Opinions on lighter or under driven pulleys

Kevin85

Advanced Member
Does anyone have anything like this fitted to their car? I know TODA make a set, and so do UR.

I had a 4 piece set of UR underdriven pulleys on my old P10 and they were a fantastic mod. I miss the free revving and engine response they give.

On the same tip, I'm fitting a clockwise motion flywheel first. I'm replacing the clutch and I was going to leave the flywheel alone, but I'll be damned if I do all that work laying on my back and not replace it for a lighter one. I know I'd regret it.

Anyone got a light flywheel and pulleys fitted? TELL ME WHAT YOU KNOW! >:]

Mark_teg

Staff member
Simon (C&S evo) had some pulleys fitted to his old teg, might be worth a search..

Will the alternator still charge ok being 'under-driven'?

Kevin85

Advanced Member
The charging will be fine. It might create a problem if you spend all day trying to conserve fuel and in traffic, but that's not really why I bought the car.

Fez

Advanced Member
Had them fitted to my h22, i didn't notice any difference if i'm honest. But i probably would fit them again, but only when i was bored and had nothing to spend my money on lol.

Kevin85

Advanced Member
Sam. said:
Get yourself a proper pulley
Nah by my mate's dad's brother's etc etc made his own pulley and it woz fine for bare miles bruv. Still going strong, 400whp or sutin.

I'll definitely be getting a proper pulley, K20's aren't nearly as plentiful/cheap as SR20's. ;)

Kevin85

Advanced Member
This thread was more for experiences from people who may have a fluidampr/ati pulley fitted, or light weight/underdriven ancillary pulleys.

I know they won't make nearly as much difference as they did on the P10, as that wasn't a rice rocket out of the box.

Every little helps, and I want that ultra responsive feel I had in the P10, with DC5 pace.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
i had AEM underdrive pulleys on my car , did they give any power ? thats hard to say , but like Kevin says , every little helps, the only issue i really had was initially my car was built as an Audio democar and because of the reduced rpm at idle , the alternator struggled to charge the batteries, it was fine driving etc, just while sat at idle .

Kevin85

Advanced Member
C&S Evo7 said:
i had AEM underdrive pulleys on my car , did they give any power ? thats hard to say , but like Kevin says , every little helps, the only issue i really had was initially my car was built as an Audio democar and because of the reduced rpm at idle , the alternator struggled to charge the batteries, it was fine driving etc, just while sat at idle .
Thanks, did you notice any difference in throttle response?

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
Took me about half an hour to fit them . Hard to say if it made any response difference really I guess if you save weight on anything that has to turn or decrease resistance by making it easier to turn then it could but if it's measurable ? That's another story

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gareth88

Advanced Member
Is an interesting concept, buddy club seem to think an approximate 11hp is possible according to some dyno testing with their kit

Gareth88

Advanced Member
I've read two different figures, 8hp and 7 lbft is on the buddy club description and then the 11 was from someone who had done a before and after dyno run... Can't recal where I found it though.

Reading up on other forums some people have worries about the crank pulley being solid and causing engine damage? As the oem has rubber on one side apparently?
Don't know if anyone can elaborate on this

integraleo

Advanced Member
From what I've been told it's nothing to do with causing damage it's to do with slight vibration. Think of it like uprated engine mounts,they fit rubber ones to eliminate vibration but it doesn't mean they are the only option

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
If you change the crank pulley it should be for a fluid damper type . Aem kits used to be alternator and power steering

Gareth88

Advanced Member
C&S Evo7 said:
If you change the crank pulley it should be for a fluid damper type . Aem kits used to be alternator and power steering
Just had a look at these; looks like one of these on its own is more than the entire buddy club kit haha

Fez

Advanced Member
Honda fitted solid pullies (n1) to the ek9's, doubt they'd do that if it was to cause an issue with anything.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
4 cylinder engines arnt smooth because of the firing sequence etc, for example on many v8's you can mount solid with very little vibration due to the harmonics, as i understand fitting non standars crank pullies can be dangerous.