Oil Light, possible sensor issue?

donzooo

Advanced Member
Hi guys

Basically when driving yesterday I just happened to look down at my dash and noticed my oil light was dim. I was on a section of road where I could not stop and the light then got brighter and then turned itself off. This was just on a gentle road with no extreme bends or cornering.

The engine oil was checked to be at maximum and there was no audible sound from the engine, my ears are very in tune and I can always hear from the tappets when the oil level starts to drop a tiny bit below maximum.

Basically I can't get to a garage until friday and wondering if this is a possible sensor issue. My fear is that there is a problem with either oil pump or filter but as I said the engine is running extremely smooth and not indicative of low oil pressure in the slightest.

The engine is however due an oil and filter change which I will do myself during the week just to be safe as it has been 4-5k since the last one

Is anyone in the know or had a similar experience with this matter??

Thanks!

Donald

miki1212

Advanced Member
you need to screw a gauge in to determine whether or not you do actually have oil pressure before assuming it's the sensor

Stuarty

Advanced Member
I wouldn't worry too much then Donald, if you have already had the oil pressure checked then it's almost definitely the sensor that's on its way out.

donzooo

Advanced Member
Stuarty said:
I wouldn't worry too much then Donald, if you have already had the oil pressure checked then it's almost definitely the sensor that's on its way out.
For the sake of £10-20 I'll change the sensor this week and see if it helps. Getting a garage to give the system a check over tomorrow. Cheers buddy.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
its really a switch not a sensor, it only detects low pressure, generally they dont fail, Honda electrics are excellent normally,
It also shouldnt have been dim , you either have enough pressure or not, so the light should be on or off, its possible theres another wiring fault there somewhere , but just to be sure heres the pages from the manul to test the switch

At idle 10psi- minimum
at 3000 rpm -44psi minimum

donzooo

Advanced Member
C&S Evo7 said:
its really a switch not a sensor, it only detects low pressure, generally they dont fail, Honda electrics are excellent normally,
It also shouldnt have been dim , you either have enough pressure or not, so the light should be on or off, its possible theres another wiring fault there somewhere , but just to be sure heres the pages from the manul to test the switch

At idle 10psi- minimum
at 3000 rpm -44psi minimum
Yeh it was within spec mate. Spoke to TGM who actually had a DC5 in with the exact same problem by chance. They changed the pressure switch and the light seemed to stay off so it may just be a rare occurrence.

I'm also going to contact my import company to see how they wired in the speedo conversion to find out if there may be a slight wiring issue. Normally the light should come on bright, the fact that it is dim suggests some kind of fault.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
yes, dim is strange ,

the speedo convertor should go no where near the oil pressure switch, BUT if its behind the clocks, i have seen the plugs come lose after a time giving some strange faults,

donzooo

Advanced Member
C&S Evo7 said:
yes, dim is strange ,

the speedo convertor should go no where near the oil pressure switch, BUT if its behind the clocks, i have seen the plugs come lose after a time giving some strange faults,
Yeh those were my thoughts, whether it was done at the gearbox or behind the clocks.

Thanks for your help mate, much appreciated.

civic17_99

Advanced Member
Donald_TSC said:
Yeh it was within spec mate. Spoke to TGM who actually had a DC5 in with the exact same problem by chance. They changed the pressure switch and the light seemed to stay off so it may just be a rare occurrence.

I'm also going to contact my import company to see how they wired in the speedo conversion to find out if there may be a slight wiring issue. Normally the light should come on bright, the fact that it is dim suggests some kind of fault.
That was my DC5 in for the same issue. My Oil light came on at work shortly after starting it so i checked the oil and it was full. So I spoke to TGM and ended up having the car recovered as Tom said it was best not to drive it until we had determined what the issue was. He checked the oil pressure which was spot on and changed the Oil pressure switch which cured the light coming on.

Rob.

Advanced Member
I had same problem last year with the oil pressure light flickering on an off, changed the sensor an never been on since....

As said its either on or off not flickering on dim

donzooo

Advanced Member
civic17_99 said:
That was my DC5 in for the same issue. My Oil light came on at work shortly after starting it so i checked the oil and it was full. So I spoke to TGM and ended up having the car recovered as Tom said it was best not to drive it until we had determined what the issue was. He checked the oil pressure which was spot on and changed the Oil pressure switch which cured the light coming on.
It was very coincidental that I spoke to Tom while your car was in, said it was a first for him! After about 20 mins driving yeh? My oil pressure was spot on too.

He kept me updated on what the problem was with yours and I just took my sensor out and gave it a quick once over and it's been fine since.

civic17_99

Advanced Member
Donald_TSC said:
It was very coincidental that I spoke to Tom while your car was in, said it was a first for him! After about 20 mins driving yeh? My oil pressure was spot on too.

He kept me updated on what the problem was with yours and I just took my sensor out and gave it a quick once over and it's been fine since.
It was lucky i suppose because like you say Tom said he'd never seen it before and told me you had called up with the same issue. I drove mine to work that morning and it was fine, it was only after I went to leave work in the afternoon shortly after starting the car I noticed the light came on and it was dim.