Poorly Engine :( - Cam related

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Well low and behold, after all the scare mongering it wasn't the chain and tensioner!

It was the VTC spool valve. Apparently it may have jammed open through the lack of VTEC it gets on my daily commute :oops:

Replacement valve was £70 plus labour for reference

wj51fut

Advanced Member
davidpingu said:
Well low and behold, after all the scare mongering it wasn't the chain and tensioner!

It was the VTC spool valve. Apparently it may have jammed open through the lack of VTEC it gets on my daily commute :oops:

Replacement valve was £70 plus labour for reference
I take it the spool valve is the one on the back of the head of the engine on the left hand side as your looking at it?

eXceed

Resident Driver
I can honestly say I've never heard of that spool valve before...

Shame on you for not hitting VTEC daily as well, Honda gods punished you!

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Ha ha, yes shame on me indeed. This morning I went out determined to get into VTEC but it was the same story. No opportunity!

The spool valve is apparently located on the left side of the block Adam. Looks as if you get a cam related fault and inspection shows the chain is still nice and tight and your timing lines up that this should be the next place you go. Cam sensors aren't known to fail and yet it's normally the first thing people will spend money on replacing, myself included nearly!

Nearly spent £300 on a chain, tensioner and guides unnecassarily too!

dotty

Advanced Member
The chain and tensioner is still worth getting done as your car gets older and approaches the higher miles.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
Totally agree. I'll be getting this done as soon as funds allow. Probably towards the end of the summer now. Just the thought of damaging my valves made me feel queasy and now I feel like I've been given a second chance!