Painting exhausts

ollydc5

Advanced Member
Afternoon

Just wondered has anyone tried painting their exhaust with high temperature paints or had them ceramic coated ?

Have brought a new system and wondered if this may help protect its life

Cheers

BigCarlo

I've never heard anyone doing that I would assume once all the crud and stuff gets on the exhaust it will start to peel off and look worse that without

Sent from my E6653 using Tapatalk

spooke

Advanced Member
Someone had their Mugen Twinloop (I think) painted with a ceramic coating... can't find it though!

Midnight

Advanced Member
I've seen this done, correctly painted they look nice. Especially if it's worn or getting old.

If done incorrectly can look worse though.

Silver or black, no crazy colours though 😂

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
spooke said:
Someone had their Mugen Twinloop (I think) painted with a ceramic coating... can't find it though!
Correct, I can't think who either, but its a black ceramic coating.

Obviously not essential, and in my eyes it makes it look alot less , / sooty but if thats what you want to do then by all means. :)

ollydc5

Advanced Member
Right so all being said I've painting it, the paint I've used is from a local friend who uses the same on more classic cars. The paint is designed not to flake or peel and takes temperatures up to 700'c.

He showed me some of the exhaust headers he's done in his workshop and some existing cars that he did a few years ago and there was no huge scratches or scrapes to speak of but it did look quite bad on the side exit systems as it goes quite dull after about 2000 miles. That being said after a few thousand miles through rain and the winter it won't last to well being exposed so no win either way.

I've got 3 coats on now and it's surprisingly hard wearing for out of a rattle can. I also sprayed up a waste piece of steel I use for jacking up outside and gave it the same 3 coats just to see how easy it would be to scratch off. I scraped a stone over it and it just left a mark unless I forced it across and a key and a screw driver cut it back quite easily as it would with any paint.

I only do about 2.5-3k miles top a year which is pretty much dry weather only so I'm confident it'll last quite well. Fitting is this weekend and then around December time the car is coming apart underneath to be undersealed and rebuilt near new so it'll give me a chance to re visit to see how well the paint has held up