P0341 help please?

DC5Noob

Advanced Member
Another lovely issue to contend with,

Started my car yesterday and engine light came straight on. Drove it down the road and when I put my foot down on the pedal in 1st, I had barely any power but seemingly normal revs, then when it got to about 4000 revs normal power from there. Same problem in 2nd. I drove for about 5 minutes then returned home.

Restarted car 5 times but engine light still on. Left it 30 mins and went for another drive. Was better but definitely still not right.(light still on)

Got the code checked and it was P0341. The guy turned the code off and the car drove perfectly.

Previous to this the week before I had been getting an odd smell, and also seemed quite hot. Cant really describe the smell tho. Dont know if this is related or just me being car paranoid.

I have done a lot of reading regarding this code but would appreciate any advice.

Many thanks guys.

C6MWX

Camshaft position sensor I believe, don't think they're overly expensive to replace

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

DC5Noob

Advanced Member
From what I have read it states cam shaft position sensor but apparently it can be many things? Possibly that the timing has slipped even.

C6MWX

DC5Noob said:
From what I have read it states cam shaft position sensor but apparently it can be many things? Possibly that the timing has slipped even.
They auto adjust timing on the go from what I understand, best to see an expert though to be safe I guess

Sent from my H8216 using Tapatalk

DC5Noob

Advanced Member
Looks like I'm gonna get gearbox fully redone, and new timing chain and all the shit that comes with that. Any one had all this done that can give me an idea of price so I dont shiiit my pants when I get the bill?

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
I've had a chain done at Grinspeed and that was around £600 all in, parts and labour but with genuine OEM Honda chain, tensioner etc.

Gearbox, not had work done but I'd imagine new bearings, input shaft bearing etc would cost around £400-500 I'd have thought? If you're going to get gearbox work done then look at changing the clutch at the same time and install a shorter final drive if you can afford it as the box is out anyway.

DC5Noob

Advanced Member
Just to add my light was back on this morning. I have basically no power in the car at all, doesn't want to go over 50ish, cant engage v tech, doesn't seem to want to go over 4500 revs. Code the same P0341. Any more advice on this would be welcome. I have it booked in with tgm next week but would be nice to see what people think I should be expecting or if anyone has similar experiences and what they needed to do.

DC5Noob

Advanced Member
Fair, 600 quid is a bit more than I was expecting for just a chain replacement, but also been reading from my issue it can be lots of other timing related things so shiiiting it that it will be other stuff too. 🤢🤢

skengdR

Advanced Member
Hope it works out for you mate , these cars can be money pits at times

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
It really is horrible when you have potentially major things go wrong, I've been there myself so I know how you feel.

Let TGM take a look at it first and advise from there. If it needs tonnes of work and you can afford, get it done.

If not I'd look at selling it and getting a different one that may be more reliable.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Gearbox will be pricey. I had full bearing rebuild, 1st and second gears with synchros and hub assembly which cost best part of £1100 with the dreaded. Also had the engine mounts changed, clutch as it was out, list goes on.

Also had the chain done on mine as I had a tick noise, turned out to be the VTC spool valve or something like that. Was on the inlet camshaft. New chain and part was as above about £6-700 all in. Few years ago mind, (4-5?). And that was at TGM. That was with new FD2 guides to avoid / help limit the issue it sounds like you have in which the chain can skip a tooth or two.

Get your wallet at the ready if your hitting it all at once, and expect the worst. Anything saved is then a bonus. :) good luck. I wouldn‘t even be risking driving it doing more damage until it‘s been diagnosed properly however.

DC5Noob

Advanced Member
Thanks for the replies guys. Pretty much what in expecting Jimmer. Who needs a holiday eh! I'm looking forward to her driving sweet again! It's in limp mode atm so will take it to tgm and just let then do what's gotta be done.

I wouldn't be able to sell atm because why would anyone want to buy these issues, and by the time its fixed and all the effort and money thats been put into maintenance I know where I stand with mine, and I love my car, I could buy another and have load of other issues. She is sweet, apart from about 3k worth of issues lol

Thanks for the helpful advice as always Dave 😂 if you sold yours every time you got a 3k bill from tgm Honda would have to make some more dc5s lol

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
You don't know yet whether it has 3k's worth of issues. Let TGM look at it and give an honest opinion, it might not need a lot doing. If it does then sell it and buy Idbul's as it's mint and built properly and doesn't need a penny spending on it.

dave7368

Advanced Member
DC5Noob said:
Thanks for the helpful advice as always Dave if you sold yours every time you got a 3k bill from tgm Honda would have to make some more dc5s lol
Funny you should mention that, it's there now.. :xlol: and yes will be about that.. happy to help.. ;)

DC5Noob

Advanced Member
Haha, what a suprise that is Dave!

No it may not be 3k but just setting myself up for a rough worst case. If it was then selling it wouldn't be an option because I would sell honestly and why would someone buy a problem car unless I sold it for way cheaper than its worth. Also my car is pretty perfect most of the time, just literally the last couple.of months the gear box and now this, apart from that she is sweet, never had any issues. Sometimes just gotta get through a rough patch!

It's in tgm now, will update with what they find.

dave7368

Advanced Member
DC5Noob said:
Haha, what a suprise that is Dave!
No it may not be 3k but just setting myself up for a rough worst case. If it was then selling it wouldn't be an option because I would sell honestly and why would someone buy a problem car unless I sold it for way cheaper than its worth. Also my car is pretty perfect most of the time, just literally the last couple.of months the gear box and now this, apart from that she is sweet, never had any issues. Sometimes just gotta get through a rough patch!
It's in tgm now, will update with what they find.
Check your messages

DC5Noob

Advanced Member
Update...

Car had jumped timing, so timing was all out, most probably the cause if the light coming on. Tom said the car drove very "flat". They took it for a very gentle test drive and said driving it, especially hard, was dodgy because could of caused alot more issues.

So timing chain is getting replaced aswell as the tensioner etc. Once this is done they will properly test drive again and check for any other issues, and also gauge full extent of issues with gearbox, although we have discussed getting the whole thing done whilst it is out. So all synchros, hubs, bearings etc.

Hopefully once chain is replaced the car will drive properly again however they will check that so I will update if there are any further issues.