powder coating

webbie

Advanced Member
has any one on here had there wheels powder coated .
I have heard that when they sand blast them before adding the powder it can weaken them

is this true

I was thinking of getting my wheels done white over winter

webbie

ally_mac

Advanced Member
i had the wheels powder coated on my old car, but mine werent sand blashed, they were dipped in acid. I think most ppl tht powder coat them will dip them rather than sand blash as it leaves a rough surface on the wheel

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
The part of the powdercoating process that could possibly weaken the rims is the baking part.

Sometimes they will pre bake to cook off any contaminates after blasting.
I don't know exactly how hot but exposing the alloy to the high temp can effect the initial heat treatment from when the wheel was manufactured.

The Wheel man

Hi webbie,

I work for an alloy wheel importer and we get wheels powder coated by a company called PRISTINE WHEELS (01908 282 628) all the time. They are top notch and can do quite a few colours 8) . The wheels are acid dipped then coated and baked. the temp is not hot enough to weaken the alloy as far as i am aware.

iDrew

Advanced Member
The Wheel man said:
Hi webbie,

I work for an alloy wheel importer and we get wheels powder coated by a company called PRISTINE WHEELS (01908 282 628) all the time. They are top notch and can do quite a few colours 8) . The wheels are acid dipped then coated and baked. the temp is not hot enough to weaken the alloy as far as i am aware.
That's very useful to know, cheers :D