omg gritters..

boz5r

Advanced Member
just saw the first gritter of the winter and i was thinking how i could protect my front splitter from the damage a close encounter with one of these causes i was thinking of gaffer taping it up any thoughts cheers :)

dave c

400hp K20
Gaffer tape on paint is a no no, bit of blue peter thinking there :D

Isn't there clear film sheets that you can put on to protect it?...that or cut your losses and get it repainted come march #-o

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
Yes can't think what it is called though try your local vinyl guy / signmaker

sovietspybob

Advanced Member
I was thinking this the other day as my splitter is still peppered from last year :(

Was thinking of that Carbon effect vinyl stuff perhaps?

rodney

Advanced Member
I met a gritter in the middle lane of the M4. People slowed, quite a few went in the inside lane to pass him. Bit of a no no when doing 50/60 but I think they spray predominately behind and to the right (would make sense on a normal road). I stuck to the fast lane and met a meteor shower at 50 odd mph.

Salt was caked from the splitter upwards to the bonnet. That's worse case on a fast road, best thing is to avoid the bandits in the first place through diversions/other peoples drives :)

blueguy

Resident J's whore
Anyone remember a few years back, when 5th Gear carried out a paint protection products review i.e. Waxes, pro-paint protection (whatever that is) etc?

IIRC, one of the tests was firing salt grit at the car panels and some of them came out unscathed. I'm sure it must be searchable on youtube or somewhere.

blueguy

Resident J's whore
Stuck behind a restricted firewall in another country mate :(
so was trying to recall from memory. Based on your description it's a memory FAIL on my part :lol:

gregb

Advanced Member
^^ Call in the gimp :lol:
Will get my lip redone about March or so,it's showing some previous winter scars to start with.
Cheap enough do get done or do and makes the world of a difference on an everydayer to say.

boz5r

Advanced Member
some good ideas there think id need a full respray before putting that clear stuff on ,tho so was looking for a tight wad solution :) tho the sado look is appealing sort of.

chris cc

Authorised Advertiser
There's plenty of material options out there these days.
I keep getting my suppliers touting their latest colours in wrap vinyl. (I'm fairly sure the automotive clear stuff is still expensive.)

It's fitting yourself that will be the tricky bit, but could be worth a go on the splitter if you are looking to save money.
Need to see if it's cheap enough and available by the metre.
When I finally get back in a Teg I reckon having a play with a printed wrap on the bonnet could be fun for winter protection.
Not to be taken too seriously :lol:

Chris

Curryzz

I hate the grit, really bugs me, Especially when you spend a hole morning cleaning your car then go out and it's covered ten miles later :xrealangry: