Paint protection film

Neil_H

Advanced Member
My S2000 suffered horrendously from stonechips (especially being black) so I was thinking of having some paint protection fitted while the front of my DC5 is chip free.

Has anyone else had this done? Had a call from Tom at Paintshield who advised that the Acura RSX Type-S kit will fit.

Neil_H

Advanced Member
He couldn't tell me for sure but around £450 for the bumper, bonnet and wings.

zak_spede

Had Armourfend fitted to the front end of my FocusRS from new. Can highly recommend the stuff - it's a heavy duty film that will protect your paintwork from all but the very worst stonechips. It's expensive but I thought it was well worth it. If you can get a similar kit for the DC5 I'd go for it...

If you decide to get it done you'll need to get the paintwork 'showroom fresh' first!

slacksr

Advanced Member
isnt some sort of paint protection film advertised in EVO mag

Venture shield or something avaliable through Halfrauds?

Zero7

Advanced Member
I'd rather re-paint my front once a year £450 is taking the pish! If it was £150 I would consider.

truffs

I have supurguard all over the car, prevents the majority of stone chips but the best thing is that when cleaned it comes up like new.

Zero7

Advanced Member
truffs said:
I have supurguard all over the car, prevents the majority of stone chips but the best thing is that when cleaned it comes up like new.
We are talkking the plastic film here, I don't think they make it for the wolhe car, my understanding is that only the front gets protected, and you can also see the line where it finishes off.

truffs

nope the whole car gets it and it costs circa £500. It was on the car when it was bought and all the original paperwork as well.

Zero7

Advanced Member
truffs said:
nope the whole car gets it and it costs circa £500. It was on the car when it was bought and all the original paperwork as well.
Seriously? the whole car has plastic film on it? I thought they onlt did it for the front end of cars, i have seen it on elises and it is only the front bumper, wings and part bonnet which gets its.

I guess you never have to wax your paintwork then? as you can't actually get to it.

Neil_H

Advanced Member
Supaguard isn't a film, it's just a 'special' polish. It won't do much to protect from stone chips TBH.

Look at it this way - you can pay £450 every year for a front end respray, or a one-off £450 to protect your paint for several years (probably as long as you have the car). Which means you keep your original paint, no colour matching problems and becomes a selling point for your car.

It's a no brainer as far as I'm concerned.

truffs

Neil_H said:
Supaguard isn't a film, it's just a 'special' polish. It won't do much to protect from stone chips TBH.

Look at it this way - you can pay £450 every year for a front end respray, or a one-off £450 to protect your paint for several years (probably as long as you have the car). Which means you keep your original paint, no colour matching problems and becomes a selling point for your car.

Thanks for explaining it properly :wink: Its excellent as the car always looks clean and when its washed looks new. I would suggest though it does protect from minor stone chips as i do not have any on the front of my car :shock: My old DC5 looked slightly pebble dashed before i changed the bumper :!:

Zero7

Advanced Member
Neil_H said:

It's only my front bumper that has stone chips (ok one on the bonnet) and I've been quoted £150-£175 for this to be resprayed. I do beleive prevention is better than cure but at what price?

Neil_H

Advanced Member
truffs said:
Thanks for explaining it properly :wink: Its excellent as the car always looks clean and when its washed looks new. I would suggest though it does protect from minor stone chips as i do not have any on the front of my car :shock: My old DC5 looked slightly pebble dashed before i changed the bumper :!:
:) Just going off my sister-in-laws MR2 which was Supaguarded from new and is still stone-chipped. If it works for you then that's cool.

It's personal choice I suppose, after the state my S2000 was in from chipping I would rather have the car protected than have a respray every year or two.

rayray

good idea with the film sheet, although think the car would look funny after application due to the film acting and looking like a thin coat of laquer.

The white itrs dont have laquer on them.

front would look very nice with a glass effect whilst the rest look out of place :?: