Oulton Park 16th November 2013 Vids

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Nice clips mate and in HD too, get to watch them in full HD on the laptop! Just started watching them, going to get a brew ready and get cracking with them all.

Nice smooth driving too, have you driven Oulton before? It's a lovely circuit but it can catch you out. I did a trackday taster there years back when I had my 16v CRX and I started getting too confident on the fifth lap and nearly came off, crapped my pants I did because had I gone off I'd have slammed straight into a barrier. Occurred just as you go under the bridge and a bit further on.

Lovely track though.

vtecpang

Advanced Member
Good stuff Luke

Thanks for sharing
I must revisit Oulton again

What did you use to secure your cam?

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
It's my 3rd time at Oulton, one of my favourites. I'm getting the hang of the car now, could probably squeeze more speed on the straights but I like to have a safety margin between letting off throttle and then braking ha!

I had to reduce the quality bit rate down massively otherwise they were 1.5gb files! Ended up a more manageable 200 ish mb.

I have an ultra racing c pilar bar with bracket for the go pro. I'll put a pic up tomorrow.

mike.williams

Advanced Member
whats your engine spec now luke? dan said you had a nightmare with the old 2.2 stroked block?

vids are great, i need to get back to oulton

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
Yeh ad08r, they performed really well and were noticeably better than the previous version ad08.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Hi Luke,

Can I ask a few questions. Do you do a lot of trackdays, if so what kind of expenditure are you out on per trackday as I've heard they can be costly but from reading up on them the Teg makes a very good trackday car as it is.

Can it be done on a budget? I've read you need to go all out on tyres, before and after service and possibly brakes too such as uprated pads. Could you realistcally pay for the trackday and turn up and get away with not having to do anything to the car bar your fuel or is the trackday going to chew tyres?

I really want to get the first one under my belt next year at some point you see.

Cheers.

Marc

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
I only do a few trackdays per year. Typically pay between£100 to £150 per track but that is more the later part of year prices.
Silverstone can be up to about £300 midyear!

I'll use about 1.5 tanks of fuel during the day. I clocked 155 miles on track at Oulton and worked out to be about 12mpg!

My car has never been standard but you could take a standard dc5 on track and be absolutely fine. The brake pads may start to fade but a good upgrade is Ferodo ds2500 pads (£100), braided lines (£50 ish) and dot 5.1 fluid (£20 ish).

Tyres are only good up to the limit of gri, so if your tyres aren't an expensive brand just don't take corners as quick. It's all about building up confidence first, then speed, and seeing where the car needs improving.

A fast road setup with lowered springs would be perfect - springs, front camber bolts, rear adjustable arms and geometry, maybe about £500 or so fitted and setup.

I don't service as such before and after, just ensure oil is topped up and relatively fresh. I would probably change before if it is say 8k miles old or so.

So a standard car will be fine to start with, all the Japanese motoring videos usually race a standard dc5.

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
Also i'm pretty sure the tyres only wear about 0.5 - 1mm or so! Semi slicks like 888 would likely wear down more though.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
tricker_luke said:
I only do a few trackdays per year. Typically pay between£100 to £150 per track but that is more the later part of year prices.
Silverstone can be up to about £300 midyear!

I'll use about 1.5 tanks of fuel during the day. I clocked 155 miles on track at Oulton and worked out to be about 12mpg!

My car has never been standard but you could take a standard dc5 on track and be absolutely fine. The brake pads may start to fade but a good upgrade is Ferodo ds2500 pads (£100), braided lines (£50 ish) and dot 5.1 fluid (£20 ish).

Tyres are only good up to the limit of gri, so if your tyres aren't an expensive brand just don't take corners as quick. It's all about building up confidence first, then speed, and seeing where the car needs improving.

A fast road setup with lowered springs would be perfect - springs, front camber bolts, rear adjustable arms and geometry, maybe about £500 or so fitted and setup.

I don't service as such before and after, just ensure oil is topped up and relatively fresh. I would probably change before if it is say 8k miles old or so.

So a standard car will be fine to start with, all the Japanese motoring videos usually race a standard dc5.
Thanks for the post mate!

I'll be looking at either Anglesey or Oulton later next year, preferably Anglesey as it's closer. I've seen it's normally around £150 through Javelin or Book a track but can sometimes be cheaper. Upgrading the pads would be the first thing I'd do and then maybe look out for some cheap standard alloys with tyres so as not to wreck my normal tyres.

I've got plans to get a FSRU with TGM in a few months once Christmas is out the way so should I do a trackday the car should be perfectly setup and good to go. I guess it's just fuel really that's the main thing on the day then.

I really want to get one done, I've had a few Honda's now and have never done one before and seeing all the video clips of you guys doing them has made me very envious!!

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
£100 fuel will usually be plenty. Make sure you do an open pit day aswell because there is no pressure to get out for your 20 minute slot each hour.

Anglesey is a really good track too but like any track, take it easy if it's wet, they get quite slippy!

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Cheers man, really great advice you've given me and I'm sure others too who will read this thread. Anglesey looks great when you're watching it from outside, doesn't look as challenging as say Oulton for instance but a nice track nonetheless.

Wish I was doing one tomorrow lol!!

Dan34

Advanced Member
If you just wan't to see what its like and not spend too much money wait till spring/summer and book an evening session. It's a good way to get into it and see if you like it!

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Dan34 said:
If you just wan't to see what its like and not spend too much money wait till spring/summer and book an evening session. It's a good way to get into it and see if you like it!
Didn't realise you could do that, is it only certain circuits that run evening sessions?

Dan34

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
Didn't realise you could do that, is it only certain circuits that run evening sessions?
Couldn't say if i'm honest! I know my local tracks snetterton and cadwell do. Best bet is to keep an eye on the javelintrackdays and msv's websites and get something booked when they put up the dates.

By doing an evening session you'll spend a bit less money and put a bit less stress on the car. You may also find theres something not quite right on the car that needs changing (when I first went it was my tyres not quite up to scratch). If i had booked a full day I would have been annoyed as I wouldn't have been able to enjoy as much as I could have done on better tyres!

maxvr6

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
Castle Combe doesn't I know that for sure, not sure on Anglesey.

You could try a sessioned afternoon as they can be quite cheap, less than £100. I know Luke said do open pitlane as there will be less pressure and I agree, but to look at it another way, you might also find that as a first time out a sessioned afternoon will help to pace your day and stop you from getting too carried away.

Personally I lose all track of time when on track, almost have to force myself to pit and give the car a break lol

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Cheers fellas for the info, that's very useful to know and is something I will look into in more detail nearer the time, definitely sounds like a better idea rather than going all out in a session as I've never done one before. I was on the Javelin website and they have a colour key thing to follow which explains when an evening session will be done so I'll keep an eye on some tracks as the months go on.

Max - I can imagine it's very difficult to come off track once you get into some rhythm, I think being out on track and the excitement and adrenaline that comes with it just makes you want to stay out therefore you just lose track of what's happening. I often see some people out in their cars on Anglesey and they're out for a good 15-20 laps before coming in. Can't be good for most cars that, luckily our engines can take a bit of a pasting to not be overly concerned.

Luke - apologies if I'm spamming your thread btw!

tricker_luke

Advanced Member
I spent about 50 minutes on my last session at Cadwell haha. The brakes and tyres were still fine, no fade or loss of grip etc. I was burning up though ha.

The car was fine, just very hot!