Oil leak - timing chain cover or head gasket

GIBLETS

Advanced Member
Hi all,

Just working through some issues with a fresh import DC5 I've recently bought and what was a minor oil leak suspected to be coming from the vtec solenoid/oil pressure switch is turning out to be something more....

I replaced the solenoid gasket and re-sealed the oil pressure switch with hondabond which has resulted in a reduction of the leak, however a leak still appears to exist and is coming from the same area, running along the split line between the timing chain cover and block at the rear of the engine.

I've booked the car in with a respected mechanic to have a full timing chain service done, when booking the car in the guy agreed that due to the location of the leak and the lack of visibility of the area it's difficult to pinpoint the exact location.

The guy asked if I'd given any thoughts to the possibility of the leak coming from the head gasket, which has obviously planted the seed of doubt in my mind. Having 6 weeks until he can fit me in I thought I'd ask the question.....

Are there any common issues with oil leaks from the head gasket in this area of the engine? I'm surmising that as the vtec solenoid is located in the same corner the main oil feed gallery from the block to the head runs through this corner of the head gasket making it a possibility.

I'm absolutely certain that the solenoid and oil pressure switch aren't leaking but struggling to pinpoint the exact location of the leak.

The car is on 90k miles with jap service history. I'd intended on doing a timing chain service next year for peace of mind however in doing it early I'm hoping to kill 2 birds with 1 stone so to speak.

Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I'd like to be as prepared as possible prior to dropping the car off.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Please enlighten me as to what a timing chain service is? Not a funny question, ive just never heard of one in that sense before. The only thing to check would be the tensioner but thats only an inspection. Suppose you could take the rocker cover off to physically see the chain, but without taking half the engine to bits its not really an easy access item.

They are supposed to be a lifetime item and the only service they need is regular oil changes and maintenance of components which you do on a normal service. Although i have seen people say they need to be changed at 100k miles..... I had mine changed as i had to replace a part that required the chain being removed so it was logical to put new on, however if there is no need i wouldn't touch it. Mine had done 135k miles at the time and TGM showed me that the chain had very little wear, and the one that he took off was still within factory tolerance and absolutely fine on the tensioner.

Are you sure the leak isn't coming from the rocker cover gasket? Thats a cheap fix, but ive not heard of a leak from the head gasket area before. I suppose there is a first time for everything but it sounds much less sinister to me. Is it not residue from your previous leak? Trying to guage where you mean....is it higher up than the exhaust manifold?

James

GIBLETS

Advanced Member
Hi Jimmer, thanks for your reply!

As in timing chain service I meant to replace the chain, tensioner, guides and front crankshaft oil seal with oem Honda items.

I've cleaned the engine off the best I can with old rags multiple times and the leak has returned and appears to be coming from the rear of the timing chain cover at around The 2nd & 3rd bolt down from the top, vtec solenoid is bone dry as is the area the oil pressure switch is mounted. Exhaust manifold is bone dry too (took a million photos of that area to try and pinpoint the leak with no joy).

I understand that people have mixed views on the whole chain replacement topic however with it being known that they can stretch and move the tensioner towards the end of its serviceable stroke I thought whilst in that area it would be best practice to replace the lot for peace of mind.

The guy doing the work also agrees and has a flawless reputation for maintaining and building performance engines/cars. Albeit Audi RS/Quattros etc.

I'm tempted to pressure wash the timing chain cover from the top to try and localise the leak however I'm concerned this may cause more issues.... Really hoping it doesn't turn into head gasket replacement to resolve the leak!

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Sorry i meant is the leak coming from above the exhaust manifold? As in trying to guage a location. If so that would probably be just the cam cover gasket.

Might be worth a call to TGM to hear from there experience as to where leaks can appear from etc. :)

GIBLETS

Advanced Member
Ah I get you, certainly not from the cam cover, it seems to be coming from around the most awkward area in terms of visibility, I think I need to give the engine a good pressure wash in all honesty and just sit with the engine running until I see the first trace of oil leaking in order to try and pin point the location.

It's a shame as I really just want to enjoy the car!

Spoke to Tom at TGM a short while back whilst sourcing a few bits, a top bloke and would be my first port of call if he was more local (opposite ends of the country).

discodave22

Advanced Member
Just spray a good amount of brake cleaner to wash it away. I wouldn't go pressure washer.
I have the same problem only its on the opposite side, head gasket did cross my mind but it started when I first took the rocker cover off which had Hondabond on it. So if you have recently or during a service (valve clearances) When it was off, seal it back up.
Although it hasn't full stopped on mine I suspect it could be the oil seals.

Jinis dust

Advanced Member
I very much doubt it would be your head gasket..

I'd say buy a new genuine rocker cover gasket and try that's. It even says in the manual to apply a small amount of hondabond to each corner.

I bought a non genuine one, and it leaked within a month.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

LJFoley

I had a leak after replacing the rocker cover gasket it continued. Turned out to be the VTEC solenoid gasket 👍🏼 cheap easy fix.

GIBLETS

Advanced Member
I was and still am hoping for an easy fix, the thought of waiting 7 weeks for my slot at the garage is getting me hacked off now and even considering doing the job myself which I promised myself I wouldn't do!

Upped my game in the search for the leak, bought some gunk engine cleaner to fully clean the engine and going to cover the suspect areas in talcum powder and run the engine in order to identify the source of the leak.

Off to Manchester for a few days away so will update when I get round to doing a bit more digging :)

GIBLETS

Advanced Member
So I've finally found the time to properly diagnose the leak and ended up opting for a UV tracer dye in the oil due to the leak being so small, the final conclusion is that the leak is coming from the head gasket and is likely to be from the main oil gallery feeding the Vtec Solenoid which runs up the rear left corner of the block/head.

Feeling quite fortunate to have diagnosed the issue properly given how minor the leak is and that I didn't go to the trouble of having the timing chain etc. replaced and the cover re-sealed which would have been a complete waste of time, but also hacked off to have found such an issue.

Other than this the car drives and performs flawlessly.

The options I have but not too sure where to go:
  1. Monitor and live with the leak with a view to fixing it when something more major needs doing to warrant pulling the engine, it literally takes hundreds of miles for the oil to even form a drip on the sump (Not really ideal but won't cause any issues other than the odd spot of oil on the drive).
  2. Dive in and replace the head gasket (not sure what the cost of this would be labour wise and time is tight at the moment so would be better to pay someone to do it).
I guess that given the reliability of the K20A this is an isolated issue rather than a common problem, I've googled to see if anyone has encountered this issue to no avail.

Thoughts and opinions appreciated!

Rogue Status

I know your frustrations Giblets! Had a very minor oil leak since I've had my teg. Drips few times a week if that. Thought it was rocker cover gasket which I changed recently but still seems to leak. Can't justify throwing a lot of money at something so minor, as much as it annoys me. Just going to keep an eye on it and live with it.

MissMyDC2

Advanced Member
Only issue I can see is if you are going to sell the car and it may put off a potential buyer. If you are going to keep it then its manageable if its only the odd drip. I have an accord thats been a tiny bit damp since I bought it 50K ago.

Local place to me are brilliant and affordable if you do want to go down the replacement route. I would wait until there is something else that needs doing, save up a few quid and have her pampered whilst the head is changed. Either way if its tiny i wouldn't worry about it.

GIBLETS

Advanced Member
That's the plan so far as I've not witnessed any drop in level on the dipstick and only one spot on the drive, I don't do many miles anyhow and will regularly check the oil level. Certainly not something that's going to manifest itself into a major leak overnight.

Plan to sort a few minor cosmetics out over the winter and accumulate enough parts to change out the timing chain and associated equipment, replace the head gasket and rebuild the head and also replace the clutch/inspect the gearbox all at the same time, may change the final drive and upgrade the manifolds whilst it's in bits too ready for a Kpro.

Been busy with the car on axle stands for the past few weeks, 8.25l of Bilt Hamber underseal and cavity wax consumed so far, just got to put it all back together now :)