oil level question

Lcr Dave

hi guys, just picked up a dc5 :D anyway when i got home i thought id check the oil, when i looked at the dipstick it looked like there was no oil in it, i triple checked it and still the same readings the trouble is the oil is so clear its hard to see where the level actually is, i left it for a bit to cool down and i can see a blob of oil on the bottom of the dipstick, but im just unsure whaer it actually is, i got paranoid and when up the garage to get some oil but they only had 5-30 castrol magnatec, ive put about 1/2 a litre in, but to be honest i didnt really see a visual improvement, so now im worried i may have put to much in, any advice? let it cool right down?
thanks

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
oil needs to be checked when the engine is at normal operating temperature.

Magnatec is a semi synthetic (I think) so shouldn't really be mixed with fully synth, 5-30 is an ok grade to use tho.

If the oil is really clean it can be hard to see but should be visible in the daylight.
Overfilling slightly (1/2 a litre) won't give any issues

Lcr Dave

thanks mate im letting it cool down at the mo ill go check in 30 mins but ill check again in the morning when ive got some daylight

Lcr Dave

hi mate yeah i know about the warm checking, i checked it warm and cold and it looks all good, i was paranoid over nothing and ended up putting a bit too much oil in but not enough to worry about, i had a service last week and the oil is still really clear you can hardly see it on the dip stick, they should of painted the end matt black so is a bit more visible but i may do that myself, thanks for the advice mate

Dave

tron2k3

Advanced Member
If you have clean oil and running fully synthetic it is quite difficult to see the level sometime as when it's warm it just drips off, I have to check it a few times just to make sure it's at the right level :lol:

Lcr Dave

lol i must of checked about 20 times last night, i was so paranoid id run it out of oil on the way home! but its much easier to tell when the engine is cold so i know its got oil in now and dont need to worry, hopefully it will darken up abit for the next time i check it and ill be able to see the level with the oil warm,
Thanks
Dave