On the way!

nattcharles

Hi guys I have just bought a black 2001 DC5 Type-R which will hopefully land in the UK in 6 weeks. I'm importing it myself as I did with my previous GTR33 and EK9. I'm interested to know what sort of money everyone is paying for their DC5's? By the time it's on the road mine will have cost me about £10500. I've already got some bits ready to bolt on icluding HKS Hiper muffler and HKS Hipermax 2 coil overs. Probably going to go for TODA manifold and HKS F-CON V PRO also. Not sure what induction to go for though? If I can get hold of a C-West carbon bonnet I will probably go for HKS suer power flow as I believe the bonnet has extra venting towards the back of the engine bay. If I don't go for the HKS it will probably be a Spoon replacement filter. Thinking about going for a few other Spoon bits too.

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
Hi

That’s a very cheep price !! Can I ask what the auction grade was :?: It must be ok, as I see you have done this before :!:

Also what spec is it, miles etc, sorry If I am being nosey :?

As to the other questions, if you go for the Toda manifold, you will replace the CAT, thus without fitting a sim you will have the engine check light on all the time :roll:

Also, why go for a piggy back ECU, why don't you go with Hondata, they have a fully reprogram able ECU due out by the end of Feb / early March. This will give you greater flexibility ie, turn off emissions system, turbo, super charges, NOS etc.

As to induction, DO NOT with a K20 engine go for a an open filter sitting next to the engine, better off with the stock box with a new filter in or an aftermarket closed box.

Best of luck when it arrives, this sit will give you all the info you need

Mike

nattcharles

Cheers for the info Mike. The car grade is 5 with 11000 miles on the clock. Spec wise it's the road version with red recaros. The main reason I'm going for Fcon V Pro is I work for HKS Europe so it will be cheap for me to buy. V pro doesn't actually have to run piggy back if you don't want it to. it can run stand alone. The advantage of it running piggy back is that it uses things like the idle pick up from the standard ECU when things like air con and electric windows etc are used. I think the mapping resolution is greater than something like Hondata as well with over 1500 fuel mapping points although I don't know too much about the Hondata so I may be wrong. The other advantage is V-pro can be mapped to run on UK fuel. As for ditching the cat I'm noy sure about that yet. I'd like to run it on a dyno with and without it fitted to see the results, maybe you could shed some light on that for me? Induction wise I really like the Gruppe M ram charger or the Mugen kit. With the Mugen kit don't you need the Mugen bumper though to direct the air flow correctly? Where can I find more info about Hondata ECU? I know Mark from Abbey Motorsport is running one in his EP3 with a Jackson Racing Suercharger but I haven't had a chance to speak to him about it yet so I don't know if he mapped it himself or not.

SJ_Skyline

Site Admin
Do HKS make exhausts for the DC5? Can't find any information on the HKS Europe website! :cry:

p.s. Should you need the website sorting out then please feel free to drop me a PM! :wink:

MJ Type-R

Advanced member
Hi

I am very surprised you will managed to get a DC5 on the road for £11K, or is that the auction price you paid? The best I could achieve if I done it myself (I worked and looked at auctions for many months) was a on the road price of £15K. However, very well done if you have one for only £11K :wink:

For info on Hondata, visit www.hondata.com and look at K20 series. The Hondata ECU uses the OEM ECU, it took them 2 years of work to understand the OEM code. With just the re flash on my ECU, I am now running UK fuel with no problem.

I can't shed any light on any performance increase with regards to running without a CAT, although you are removing a restriction.

I run a Mugen Airbox and have no problems with it. I have however, made a custom air scoop that feeds air directly into the box (version 2 is on its way soon)

Abby didn't Map the ECU on there Super Charged EP3, that was done by Doug form Hondata. However, I understand that Abbey will be one of a few dealers for the fully re-programmable ECU once its launched.

Mike

Unnamed_warrior

Advanced Member
Dc5 for 11K and a grade 5 ... bugger me... I could sell mine for 16K import a newer one put all the same mods back on it and have change for more mods :D ..

Well done for getting it so cheap mate..

nattcharles

One of the main reasons I got it so cheap is because the exchange rate on the yen has been excellent. The day I transfered the cash it was 190 to the pound. The other reason I got it cheap was because Wonderful Auto who I bought it from, had not been able to sell it and had reduced the price several times so I made them an offer on it and they accepted. Think they had difficulty selling it because of the colour, don't think black is very popular for sports cars in Japan most are white cos it N1 racing colour. The guy I bought it from reconed he was making a slight loss on it. The funiest thing is I saw some guy in the UK advetising the car in Autotrader for £16000 and he hadn't even bought it! It is a hassle importing yourself which is why the importers stick a couple of grand profit on for themselves but if you want to save money its the only way to go. There are a couple of ways to reduce tax and duty this end as well so thats how I'm going to save a few quid as well.

flick

How you reducing the tax and duty ? Isnt there something about personal imports and getting away with the 10% duty ?? i know the Vat must always be paid regardless. ??

nattcharles

I don't really want to go into it on the forums because technically the way I reduce the tax and duty is illegal and does have a few risks.

dan the man

Advanced Member
only just got my dc2 but you have got me thinking now :-k. £11000 for a dc5 and i know a lad who has a good friend in japan as he is getting a dc2 engine for his crx.Really fancy looking now, the bird is gona kill me!.............ill blame you nattcharles, should keep the pressure off!! :)

Caroline

That is such a good price. Believe it or not I got a better rate on the Yen when I bought mine I think it was about 196 yen to a £ or 135 yen to a €. That means that to bring my car into the uk it would have cost me about £11000 and that was back in july. Thats if I include 10% customs and 17.5% vat, and shipping, auction charger etc.

But in Ireland it cost a hell of a lot more because VAT is 21% and VRT is 30% of the recommended selling price in Ireland, and I had to pay the importer so it cost me about £17000 and another £1000 for the clifford alarm. :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil: :evil:

I hate VRT. And that price was a saving of about £1200 thanks to a VAT and customs SAVING also!!