Pioneer's new double DIN navi/bluetooth/iPod/DVD player

gaz3434

Advanced Member
Now THAT is 2007's dream head unit for the DC5!!! :wink: :D

It pretty much has everything I ever wanted from a head unit (apart from tea & coffee making facilities :lol: ) and it's double DIN. Only problem is its £1500 price tag! :shock: I guess I better start saving....

gaz3434

Advanced Member
Raffe said:
crxvtec said:
check out the third picture on the page :D
DC5 with blue instrumentation....nice 8)
That photo appears to be from the Acura RSX; they don't have blue illumination, do they?! :eek:

Looks very well in the double DIN slot tho! 8)

crxvtec

Advanced Member
Nice to see you found my thread :D

The RSX has red illumination, however out in the US, changing the LEDs to illuminate in blue is a popular mod (esp if you have a blue RSX!) so they've taken the pic from a modded car as it's a nice match for the blue LEDs of the head unit.

Why Pioneer don't stick to red is anyone's guess :roll:

But anyway Gaz, I think this is your dream HU. Leave the Alpine to us iPod hardnuts :lol:

gaz3434

Advanced Member
crxvtec said:
Nice to see you found my thread :D
Yeah, thanks for that - now my credit card is this close to getting a serious bashing! :lol:

crxvtec said:
The RSX has red illumination, however out in the US, changing the LEDs to illuminate in blue is a popular mod (esp if you have a blue RSX!) so they've taken the pic from a modded car as it's a nice match for the blue LEDs of the head unit.
Those crazy yanks! :lol: (Although I quite like the idea and it actually looks pretty 8) :wink: )

crxvtec said:
But anyway Gaz, I think this is your dream HU. Leave the Alpine to us iPod hardnuts :lol:
It certainly is my dream HU and is likely to stay that way for a wee while yet.... And you can keep your Alpine stuff - I never liked the design of them anyway! :)

kingston

Advanced Member
stoppid question maybe, but as ive never dismantled and looked behind the dash...

How easy is it to swap the led's around?

crxvtec

Advanced Member
Pioneer video here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h_w3UZIEo8k

Info on the LED swap and photos is on clubrsx.com - have a butchers.

Having seen the video it's clear this Pioneer HU has fully customisable illumination colour so we can have it blend perfectly to our dash.

Sod it, I want one too. Forget the Alpine!

crxvtec

Advanced Member
I'm not, and have never been, and Alpiner. I have always bought Pioneer (and before I had a drivers license, I'd buy Pioneer for my dad's cars) but was considering defecting because of the unique merits of this particular model finally offering the level of iPod integration that should have been there from the start.

By the looks of things, Pioneer have gone one better by emulating the iPod controller on screen and also allowing for the iPod's video content to be watched on its bigger screen - add to that legendary Pioneer sound quality, red illumination and the fact that my car has a double DIN slot and I think we have a winner. I just hope that it has Burr-Brown DACs on board - that'll be the final icing on the cake.

crxvtec

Advanced Member
Change of plan (and mind) - I'm going to go Alpine. This Pioneer does NOT take data from the iPod like the Alpine does - it simply takes line out and picture out and presents the composite video image on its low res (234 line) screen - so this is definitely not going to sound as good as the Alpine (though it won't sound bad either) - and video content sent from the iPod has to be controlled from the iPod - which kinda goes against the idea of hiding the iPod in the glovebox. Lastly, that screen res is about the same as the Alpine IVA-W200Ri with 234 lines so picture quality will be VHS grade and not DVD grade - and that's enough for me not to want to waste that kind of money on it.

gaz3434

Advanced Member
Thanks for the update but what you've said wouldn't really put me off even if I had the money to buy it! :) I wouldn't be buying it to watch videos from my iPod as I'm generally to busy concentrating on my driving when I'm in my car! :wink: :lol: And I'm sure the sound quality would be good enough for me as it is already with my current Pioneer + iPod adapter setup. As I said before tho, £1500 is a lot of money to spend on a stereo.... :?

crxvtec

Advanced Member
Yep it won't sound any worse than your current setup but won't sound any better either - but the Alpine will as it streams data and pumps that through its onboard Burr-Browns.

So it begs the question - where does the money go? We know this unit is $1000 in the USA (RRP) - so that's around £500 so if it's built to that price point, with most of that cost going on the screen, don't expect it to be anything like the £1000+ head units designed for sound quality. It'll be more like a £300 unit for SQ, much like the Alpine IVA-W200Ri.

Neil_H

Advanced Member
Very nice unit, although not really different enough for me to upgrade mine.

I will say that the standard Pioneer Ipod adapter is very good (doesn't do video though) and the bluetooth phone kit is also excellent.

crxvtec

Advanced Member
Yep your unit's bloody good - this would be a bit of a downgrade for you in some respects as the screen's much smaller.

Pioneer have a new technology to rival Alpine's new iPod USB connection - they call it uBus. If you're buying a new Pioneer unit in 2007, make sure it has uBus.

LeeH

Advanced Member
That looks the nuts 8) ^^^^^^^^^^^

I've just bought......

If you play it through the full speed connection and convert the MP3's to ACC on iTunes you can get very near to CD quality (apparently)

JCW

Advanced Member
gaz3434 said:
I've just been offered this Pioneer AVIC-D3 head unit + Bluetooth adapter for a little over £700! :D

What do you reckon - should I go for it?! It would look cool in the dashboard of my teg:
go for it they are normally a grand :!: i'm getting one 8)