Paul G Disks - another rave review!

Paul G

Members
To save me posting up the prices etc twice, there now up under - The best brake discs/pads you can......

Thks :)

JT3173

Advanced Member
Well guys and girls,

I have had my Paul G discs fitted today, could not get hold of any Mintex 1144's but even with half worn OEM pad the bite from cold is awsome, when warm, well, I was nearly cold as I almost shot forward through the screen.

The discs really are as good as Paul G and the rest of the people on here who have them say and well worth the money!

I have not even tried the F4 race pads that I have too, I will wait until I get on the track for them.

I am currently doing some tests with them and the G Force that is exerted when you brake, I dont have many results from the OEM pad and disc setup but I will try to get some good results with the OEM pads and Paul G discs.

I will do the same when I have my 1144's fitted too.

Oh, the car also accelerates better too due to the extra weight that the engine does not have to turn, really picks up now :D

Very very very happy Paul G, many thanks!!!! :D

Paul G

Members
JT3173 said:
Well guys and girls,

I have had my Paul G discs fitted today, could not get hold of any Mintex 1144's but even with half worn OEM pad the bite from cold is awsome, when warm, well, I was nearly cold as I almost shot forward through the screen.

The discs really are as good as Paul G and the rest of the people on here who have them say and well worth the money!

I have not even tried the F4 race pads that I have too, I will wait until I get on the track for them.

I am currently doing some tests with them and the G Force that is exerted when you brake, I dont have many results from the OEM pad and disc setup but I will try to get some good results with the OEM pads and Paul G discs.

I will do the same when I have my 1144's fitted too.

Oh, the car also accelerates better too due to the extra weight that the engine does not have to turn, really picks up now :D

Very very very happy Paul G, many thanks!!!! :D
No prob - thks for the feed back :D , let us no how you get on with the 1144 pads fitted & the G-Force (with the Paul G-Force set up :wink: )

Paul.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
I got these fitted today. Thanks to Chris at Center Gravity for letting me use your ramp, your tools and also for making me a cup of tea 8)

Anyway, on the drive home the brakes were a bit poo, due to muck on the discs obviously. Did some 40-100-40 stints and after the second or third go they finally came alive. Lets just say, that even with OEM pads, my neck is hurting.

The stopping power is simply phenomenal. Sadly I don't think that the OEM pads are much cop with the discs, as after a short while of very heavy braking the car started to fade. I pulled over to witness the discs glowing and smoke bellowing out of the pads.

Once they had cooled down the intense stopping power returned.

I can't wait to get the Mintex pads fitted, the OEM ones just don't seem to cope with the extra heat that these discs generate. When cold, they are similar, if not worse then stock, once they have heat they are great yet in track conditions I could easily see one set of OEM pads lasting no longer then one or two sessions. I think the pad is getting too warm, not sure what happens to the compound but there's lots of fade. I reckon I've took a good 5000 miles worth of wear on the pad away on the way home looking at the meat left on the pad. :lol:

Anyway, thanks Paul, I'm really looking forward to getting the Mintex pads fitted to see what they are really like!

Oh, lucky I got them fitted when I did, I reckon my OEM discs have only got a couple of thousand miles left in them, I'm having them resurfaced though and they will be a backup.

mikegsi

Staff member
if you use plenty of copper slip on the mintex pads when you get them, on the pins and retaining clips you'll not suffer from the low speed squel that most aftermarket performance pads give off

but, as i said from the start, they are the best brake combo you can buy!!! :D

Turtle

Worth investing in a tube of CeraTec brake grease. (It's sold under Mintex and Pagid brands at the very least). Copper slip tends to dry out over time or when the brakes get hot. CeraTec is much more robust as it's been designed for the job. It's only something like £2.50 for a tube - enough for many set of pads - so well worth trying.

-Brian.

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
Turtle said:
Worth investing in a tube of CeraTec brake grease. (It's sold under Mintex and Pagid brands at the very least). Copper slip tends to dry out over time or when the brakes get hot. CeraTec is much more robust as it's been designed for the job. It's only something like £2.50 for a tube - enough for many set of pads - so well worth trying.

