PAS pump whining

berg

So recently had my rack off to do the slider

All back together no issues, topped fluid back up using genuine Honda PSF, had a few short local drives and all was good

Now fast forward a week after not using the car since, done 130 mile round trip and noticed the pump is making quite a loud whining noise, noise is quite faint when just turning the steering wheel on its own, but if i apply throttle at the same time as turning the wheel its quite loud

Ive had it running for 15 mins today with the cap off turning the wheel lock to lock etc but the noise didnt change

Either its a coincidence the pump is showing signs of wear or is it possible for there to still be air in the system somehow?

Its had a total of 30 minutes worth of bleeding if i count today along with the day i refitted the rack

Any ideas?

badeshi

Advanced Member
There is a common problem to do with rubber washer/seals on some k20 engines (I know accord and rev are affected)

You need to buy some new seals, am orange one and black one I think. Then replace and replace fluid and it will be good.

Another symptom is foaming in Pas reservoir.

I don't have good internet otherwise would give a link but sounds like what I had.
Hopefully you have same as was easy fix

Sent from my ONEPLUS A3003 using Tapatalk

berg

Thanks ill have a look into it hopefully its nothing too major, must just be a coincidence its started a week after having the rack refitted

danr19

Advanced Member
I'll be interested to see if this fixes your issue. Mine appears to be doing the same. It seems to be steering related - whining / whizzing sound when turning the steering wheel - although once the car is warmed up it seems to do it just through accelerating / blipping the accelerator. I've got a video of the sound somewhere - I will try and upload it. On full lock the belt seems to slip a bit too.