Possible hydrolock today?

mickyboy22

[SIZE=12pt]Long story short, encountered the worst rain fall ever whilst driving today….[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Basically there was standing water everywhere on the way back from somewhere. I run a Injen CAI. Anyways came round a corner and just saw what looked like to be and river going across the road. I coasted through it, knocked it out of gear and plowed through it at about 20-30mph, then once through it the engine stalls and cuts out..... I paused for a few minutes and tried to comprehend what happened and if it had just sucked a load of water on and killed my engine. I waited a few mins and tried to start it, it would to turn over but not fire up. Then after about 15 mins it started to fire and kick into life. But white smoke came out from the exhaust and it spluttered into life. Gave it a bit of time to start idling then drove down the road and seemed ok. Then managed to get back home which was an hours drive away.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Im hoping and praying that the heat from the engine would of evapourated any excess water that could of got into the engine as it fired back up again and wasent completely locked up. After driving it a bit the white smoke went and it seemed alright although I did take it very cautiously home.[/SIZE]
[SIZE=12pt]Is it poss the filter could of just got that wet no air could of got through?[/SIZE]

integraleo

Advanced Member
Sounds like you were lucky. If it had sucked up a small amount the pistons would push that out. If it's still running I'd put it down to a close call.Might be worth an oil change just to be on safe side

coyote_dc5

Administrator
Staff member
Why I've always run an SR. Just not worth it if you use as daily through winter months for those marginal gains. You were very lucky, if you hadn't of idled through then would have been a different ending

Sent from my Z10 using Tapatalk 2

mickyboy22

I literally came round a corner in the dark and didnt know it was there. just knocked it out of gear as soon as i could and coasted through it. Going to drop the oil today and give it a flush. Then see how it goes.

Kevin85

Advanced Member
Fair play. Any water would burn off very quickly. Chances of oil contamination are minimal, but peace of mind is worth it's weight in gold. That doesn't make sense, but you know what I mean.

2ndy

Advanced Member
Happened to my old ep3 years ago, done what you described. I just changed to a short ram and didnt do anything else and the car was fine so i wouldnt worry about it too much although it was quite worrying at the time

mickyboy22

Aye at the time my heart sunk and just thought the worst tbh... :xno: Had it running this morning but idle seems a bit more lumpy than usual

kammy11

Advanced Member
Sounds like you had a close call! I killed my b16 in my em1 only a few months after getting it.
Fair play just more or less idling through at least that way the intake wouldn't have been trying to suck too much air in
As above a wee service wouldn't go wrong in this situation

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
I saw a Hydrolocked K20 engine at Grinspeed and it was a fu*king mess. Hope yours is ok mate.

coolerking

Advanced Member
literally the exact same thing happened to me, was running an Injen CAI too, I wasn't so lucky though. lots of money later, its been replaced with a more powerful brand new engine.

I switched to an engine bay filter, Gruppe m. I would recommend this if your using your car daily.

But yeah I would get it checked out.

Saint Matt

Advanced Member
Kevin85 said:
Please show your working on this thought process.
If it has hydrolocked and even slightly bent a rod, the compression will be lower on that cylinder, no?

I swapped an engine on an EK9 a couple of years ago, it had hydrolocked (although it had been in the water for longer) and this was the result when I stripped it down.

Bit of an extreme case granted, but for the minimal effort it takes it's worth it IMO.

Matt

Shortstuff

Advanced Member
Ive had an AEM CAI for the last 3 years and been through 3 winters and never had an issue. Cleaned it few months back and was impressed with how clean it is. Performance and noise for the price its a great product in my opinion.

Just got to be weary when heavy rain, i dont go down any country lanes that may have flooded, drive a bit slower and turn around in worse case scenarios. (Im lucky now I have a company car so I have a choice what i drive)

Hopefully mate, you are ok :)

Kevin85

Advanced Member
Saint Matt said:
If it has hydrolocked and even slightly bent a rod, the compression will be lower on that cylinder, no?

I swapped an engine on an EK9 a couple of years ago, it had hydrolocked (although it had been in the water for longer) and this was the result when I stripped it down.

Bit of an extreme case granted, but for the minimal effort it takes it's worth it IMO.

Matt
The engine wasn't hydrolocked, just starved of air so cut out. Water definitely made it's way into the combustion chamber, but it doesn't sound like anywhere near enough to lock it up.

Saying all that, peace of mind is a wonderful thing. Compression testers are cheap as chips, and it's handy to have one if you regularly kick it's(the car) head in, nice to make a note of the compression when you change the oil. :)

mickyboy22

Ended up ordering new oil and filter for it and doing a compression test tonight to see whats what... Compression test will determine if a rod is bent. praying it aint though! Still peace of mind doing it all and needs oil change anyways ha.