see if anything dripping down and also check the dipstick regularly just to confirm its ok.

Otherwise ill have to take Martin's advice and whip off Oil Filter.
I am pretty sure you don't have anything to worry about mate ;)

gregb

Advanced Member
Same happens me after doing an oil change,all over the subframe.
seems impossible to do it neatly without a ramp.

jimmy_atr

Advanced Member
:D

Just checked oil level on dipstick and its right up to top level so no leaks 8)

Yeah tis tricky to get it out but next time if its not on ramps ill be sure to put something down over subframe to limit the spilage.

Gaz 1

Advanced Member
No worries mate same thing happened to me to, just some oil from removing the oil filter.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
its impossible to change filter without leaking oil into subframe even with a ramp, the good garages (TGM etc) will take time to clean this up.