P1 racing baffled sump

ollydc5

Advanced Member
After speaking to a few people and being having told that the k20 suffers oil surge on hard long corners it seemed most people were using the spoon sump to overcome this problem. i came across this and wondered if anyone had either used one or new if it was anygood. any info on this would be sweet. plus any info on any other baffled race sumps they've either used or know anything about.. cheers.olly

JT3173

Advanced Member
I have the Buddy Club P1 Racing sump in my car, it is a baffle system which drops into the OEM sump with no fixings so can be put in or taken out at your leisure. It is not expensive either at £156 from Buddy Club UK.

HTH ;)

mikegsi

Staff member
TGM will supply you with a custom (based on spoon) baffled sump for around £180 (last time I checked) on exchange fir you standard sump

I deliberated about the bffled sump but decided against it in the end, I don't do enough trackdays to warrant it or worry about oil surge, as well as the fact that is apparrantly a right royal pita to change, best advice for someone in my situation (1/2 trackdays a year and regular spirited driving) was to run with the oil slightly over the max line and just keep an eye on it

dan the man

Advanced Member
Long RH corners with high end revs being used...mine used to cut out like it was either starved of oil..or fuel.

changed sump and it stopped mostly..did it once to my amazement .. must have been a flying lap that :xlol:

dan the man

Advanced Member
like limit itself... cut power it felt like.. like an early limiter. da da da da

I didnt really sit there watching it as, as soon as the first DER happenbed it was clutch in revs drop give her a mintue then back on the gas..

in fact i think i used to take it in 5th to drop the revs.. or change early.... last corner on the ring im talking about.

maybe the ECU has a low pressure defence in it,
Some Aftermarket ones do for fuel,water,oil etc.to limit the damage you can do if your not watching your gauges,

The P1-Racing sump baffle is designed to stop this ever happening,It happened to us with the original Mugen baffled sump at Brands Hatch Clearways,Thats why the P1 baffle has hinged windows in it all round that only open inwards,they let the oil in from one direction at a time but will not let it out as the G-force and oil movement closes the windows on that side of the box.
SHHimple,, click,,click !

dan the man

Advanced Member
yeah low oil pressure im sure .. door design sound better.

I wonder if BC always did swing both ways ? :-"

Yes,
Our P1 sump baffle windows swing ALL ways, they have windows in all 4 sides so you get extra oil into the pump weather you are accelerating,,,braking,,or cornering either way..
We adopted this design to conquer existing problems that have been experienced by other manufacturers and also our own racing experiences using other companies inferior products.
Paul,