Oil Temps..

Ryanj1993

Advanced Member
Did a track day at Castle Combe on Monday and noticed my oil temp gauge was showing the car sitting between 110-120, with some instances actually hitting the 120 mark. I knew this wasn't ideal so did a few cool down laps before coming into the pits.

My question is, what can i do to reduce this? Oil cooler time? New Rad? Thicker oil? Car runs on 5w40 at the moment.

Any advice or previous experience is appreciated. Ideally want the car no higher than 110 on track.

Fez

Advanced Member
Mine see's 120/125 regular on track. When it it starts to get a bit higher, my tyres are usually starting to give too so i come in anyway.
An Alloy Radiator wont make any difference as i fitted one and everything stayed the same, so thats a waste of money imo.
I also run 5/40, even if you run thicker oil, the temps will stay the same, but it wont break down as easy, but if you're changing your oil regular(between track days) i doubt it makes too much of a difference.
I have an oil cooler ready to go on mine, but even though my oil will be cooler, my tyres will still be giving in same time so I still wont be able to stay out any longer, so i've not really rushed to fit it, but i'll be doing oil change soon and was planning on fitting then before next track day.

But an oil cooler with a thermostat will be your best bet to get the temps down.

Ryanj1993

Advanced Member
Awesome thanks for the info RE - Radiator and oil grade.

Have booked in at TGM for a thermostatic oil cooler :)

Indi

Advanced Member
A decent oil can take up to 135 so nothing to worry about. My charged one use to see 130 on track days prior to fitting an oil cooler and then with oil cooler it dropped to around 110 and sometimes 115 on a hot day.