ozzy147 send me your paypal there is a pint coming your way!

MissMyDC2

Advanced Member
So,

Driving up to the shops to grab a beer as its been a long few weeks with work etc when all of a sudden my gear stick turns into a sloppy pudding spoon!

Well I lost me rag... Just spent over 2k on the engine and thought if the gearbox is now goosed i am gonna pull over and torch the dam thing!!!

Managed to cruise the few hundred yards home in the only gear i had,, bonnet open and took a look at the shifter cables and unfortunately they were all fine so it had to be in the box :(
Decided its time to trawl the forum in a panic hoping to sheevus its not the box gone bang and then came across Ozzy`s post/build.
In this thread he said that a "sloppy box" on his was caused by a loose bolt so i stripped out the intake, the battery tray in a panic (took about 5 minutes) and pulled out the top of the selector and sure enough it left most of it still in the box! Ballsss!!!
So as opposed to Ozzys mine had dropped the bolt into the sump but thank shheeite it hadnt had time to bounce around any gears!

I managed to pull all the bits out the box, luckily still mostly in place and then set to rebuild the unit according to to Ozzys pictures. Put it all back together again and its better than it ever was. The shift has no movement in it at all and feels like a new box.

I would recommend that anyone with a loose shift take a look at this before it pops out on a motorway and chews up a few K of box. I did it all in about an hour and a half and that was taking the components out one by one carefully with a magnet.

So a free beer to Ozzy and a big thumbs up to this forum and all the money/help it has saved us all.

:xwavey: xthumbup xthumbup xthumbup xthumbup xthumbup xthumbup xthumbup xthumbup xthumbup

_BILLY_EK9_

Advanced Member
I had this on my ep3, I didn't want to tighten the bolt up to the set reading as I was worried it would strip the thread.

MatthewM

Got a link to the thread? I'll be in there changing shifter springs and bushings so might as well check this at the same time

MissMyDC2

Advanced Member
Sorry yeah a link would help.

Bottom of the page here.
http://www.itr-dc5.club/forum/index.php?/topic/31361-ozzys-cw-dc5/page-3

There are 4 or 5 bolts on the top but importantly a hex lug on the rad side of the bow low down which pins the shifter unit in place.

Made a hell of a difference to the shift play when sorted. More so than the ktuned shifter spring ever did. The only play in the sifter now is down to the bushes which is tiny.

ozzy147

Advanced Member
Pleased to hear you got it sorted mate and that my thread is still of some use to forum members :) unfortunately don't have my teg anymore but all the best with yours! ;) this fix totally transforms the driving experience doesn't it