Police fine for sticky number plate

jcamerz

Advanced Member
Got a sticky number plate on front of car and police were doing random checks pulled me over and said my plates were illegal car sails through MOTs no porb, he said to check Dvla to get correct size I have standard format but smaller size than uk standard (78mm) is this ok for imports as I looked on Dvla and it says imports can have a smaller size if plate sizing is restricted? Also officer put my car down as Honda civic on ticket lol
Think I mite have to order new sticky plate from chris

JDC5

Charged DC5
How much did you get fine mate?

I think i got a £30 on the spot fine, its the second time so i fort to myself best change it back to the normal plates lol the sticky plates looks much better but i can't afford another £30 fine lol

jcamerz

Advanced Member
£60 fine :( what size lettering do you have on the square plate do you know? How's the brake stopper too lol u manage to fit it?

JDC5

Charged DC5
I just went to my local car suppliers that do legal plates with all the stamps. I told him i wanted the import size and he made it for me. Only cost £8 think the size was 12x6 plate size. No fancy letters. Not had a trouble since, in fact i get pulled over less now!

curse!!!! £60.. stupid police!!!!

havent fitted the brake stopper yet lol... still on my to-do list

chris cc

Authorised Advertiser
Unlucky fella.
I've chatted with contacts in the police, even traffic cops and it really is luck of the draw if you get done.
Though with a road side check like you encountered they will clamp down on everything.
Why exactly did they state your reg plate was illegal?

I had a sticky plate on for 3 years with no probs.
Though now have a rigid import sized one mounted under the bumper.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
I got done for this too. £60 fine. Bit harsh I think. They obviously don't have anything better to do!!

Fubar Andy

Advanced Member
As an import you can get away with front reg plates.

As mentioned UK reg'd cars have to conform and have fonts of 78mm and can be read from 25mtrs away.

It also makes it easier for ANPR to read your plate (which is one of the main reasons this is Policed)

Normally the Police will give you a VDR (vehicle defect report) and ask you to have it rectified and re-tested, but since it’s an import that does not apply to you.

You need to print off or memorise the details from the DVLA site or Road Traffic Act so when you are discussing it with an officer you can clearly explain the situation and control the conversation. That way you can avoid fines!

...also be aware that most Police offers are only wanting to hit stats for fines and arrests.

Normally non traffic officers don’t have a fécking clue what they are on about and if you correct them with the law it finishes the conversation.

Also be polite when talking and they also soften up, they cba with the paperwork!

jcamerz

Advanced Member
They just said that my front plate is illegal letter size and back one I had small writing which they said shouldnt be there I have now put a sticker over that so that's sorted but don't want the square plate at front so can you make me a sticky please Chris with uk specs? Thanks

jasondc55

Advanced Member
Very harsh Jam but as of your smaller lettering for imports forget it the police aint interested .Wrong size ? Easy target A standard size reflective sticky should be fine .As of the small lettering on the bottom huh? Mine says Bristol Import centre .If your says F..k off Police them I would understand but they are just picking at flies. Also Fubar Andy is right politeness does not cost anything. :xwavey: :xgrin:

CJN

Advanced Member
So sticky plates like what Dotty has are illegal? I would prefer a sticky plate, but I'd rather have 12x6'ish size plate up front if it keeps £60 in my pocket

civicjordan281

Advanced Member
I've had a sticky plate on the front of mine for nearly 3 years that chris made and ive never had problems with mot's or with the police so I guess your just unlucky mate :(

dave c

400hp K20
London isn't the place for avoiding cops really. I've been stopped loads and it does get very annoying. I don't even argue anymore as they just get upperty and give you the fine anyway so I took mine off. Same fine £60 but looks loads better without a plate up front