Panicking!

tomfarr

Brought a pre facelift today, well happy with it. Absolutely mint, well looked after,but sutruggling to change gear 2nd to 3rd, due to driving very low powered cars, i.e corolla.lol. I'm worried coz I was giving it some( when engine was nice and warm after a 200miles trip) from 2nd to 3rd and think I accidentally went 2nd to 1st!! I am being extra careful now. My mate who was driving behind me said a cloud of smoke came from the exhaust and I heard a horrible noise and pulled over at the next lay by. Nothing really changed in the driving. No noises afterwards. Should I be worried? I obviously know this isn't good and should be avoided but pure accident. Have I damaged it? I am a enthusiast and look after my cars. :(

Chris_Glanzav98

Advanced Member
if its fine now it should be fine just keep an eye on it and calm down with the gear changes mate, im yet to drive a dc5 just selling my other cars to get one atm but ive heard they are pretty bad for this but im not sure its 2nd to 1st more 3rd to 2nd. im sure ktuned do a shifter that helps minimize the chance of this

raz786

Advanced Member
Hopefully you won't have done anything serious, if its driving fine looks like you've had a lucky escape mate!
Just take it easy, get used to the gear positions, don't slam it into gears, you won't accidentally select first unless you really force it in.

Ek9.

You'd really have to rifle it in changing from 2nd(high rpm) to 1st. Didn't even know it was possible?
If it's driver error I'd advise practising "easier" gear changes such as 3rd to 4th etc.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
it is possible to go 2 to 1 but normally if you let the clutch up all the way its like being hit with a shovel, if you are lucky enough to save it without damage then buy a lottery ticket, this is by far the most common way k20's are destroyed, normally results in a rod sticking out the side of the block

tomfarr

Cheers for the feedback,i honestly don't think it went into 1st, I wouldn't of been able to select it. I don't know what else it could of been. Every other gear change is fine.

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
I've managed to do the more common 4th to 3rd instead of 5th and got the same puff of smoke out the back just before I dipped clutch pretty sharpish! I've now got a slightly noisy chain since doing that so I've stretched it I think :(

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
coyote_dc5 said:
I've managed to do the more common 4th to 3rd instead of 5th and got the same puff of smoke out the back just before I dipped clutch pretty sharpish! I've now got a slightly noisy chain since doing that so I've stretched it I think :(

That will be your second chain then now won't it?

Arghh man. :(

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Yes but almost 100,000 miles ago so was thinking about getting it changed in 2015 anyway as my last one was done at 150,000. Just hope it doesn't fail on me at Monaco!

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Oh right, I thought it was a recent thing.

Still not good though but should be fine for you mate.

Mine has been stretched for ages and it's still going. On the subject of the timing chain, as it's stretched slightly the timing would be out too. Does that mean that the car would likely be down on power?

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Neglegable I'd say. You need to worry if it's slipped a tooth. Still best to get it swapped out when you've got the funds

Rom

Advanced Member
coyote_dc5 said:
Yes but almost 100,000 miles ago so was thinking about getting it changed in 2015 anyway as my last one was done at 150,000. Just hope it doesn't fail on me at Monaco!

How many miles are you on total?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Dan34

Advanced Member
Crazylegs said:
Dan's been to the Moon and back in that thing ha ha!! :xgrin:
I'm gonna take a stab that its at around 285k by now! get your bets in people!

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Well I've passed the 238,855 mark and on way to 1/4 million mark. Last time I looked it was 240k odd. With clocks reading part kph and mph they read something mad like 278,000. I'll have to get a pic up when they read 300,000!