One for the pro's

sydney

Advanced Member
Ok. My mate has a dc5, cheap induction kit, basically a cone beside the engine total heak soak, toda manifold and looks like a zigen exhaust. I recently got a spin in this, vtec comes in with an awful kick and it takes off like a rocket and revs to 8800rpm same as my kpro. I actually thought it was mapped with cams. But the thing is it has a standard ecu? I use to have a mugen ecu and now a kpro so i opened it up for a look and seen no stampings of any big name brands. Can a standard ecu bemodified or remapped to rev like this? ? Well its just the ecu thing is puzzling us, any ideas? Heres a pic of the inside of it.

NOTE:- Street racing posts and references are not allowed ,text edited to suit- simon

armjoker

Advanced Member
Ok. My mate has a dc5, cheap induction kit, basically a cone beside the engine total heak soak, toda manifold and looks like a zigen exhaust. I recently got a spin in this, vtec comes in with an awful kick and it takes off like a rocket and revs to 8800rpm same as my kpro. I actually thought it was mapped with cams. But the thing is it has a standard ecu? I use to have a mugen ecu and now a kpro so i opened it up for a look and seen no stampings of any big name brands. Can a standard ecu bemodified or remapped to rev like this? Well its just the ecu thing is puzzling us, any ideas? Heres a pic of the inside of it.

What makes you think that it rev 8800 rpm? The needle is not showing 100%. Also when the vtec kicks in? I mean rpms. Usually the tuners lower the vtec point for max power.

sydney

Advanced Member
Cause that where the needle goes to...? Unless something is wrong with needle? But vtec comes in at 6000rpm. When mine was mapped it was smooth but his you can actually feel it when i say kick. Not many about here to race, i would but mine has a slight advantage at near 370hp lol

ckh

Advanced Member
from the picture, vtec point and redline looks like a stock ECU ?

Grov

Banned
Probably just the rev counter thats slighty out, same with the speedo.

I still don't know what a standard DC5 is supposed to rev to, is it 8400? Looks like 8600 on my clocks but im assuming it's out.

gibby85

Advanced Member
4 car lenghts is a lot in my opinion.

I get a decent kick on vtec change over and mine is completely standard. Vtec kicks in at 6000 and red lines at 8600 according to my clocks.

sydney

Advanced Member
4 car lenghts is good considering the evo is strokered and all that malarky. Ive picked a injen up so we going to put it on his and see what way it goes but we will get it on the dyno. Obviously just a very fit example. Its just he thought it was reving to high for a standard ecu but thanks for the feed back.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
I would say that is a std ecu. it may be possilbe to reflash these without there being any visible signs, when you open a spoon ecu it doesnt have spoon all over it.

sydney

Advanced Member
I thought spoon ecu had spoon stamp inside it? It could be reflashed. Looks like we will have to do a bit if research on the car. When he bought it the guy said it had some cheap ebay special manifold on it, he got the car home, removed it and turned out it was a toda lol so the previous owner probably wont know either.

leejw87

Spoon Whore
Maybe he's just got a good engine... Happens now and again on cars where one will go alot better than others of the same.

sydney

Advanced Member
Yea thats true. I had my dc5 at 260hp and raced another dc5 with bolt on mods dastek'd and nitrous and mine was quicker 2nd gear onwards.

skunk2_dc5

Advanced Member
Maybe he's just got a good engine... Happens now and again on cars where one will go alot better than others of the same.
i agree with this! some cars for some reason just pull better than others. same thing with mine -seems to have a slight advantage over others which have some mods too!

about the rev: redline is @ 8400 but doesnt cut off until 8600rpm

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
generally the k20 engines are very similar in performance, as they are very well built in the first place and highly tuned from the factory, put the car on the dyno and see what is really going on, a power run with AFR logged will tell you straight away if it has anything done to the ecu.