Oil Starvation

TyperItr

Advanced Member
Just wondering what happens to the car when this happens? does it shut off automatically?

Was cornering hard on Saturday over a sharp enough S bend when the oil pressure dropped and the car practically shut down. It stayed running but there was no power and the oil pressure gauge dropped to zero. I noticed the power gone straight away just coming out of the corner, I then looked to my oil pressure gauge straight away and saw no pressure then immediately shut the car off.

I pulled it in to the side and left it sit for a few minutes, cranked it over a few times before I started it. I then started it up and everything was back to normal.

My diagnostics of this is that I need a baffled sump. Just wondering am I right. Do people think that is what happened?

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
What tyres are you running.

Even if you have semi slicks on the road you must have been going hell for leather.

If the oil level was up at the the max you shouldn't have a problem.

But it does sound like you need a baffled sump.

TyperItr

Advanced Member
Yeah I didn't check the oil level the last week so it could have been down a bit, but not much as I keep it topped up. Nothing happened the car anyway cos it was such a short period of time from when it happened to when I shut the car off.

I have bridgestone re050s on the front and toyos on the rear. To be honest it rarely gets driven the way these cars are supposed to be driven at all.

Does the ecu automatically cut the engine when low oil pressure occurs?

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
Think we need to know what level the oil is at before commenting really as I don't think RE050 on the road would generate enough grip to get oil starvation

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Yes I've experianced starvation before and yes it cuts engine out. I papped it the first time it happened but now I have baffles :)

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

jdmsteve

Advanced Member
Sump baffle is the only way to go if you drive hard or spend time on track. I know there a pain in the ass to fit, but it saves spending thousands on a rebuild 😉

dotty

Advanced Member
Sump baffle is the only way to go if you drive hard or spend time on track. I know there a pain in the ass to fit, but it saves spending thousands on a rebuild 😉

This.

I got a spoon one, Tgm do their version again now too.