Optimum engine oil temperature?

Yella Fella

Nismo Wannabe
Anyone got an idea of what this should be for normal road use and for track / racing?

I got a mocul race cooler fitted at TGM last weekend and looking at my oil temp gauge, the average temp seems to be sitting around at 71 degrees... is this safe? Or just means I can't really vtec much during road driving?

I use Castrol Sports Edge (or whatever TGM use) at 10w60. Please advise, thanks.

sinbad

Advanced Member
When racing you dont want to get your oil to get to 130degrees, around 100-110 degrees would be fine. 71degrees under normal driving is prob a tad lo but considering the weather we have and the oil cooler its prob about right.

whether its too low im not sure, as long as the car lets you vtec i guess the cars upto temp and so would the oil. Why not wrap the oil cooler in foil over winter?

Rob.

Advanced Member
Mine ran about 85 to 90 deg under normal running and about 96 deg on motorway without an oil cooler.
On track usually about 112 deg with a oil cooler fitted..

Do you have a thermostat fitted in the cooler lines ?
When I ran mine without one on the road I couldn't get any temperature in the oil and the faster I went the colder the oil got..

Yella Fella

Nismo Wannabe
Tom mentioned it ages ago that they usually fit a thermostat to their's or something but will email again to check... I remember motorway driving my temps were high as 105 degrees, but its oober cool driving back on the weekend.

It still is, when I drive it a bit harder, it might go to about 75. I thought 90 was optimum anyways, a bit nervous as when the cold weather hits, it might be a bit too cool.

Vtec does sound like its hitting but just sounds like it's just, as I know it won't engage unless oiled up.

Yella Fella

Nismo Wannabe
Rob. said:
Mine ran about 85 to 90 deg under normal running and about 96 deg on motorway without an oil cooler.
On track usually about 112 deg with a oil cooler fitted..

Do you have a thermostat fitted in the cooler lines ?
When I ran mine without one on the road I couldn't get any temperature in the oil and the faster I went the colder the oil got..
Who fitted yours? How much was the thermostat plus fitting?

Rob.

Advanced Member
Yella Fella said:
I got the oil cooler kit from TGM and fitted it myself.
I never put a thermostat in, its just a few put them in now thats why I mentioned it.

When not on track I cut a thin piece of rubber and tie rapped it over front of cooler, then it ran as standard temps as if the cooler wasn't on..

Cheaper than buying the thermostat bit :wink: ..

Yella Fella

Nismo Wannabe
Rob. said:
Yella Fella said:
I got the oil cooler kit from TGM and fitted it myself.
I never put a thermostat in, its just a few put them in now thats why I mentioned it.

When not on track I cut a thin piece of rubber and tie rapped it over front of cooler, then it ran as standard temps as if the cooler wasn't on..

Cheaper than buying the thermostat bit :wink: ..
Got a pic? It's just like a mini aluminium radiator, not sure where you'd put it? :(

Rob.

Advanced Member
Yella Fella said:
Got a pic? It's just like a mini aluminium radiator, not sure where you'd put it? :(
Not with the cooler blocked off no.
Its just to stop the air blowing through the cooler so in front of the little rad with a tie wrap at each end to hold it in place..

eXceed

Resident Driver
At the front of the engine I have two radiators, one is the oil cooler obviously and the other is what exactly? And if someone tells me it's my AC then I will be very annoyed as paid to have aircon system removed :xmad:

sinbad

Advanced Member
eXceed said:
At the front of the engine I have two radiators, one is the oil cooler obviously and the other is what exactly? And if someone tells me it's my AC then I will be very annoyed as paid to have aircon system removed :xmad:

Its the Aircon, they probably just removed the pump.

The very front one which is the thinner of the two is for the AC and the back one is your cooling system. You'll also see a small pipe infront of them (on the bottem left hand side) too which i believe is for the Power steering.