Post-trackday brake photos - what's the damage?

lockwood77

Advanced Member
Just thought I'd take some pics of the brakes as I changed the pads back to 1144s today, I noticed a couple of things:

Piston dust cover melt! You can just make out the way that the rubber has gone into a "wavy" shape and when you prod it, some bits are quite hard. Should I be worried? Brake fluid seems OK, no leaks.

Then I noticed that one of the pads (outside of the caliper on the driver side) has worn oddly - not like one piston is sticking, but chamfered from inside to out. Any ideas why this would happen? My guess is that the disc is more worn on the outside, which you can actually feel - it "dips" as you run your finger from the centre towards the edge, but thinking about it, why would that wear the pad more?

Finally, a Paul G brake disc, which to my mind still looks fine, but if anyone thinks otherwise, do tell me!

I've had to put some old pads back in and because my original 1144s weren't the ones that fitted properly with the discs, I've had to use particularly worn ones on the outside to clear the bell, with not-so-worn older ones on the inside where the extra backing plate doesn't matter. Not the greatest brake feel I must say, but it still stops!

LeeH

Advanced Member
Tip of the hat to you sir :twisted:

Google 'Big Red' they do refurb kits for Brembo's. Or they will fully refurb them for you.

They will be fine to use as the cover does not hold in the fluid. But they will be more prone to seizing.

I did full refurb on a stock set of 306 callipers last month (I know, miles apart!) and they were a piece of cake.

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
i would remove the discs and clean and check them thoroughly, the light surface cracking is normal ,but if they get longer and towards the outside of the disc they will want changing.

the dust seal wont be a problem, it is only a dust seal, you can get the brembo kit from honda, pm linzie94 she bought some recently and works for honda so will have the number at hand

lockwood77

Advanced Member
Cool, cheers guys, that's what I thought. I've looked at Big Red before as I wanted a re-seal kit for the rears (Nissin calipers), but they couldn't do one for that part no. so ended up with Honda's own massively expensive one. I expect they'll have the Brembo ones though.

Don't fancy a re-seal to be honest, it's only the dust caps, might try and see if they're available separately. :)

Paul G said the same about the discs to me Simon, so I've had a good look and can't see anything other than surface cracks - I've completely cracked a couple of sets in my time on the RX-7, which was a different kettle of fish!

jonster

Advanced Member
Your Paul G disks look about the same condition mine where when I bought his test set second hand off him originally. Same heat crack pattern. They probably had a harder life with him than I gave them but still seemed indestructible. I wish he'd sort me out a set for my FD2. Awesome disk.

lockwood77

Advanced Member
Yeah, I bought these off Milano Chris after Paul had been using them for I don't know how many trackdays - Chris didn't buy these off you did he!?

Phenomenal life when you look at the heat and abuse they take. =D>

BadBadtz

Advanced Member
as for the uneven pad wear - I've had this on my last set of OEM pads combined with J's disks after a few track days. I asked Tom at TGM about it and he said not to worry about it.

jonster

Advanced Member
lockwood77 said:
Yeah, I bought these off Milano Chris after Paul had been using them for I don't know how many trackdays - Chris didn't buy these off you did he!?

Phenomenal life when you look at the heat and abuse they take. =D>
Nope, don't think so. I sold mine to someone else on this forum.

ab20000

Advanced Member
Thread revival but my calipers have gone the same way, Honda want £100+VAT per side for a refurb kit :lol: :roll: - my car is a track only car so is it worth actually removing them or just leave them in place as they are? Can easily keep them clean after use when I swap the pads so imagibe they'll be fine.

lockwood77

Advanced Member
Well, mine have been like that for over a year and a half with about 18,000 road miles done and so far, all seems well, so I think you'll be alright.

ab20000

Advanced Member
lockwood77 said:
Well, mine have been like that for over a year and a half with about 18,000 road miles done and so far, all seems well, so I think you'll be alright.
Did you remove the seals?

Hancock

Advanced Member
ab20000 said:
Thread revival but my calipers have gone the same way, Honda want £100+VAT per side for a refurb kit :lol: :roll: - my car is a track only car so is it worth actually removing them or just leave them in place as they are? Can easily keep them clean after use when I swap the pads so imagibe they'll be fine.
£100 +vat is expensive! Ive just taken mine off and they have gone too. ian@godspeed who's on the MLR forum does full refurbs and well recommended I know he charges £65 for full strip down, bead blast and re paint with brembo logo's any colour and seal kit are £55 per caliper. I'm not sure what he will charge just for seals and wheather or not he will send seal kit out if you wanted to fit them yourself. I will ring him tomorrow and let you know

Heres a link if you are interested in contacting him yourself
http://www.godspeedbrakes.co.uk/

Hancock

Advanced Member
Just spoke to godspeed, He said dust covers are £12 each but will probably need seals doing as well if dust covers are bad, because im having them completely stripped and re-painted might as well change all seals and dust covers. Works out at £240 for both. Not exactly cheap but calipers are nearly 10 years old so probably a wise idea to get lot done while there off.

Will post some pics up when they're finished