Oil replacement and Oil Filter Swap

Teggs

Have looked though these guides, sorry if I've missed it but cannot find any info on an Oil change and filter replacement. Changing the oil is pretty straightforward but have not seen any guidance on an oil filter change.

When I had my DC2, a mate (former mechanic) basically did it all for me, the oil filter was at the back and bottom of the engine, a pain in the arse to get to (no ramp or proper jack/axle stands), but he managed it without having to take anything off the car, he did however use a kind of strap/belt tool to get purchase and was fairly easy with that. Are DC5's a similar arrangement?

Darren4

Advanced Member
The dc5 oil filter is so easy to change (not as easy as my e46) but very easy.

From the top of the engine on your left just beside the left strut, look down and you'll be able to see it.

If it's on normal you should get enough purchase on it to turn it. Loosen away and you'll have your oil filter off.

Just make sure before hand you place some cloths under to avoid oil goin everywhere.

You might have to move an aftermarket strut bar like I had to, but that's it :)

spooke

Advanced Member

nellly

Advanced Member
depending on which ape put the oil filter on last time it will either be easy or a pain in the ass as you try and force the filter off :)

i always start on the filter just to make sure I can crack it off, they hand tight again then drop the oil and remove the filter.

Teggs

Thanks for the reply's, most helpful

Don't forget to use a new washer on the sump plug.
Probably would have missed that!

i always start on the filter just to make sure I can crack it off, they hand tight again then drop the oil and remove the filter.
Again, great tip!

When my mate did the replacement he also 'prepped' the new filter with a 'fingering' of oil on the new filter contact surfaces, I assume that this is good practice, needless to say we are now closer than ever! :xgrin:

Darren4

Advanced Member
Yes just get some of the old oil and rub some around the rubber o ring on the oil filter.

That and being hand tightish, the filter will come off easy when it needs changing

MissMyDC2

Advanced Member
I find the filter a complete pig to get off by hand. It's in a bugger of a place. The tool linked above will save a whole lot of swearing.