P/S pump or steering rack? Groaning like a good'un

Snowbeard

For the last 3 months the dc5 has been making a pronounced moan/groan from the steering in the mornings from cold, usually when maneuvering off the driveway or out of a carpark. it goes away after a couple of minutes of driving.

Had the p/s fluid changed and no real change, so it looks like it could either be the p/s pump or the steering rack going bad. Neither are cheap, so is there any way to discern which of the two is at fault?

The car was up on the ramps for its MOT yesterday and there's no leaks from the steering rack, so it must still be early days if that is the issue?

going to start hunting around for both rack and pump just in case, but would appreciate any input.

cheers

Wingnuttzz

Advanced Member
Could it be the top mounts / spring bind?

Spraying a bit of wd40 or similar up there would be a quick way to check.

We currently have a t5 van with shagged top mounts and it groans and creaks like mad when manoeuvering. Got new top mounts, just need a impact gun to get the top mount nuts off.

Sent from my Moto G using Tapatalk

Snowbeard

Wingnuttzz said:
Could it be the top mounts / spring bind?

Spraying a bit of wd40 or similar up there would be a quick way to check.

We currently have a t5 van with shagged top mounts and it groans and creaks like mad when manoeuvering. Got new top mounts, just need a impact gun to get the top mount nuts off.

Sent from my Moto G using Tapatalk
it only does it when cold for a couple of minutes, low speed maneuvers when warm and she's quiet as a mouse... i would have thought it would do it all the time if it was the top mounts?

crasherkid

Advanced Member
In ignition, get someone full lock the wheel left and right whilst you have bonnet open.
If you hear any creaking or wired noises from the back towards the rack it probably is the rack.
Also if the steering feels a bit stiffer could be another sign could be the rack.