Passenger window surround - paint wearing off

SuperFLY

Advanced Member
Hey all,

I've noticed that the paint on my window surround is wearing off. Flaking off so I've got an unsightly line of silver coming through.

The easiest thing would be to re-paint it but I'm not sure how easy/hard it'll be to get off and what paint to use. (I'd presume a hammerite would do)

The rest of the window surround is basically gloss but the bottom one looks matt. Not sure what it should be.

If anyone has any advice/insight that'll be great.

Cheers

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Hello mate, not seen you post in a while!

If it's the black rail that runs along the bottom of the window that you're referring to its more of a rubber coating than paint so I don't think Hammerite would give you the best finish. A new one from Honda is about £55.
Alternatively I guess you could try and strip all the coating off an paint or vinyl wrap but I'm not sure how the finish would look.

I bought a new passenger one and vinyl wrapped it. Wrapping the original wouldn't have looked neat I don't think as the flaking coating would have shown through. Hope that makes sense!

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
They sound fubard mate. New ones it is if it's bothering you, but expect to pay high prices, just into the 3 figure I do believe for both.

as David says, could try wrapping or taping them, but it's never going to be the same. Check out mark teg's build thread, he has recently changed his for new.. :)

ste01

Advanced Member
If you mean the bottom window seal trim then just buy new ones. They are there for a reason and if they look in poor condition then they probably aren't doing their job

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
They just cover up metal, and keep water out. lol if they wern't there you should worry, but Rubber fades/perishes over time yes, but if there are no holes in them, just scratched or faded then leaving them on wont harm the car in any way :), purely ruin the asthetics.

SuperFLY

Advanced Member
davidpingu said:
Hello mate, not seen you post in a while!
Heya, yeh I've been quite busy over the last few months. Barely posted in any of the owners forums I used to for months. Trying to come back a bit more though :)

Here's a pic to make it nice and clear what I'm on about

As you can see its just starting to flake/wear off in the middle. the trim itself is in perfect condition; just the paint/rubber/whatever it is looks a bit unsightly.

There was a breakers on here wasn't there? Seem to remember I got my spare scuttle panel and kick plate from them. Does anyone know who I mean as it sounds like it would be a good idea to give them a call and see about getting a replacement.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
SuperFLY said:
That's the fella!

cheers :)
He won't sell them seperately from the door as the clips tend to break. That's what he said to me anyway. Just over £100 for two brand new ones from Honda though!

53 Teegwa

Advanced Member
I looked at removing mine and plasti dipping satin black not tried yet and with my condition it'll be a while before I do (or get it done by a local shop)

Anyone thought about this route?

Gordon

Dan Evans

Advanced Member
I ran a strip of black electrical tape over mine. Look like new, and cost me £2.

I can get a picture for anyone wanting to see but they look perfect tbh, id never spend that kind of money on new ones when tape does the job

Rom

Advanced Member
Cant find a before pic, but they were worse than yours....

Ignore the flat paint, hadnt been wet sanded after paint yet.

That was done with black bumper paint, Toyotas specifically as i worked for them, but you can get it elsewhere. They do black and grey usually, used for trim, dash repairs etc.

maxvr6

Advanced Member
That's a very good point Rom I might have to try that first, I totally forgot about black bumper paint. Was it done using rattle cans, and was the finish up to your standards?

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Rom said:
Cant find a before pic, but they were worse than yours....

Ignore the flat paint, hadnt been wet sanded after paint yet.

That was done with black bumper paint, Toyotas specifically as i worked for them, but you can get it elsewhere. They do black and grey usually, used for trim, dash repairs etc.
Wow that's really good! Would you get any kind of shine on them? I looked at Marjs brand new ones and they were not as shiny as the rest of the moulding around the window. Disappointing really. So this would be a great idea. Might send mine to you!! 😉👍

Rom

Advanced Member
The paint i used was matte. Though we did have some that had some sheen

Heres some handle trims i repaired

These were obviously grey not black, but the non matte stuff. And to get the texture, we had stuff called bumpertex, fine and corse. Which you sprayed on first then the colour. They are actually textured round the outside, not the inner flat part, just poor picture. When i say we, Toyota had a small smart repair bay. Sadly i dont work there anymore (well sad because ive lost all the perks!)

The finish on the door cappings was good, i was happy with them. For me, i like fixing things, but if they didnt look good enough, id buy new ones.
If my teg needs doing, i will definitely be painting them first before spending that kind of money. Id need to see a genuine up close to be sure. But you could even try priming it, but not rubbing it down, then matte or satin black. This will give some texture (if oem has any) and will cover over any low points that have lost the coating.

Oh and Adam, id guess they didnt match the older trims due to ageing? Sometimes things will fade, other times they can get a sheen from years of being rubbed and exposed i guess. Probably all the trims would match on a new car / all new trims ?

Dan Evans

Advanced Member
Quick pic of mine, black electrical tape cut with a Stanley knife and just applied straight off the roll. Took no more than 5 minutes.

It's been on for a month or so and hasn't lifted etc.

Rom

Advanced Member
Ha, thats pretty impressive mate. Very cheap and effective. And easy enough to just reapply whenever you need.