-Brian.
Any links to where I can buy this?? I would love to cure my brake squeal problem

dazza

Advanced Member
BadBadtz said:
Turtle said:

-Brian.
Any links to where I can buy this?? I would love to cure my brake squeal problem
This looks like the stuff mate-
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/CeraTEC-Synthetic ... dZViewItem

Bargain too 8)

Paul G

Members
MilanoChris said:
I got these fitted today. Thanks to Chris at Center Gravity for letting me use your ramp, your tools and also for making me a cup of tea 8)

Anyway, on the drive home the brakes were a bit poo, due to muck on the discs obviously. Did some 40-100-40 stints and after the second or third go they finally came alive. Lets just say, that even with OEM pads, my neck is hurting.

The stopping power is simply phenomenal. Sadly I don't think that the OEM pads are much cop with the discs, as after a short while of very heavy braking the car started to fade. I pulled over to witness the discs glowing and smoke bellowing out of the pads.

Once they had cooled down the intense stopping power returned.

I can't wait to get the Mintex pads fitted, the OEM ones just don't seem to cope with the extra heat that these discs generate. When cold, they are similar, if not worse then stock, once they have heat they are great yet in track conditions I could easily see one set of OEM pads lasting no longer then one or two sessions. I think the pad is getting too warm, not sure what happens to the compound but there's lots of fade. I reckon I've took a good 5000 miles worth of wear on the pad away on the way home looking at the meat left on the pad. :lol:

Anyway, thanks Paul, I'm really looking forward to getting the Mintex pads fitted to see what they are really like!

Oh, lucky I got them fitted when I did, I reckon my OEM discs have only got a couple of thousand miles left in them, I'm having them resurfaced though and they will be a backup.
Glad you like them :D , you would have had to bed your old pads into the new discs to start with - sounds like you've done that now :wink:

As you say the OEM pads are just not up to the job......Wait till you get the Mintex pads fitted, i think you will find there even better from cold as well.

Another thing maybe brake fluid, if it's not been refreshed at the calippers lately it can can take on moisture, which when hot can course a long/soft feel to the brake pedal - But this only norm happens on track (Just how hard were you driving it :shock: :lol: )

Brian - Thanks for the Ceratec info :)

BadBadtz - What discs/pads are you using :?:

Paul G .

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
paul G said:
(Just how hard were you driving it :shock: :lol: )

Paul G .
Very hard mate, empty A road you see :lol:

My brake fluid is being changed at the end of the month when I have my service.

mikegsi

Staff member
MilanoChris said:
paul G said:
(Just how hard were you driving it :shock: :lol: )

Paul G .
Very hard mate, empty A road you see :lol:

My brake fluid is being changed at the end of the month when I have my service.
if you havent already this would be a perfect excuse to fit braided lines, give tom @ tgm a shout too and get some brembo low compression racing brake fluid :wink:

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Yeah I've already looked into that but I have a lot of outgoings next month so it will have to wait.

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Well the OEM pads have anti-squeal shims already on them. I didn't bother slipping mine and I get no squeal so I'd almost certainly say that it's you discs.

Another point to note with these discs, the bell is slightly wider then stock you have the advantage of having a wider front track :D

gixer750

Advanced Member
how much wider? toe out on turns could be compromised as the inner wheel now has a smaller circle and wider outer circle. it may be only a fraction different, but a handling factor nonetheless

Turtle

The bells have to be slightly thicker to be strong enough - if they were the same thickness the aluminium wouldn't be up to the job.

Being a few mm thicker doesn't really matter anyway. It's the same as running a couple of mm spacer. Yes, you're lowering the offset of the wheels slightly. Yes, you've moved the tyre contact patch outwards slightly compared to where the king pin line hits the grounds. The difference is really not worth worry about.

At the risk of generalising when you change the wheel offset by 5mm or more then you start to notice changes and should put some thought into whether that's a positive change or not for the overall setup of the car (can be either....). I suspect you'll find the aluminium bells are circa 3mm thicker - not enough to waste time thinking about IMHO.

-Brian.