Possible diff and clutch??

roadrunner811

Hi guys, hopefully you can help me out.

#1 Pulling to the right under accel. The problem is when I accelarate the car pulls badly to the right almost like very bad torque steer, then when you lift the car pulls back to the left, this gets worse the faster you go or the harder you accelarate, could this be the LSD?

#2 Crunchy gears when driven hard. The car is fine when driven at low - medium revs but as soon as it hits vtec - the redline it just will not go in gear easily at all, you have to blip the throttle when the clutch is pressed (sort of like rev matching if you know what i mean) to be able to select the next gear. Could this be the clutch?

Thanks for you time guys, its killing me not been able to drive this car properly as I`ve only had it about 1 month and can see the potential lol.

Thanks.

Dave.

Stoo

Whining.....
Problem 1

Could be all sorts.
I would probably dis-count the diff for now.
Could be top mounts, ball joints, drive shafts, tyre pressures, alignment etc etc

Problem 2 could also be a number of things.

Gearbox fluid could be old and need changing
Low Clutch fluid
Broken engine mounts
Clutch pedal out of adjustment
or in fact a worn clutch.

How many miles has it done?
Any evidence of clutch change in the paperwork??

petie180

Advanced Member
Prob 1 how good are your tyres?bad tyres could make the car pulley over the road but most likely what stoo suggested..maybe jack the car up both sides or if you have a lift..do a check of the ball joints or even a badly wore track rod end or ends..did this prob just come into the car or what?

roadrunner811

Problem 1

Could be all sorts.
I would probably dis-count the diff for now.
Could be top mounts, ball joints, drive shafts, tyre pressures, alignment etc etc

Problem 2 could also be a number of things.

Gearbox fluid could be old and need changing
Low Clutch fluid
Broken engine mounts
Clutch pedal out of adjustment
or in fact a worn clutch.

How many miles has it done?
Any evidence of clutch change in the paperwork??
The car has done about 73k miles and no clutch paperwork, the last owner doesnt think its been done.
Fluid seems fine and the last service was at TGM prob about 3k miles ago now and I think they did the gearbox oil.

The last owner had the hub and bearing reaplaced but didnt have it re-tracked, so I (and him) was hopeing that might be the cause of the pulling, but Ive had the 4 wheel alignment done and as it has camber bolts and arms had them checked and adjusted but did not make a differnce....

Stoo

Whining.....
OK, it's about time it had a clutch then.
That may alleviate your gear selection issues.
I reccomend new clutch fluid at the same time.
I paid around £430 for a STG1 Competiton Clutch fitted with new fluid and bearing too.

As for the pulling, I'd check all the bushes, top mounts, ball joints, Track rod ends etc etc and go from there.
In fact, while its in for a clutch get them to have a look.

roadrunner811

Prob 1 how good are your tyres?bad tyres could make the car pulley over the road but most likely what stoo suggested..maybe jack the car up both sides or if you have a lift..do a check of the ball joints or even a badly wore track rod end or ends..did this prob just come into the car or what?
The tyres are fine but they are odd, the thing is it pulls to severe for it to be the tyres.

The car had the problems when I bought it lol :-s on the test drive the last owner was driving to start with and the gear change seemed fine in vtec. When I was driving the clutch seemed fine at low - mid speeds so i didnt rag it.

It was pulling tho and when i mentioned it he said it was down to odd tyres and the camber bolts/arms/tracking not been set up right after the work he had had done.
(please dont think I`m saying the last owner might of been trying to mislead me in any way as he is a member on here and I`m sure he was been truthfull)

Thanks for the replys guys I will get it checked out again and try to ajust the clutch.

roadrunner811

OK, it's about time it had a clutch then.
That may alleviate your gear selection issues.
I reccomend new clutch fluid at the same time.
I paid around £430 for a STG1 Competiton Clutch fitted with new fluid and bearing too.

As for the pulling, I'd check all the bushes, top mounts, ball joints, Track rod ends etc etc and go from there.
In fact, while its in for a clutch get them to have a look.
Ah ok thanks, Stoo thats given me hope its not the diff I was starting to get worried it was going to start costing me a fortune!

Thanks.

Oopps just realised have I posted this in the place? sorry.

EvilBugger

Hi - I've had mine about 2 months now and I've got exactly the same probelm with the clutch - It goes through the gears beautifully under 6 or 7k rpm, but as soon as you're deep in the VTEC you just can't make a quick gear change, you've got to put the clutch down, wait for the revs to drop abit and then it will lock into gear. FRUSTRATING!!

I've been told the clutch isn't disengaging, first sign of it being worn and requiring replacement soon. Checked through the paperwork and it's never been replaced, currently at 86k so that's the next thing on the list me thinks.

VooDoo

Advanced Member
I have the pulling issue too, but I'm pretty sure mines is to the left. I'd say mines does it more so down lower gears, I dont think it does it from 3rd onwards. I've checked so many things and still no success so it would be interesting to see what your issue is.

neil_integra

Advanced Member
That pulling on acceleration drove me mad and cost me 4 tyres and 3 geomertry set ups. turned out to be play in the front shocks and mine had done about 80k miles.

VooDoo

Advanced Member
I had the pulling on acceleration on standard shocks and on new coilovers so I hope its not the front coilovers causing it. Pretty fed up of getting geometry setups :lol:

roadrunner811

I know this is a very old topic, but I've just remembered I didn't update it ...2years later lol

The problem with the car pulling to the one side was all down to the tyres, ood tyres on the front and uneven wear! You would of never of guessed it if you'd have driven it tho it was so agressive but there you go lol.

And the gear change problem was only sorted by changing the clutch :)

So I'm now very happy with the car and have been for the last two or so years lmao...

Sorry but I had to update lol and thanks to every one... Better late than never I say :p