Possible engine problem need advice :(

shanedixon

Advanced Member
Got in my car this morning started driving and it almost feels like my brakes are stuck on when I'm trying to accelerate its not a misfire just had a full service no engine light etc I'm worried what could this be just had O2 sensor done the car wasn't 100% warm but but still never done that before it just felt like the power was holding off any suggestions

Zani

Advanced Member
Let the car warm up properly and try again.

Check the usual oil level, spark plugs etc.

I've not had this problem before so my thoughts stop there.... but i'm sure others will reply shortly with detailed knowledge.

shanedixon

Advanced Member
Just checked the oil its spot on il give it a proper run in a bit and see if it gets any better it almost felt like my engine was seizing I doubt that's the case tho

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
Takes a good 10-15 minutes to warm up properly, especially in this weather. Vtec wont engage and it will feel very sluggish.

If your using your water temp gauge as any indication then the oil definitely would not have been up to temp, even when the water temp is normal the oil can still not be hot enough, I wouldn't go by the water temp gauge.

shanedixon

Advanced Member
I have just give it a good run and it seems to be ok at the minuite but I'm goin to take it down to the garage to check I never Vetec until the water temp has been on the normal operating temp for a good ten minuites it always gets a good 20 minuites from cold before my foot goes down as I know the oil will still not be hot its just annoying just forked out £200 on an O2 sensor over £100 on a service £120 rear brakes and other little bits an bobs iv needed aswell do love the teg tho so it's all worth it :)

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
I tried to vtec on cold (as a test years ago), made me think there was something wrong with the car, it was just not warm enough so it doesn't engage to protect the engine.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
i wouldnt bother going to a garage with it, just go for a blast im sure it will be fine.

shanedixon

Advanced Member
Doin it again now so don't no what to say had it plugged in tonight with no errors I'm really puzzled :( I might try put the standard airbox back on and clean the tps

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
Very unlikely to be TPS, generally sensors themselves are incredibly reliable.

Is it engaging vtec?

Phil r type

Advanced Member
i had a similar problem with my old dc2, some times would feel like the hand brake was still on, in the end it was the drive shaft !?!?! hope you find it soon mate.

shanedixon

Advanced Member
I have put my standard air box on with the spoon filter problem seems to be resolved at the moment going to give the induction kit a good clean and then put it back on yer car was fine after 3 k revs Vetec engages beautifull :) going to change the file filter and notice the radiator is full off water but the white tank witch I take is coolant is empty so ordered some of that to from Honda

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
The white tank is connected to the radiator and is for expansion only, there is usually two marks one for max level when cold and one when hot, it should have the exact same liquid in it as your radiator ( engine coolant mixed with water)

If your rad contained only water it would freeze in the rad and engine block, and normally that would be enough to totally fuck your motor, as it will cause a head gasket failure or a core plug to come out, coolent/antifreeze lowers the freezing temp and stops that from happening, it also contains corrosion inhibitors wheras water alone doesn't enough.

paul hughes

C&S Evo7 said:
The white tank is connected to the radiator and is for expansion only, there is usually two marks one for max level when cold and one when hot, it should have the exact same liquid in it as your radiator ( engine coolant mixed with water) If your rad contained only water it would freeze in the rad and engine block, and normally that would be enough to totally fuck your motor, as it will cause a head gasket failure or a core plug to come out, coolent/antifreeze lowers the freezing temp and stops that from happening, it also contains corrosion inhibitors wheras water alone doesn't enough.
How to check this at home....^^

Put a £2 coin in the freezer overnight....then in the morning dry your tounge with kitchen tissue,,,,then stick the frozen coin to the end of your tounge.....
then go to look in a mirror.... if your frozen engine looks like this ,,its Foooked !!!
:xlol:

if anyone doesnt get it,,show this to your Dad and he will explain :) you will then force a grin,,,or maybe even fart laughing.

dc5-2ltr

dc5-2ltr
paul hughes said:
How to check this at home....^^

Put a £2 coin in the freezer overnight....then in the morning dry your tounge with kitchen tissue,,,,then stick the frozen coin to the end of your tounge.....
then go to look in a mirror.... if your frozen engine looks like this ,,its Foooked !!!
:xlol:

if anyone doesnt get it,,show this to your Dad and he will explain :) you will then force a grin,,,or maybe even fart laughing.
Brilliant!!