Petrol Gauge

subtronics

Advanced Member
So not sure if this is anything to worry about, as I can keep my eye on it. But I was running late this morning on route to work and didn't fill up. Now on the way home, the light was on, but the gauge kept moving up and down. Still keeping the light on, but it would go really low, then pop back up again.

Then stopped off at the garage on the way home and it only took 57quid to fill up. Usually its 65ish. I always use Vpower or BP Ultimate.

Any ideas? Tbh I don't tend to run it with the light on, and keep it tanked up as it helps me budget (2 tanks a month). Be interested if anyone has as explination or theirs does the same!

linh-ej9

Advanced Member
I find the petrol gauge on DC5 is crap, once it hits the low level caused by going uphill or downhill it just stays on. You could have plenty of fuel left and the light stay on. I normally switch the engine off then back on again on level ground that should might clear it for a little while.

spooke

Advanced Member
As Linh-dc5, I find that if I drive home from work with the light on, the needle will drop close to the red, the next startup it won't be on and I'll have gained almost a quarter of a tank - although I just regular re-fuel every week so it's not a problem for me.

linh-dc5 said:
I find the petrol gauge on DC5 is crap, once it hits the low level caused by going uphill or downhill it just stays on. You could have plenty of fuel left and the light stay on. I normally switch the engine off then back on again on level ground that should might clear it for a little while.
Same here. I discovered mine tends to moan for her dinner with about 10L left in the tank; the needle will hoover over the red with two or thee lines and the light will come swiftly on.

By the way what is the furtherest anyone has gone on a tank? My best record so far is 342 something miles.

gaza4

Advanced Member
i've never fully relied on the fuel gauge in any car. i always fill the tank and reset one of the trip dials. i know i can get about 550kms from a tank so i go by that instead. my trip is reading 400ish right now and the fuel guage is just under half so obviously its completely inaccurate. i have found with hondas that the top half usually lasts a long while and then it will just drop all of a sudden through the lower half

subtronics

Advanced Member
I get 200 to 230miles to a tank. But I spend 60% of my time in first gear traffic at the minute. It's not a major issue, I always put a full tank in it anyway. :)

p1tse

Advanced Member
Not much to add, apart from when it gets below a 1/4 it goes down very quick with light on soon after

Also rather than quote £ to fill, would be more accurate to quote litres filled

delsoljon86

Advanced Member
My last teg was superb had a great gauge on it really accurate however my recent one the petrol gauge goes up and down in between starts driving to work am on about half a tank arrive at work and park on a very very slight angle downwards and the petrol gauge shows as 2/3s full

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Can't say ive noticed any abnormal needle activity in mine in over 5 years. Of course it's going to move slightly....its a float switch on liquid. However...i cant say mine moves drastically up or down over gradients. And being near Weston and regularly visiting Devon/ Cornwall which is all hilly, its not doing any obvious changes in this time. ?

MissMyDC2

Advanced Member
I never put more than 30 quid in mine. Usually 20. And see the point of carrying round all that weight. My needle can be a bit erratic but as said above it's a float and usually settles down.

subtronics

Advanced Member
MissMyDC2 said:
I never put more than 30 quid in mine. Usually 20. And see the point of carrying round all that weight. My needle can be a bit erratic but as said above it's a float and usually settles down.
I fill it up to save time, I work compressed shifts, so time on the days when I am working is limited. Also helps me budget as I know I need to fill up once or twice a month.

civicjordan281

Advanced Member
My fuel gauge is utter poo! I fill up it stays full for a little while then it falls straight to half,stays there for about 50 miles then goes to 1/4 and to top it off my fuel light works when it wants to but mostly never 😡

gurrik

My gauges is so inaccurate I tend to keep a mental note of when it's time to fill up. Always find that the top half goes by so quickly and then the bottom stays forever. When when the tank is 100% completely full the guard doesn't reach to top stays somewhere between 90-95%

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DC5Jack

Advanced Member
I had the gauge just suddenly drop to empty on a spirited drive once. Scared the life out of me. I know I get around 200-240 miles out of tank. Drove around for ages just using the trip meter till I could get it to the garage.

Turns out the fuel sender unit had fallen apart in the tank. Had it repaired and it's been great ever since

DC5Jack said:
I had the gauge just suddenly drop to empty on a spirited drive once. Scared the life out of me. I know I get around 200-240 miles out of tank. Drove around for ages just using the trip meter till I could get it to the garage.

Turns out the fuel sender unit had fallen apart in the tank. Had it repaired and it's been great ever since
I am gonna get that check when my car is due a service next May when I am down at SVA.

YENRAV

Advanced Member
I once got 450+ to a tank on my way upto Scotland. Mainly Motorway/A road cruising.

My mates and their b series hated it, lol.

WraithPriest

Advanced Member
YENRAV said:
I once got 450+ to a tank on my way upto Scotland. Mainly Motorway/A road cruising.

My mates and their b series hated it, lol.
I was getting 44MPG on the way to Scotland once, it was great.

MaxMacGechan

Pretty consistantly get around 330-360 miles to the tank. Average usually 34mpg, combination of motorways, A roads and city driving