Power query...

Gareth88

Advanced Member
Hey

Iv had my DC5 about 2months now, it has a Mugen air box and a HKS Silent Hi Power exhaust... Im really happy with the car BUT I think I was expecting more power;especially with the mods. My brother has an FN2 Civic Type R and my DC5 doesnt even slightly pull away from him.

Is this normal?? Is it because the mods need a remap to really show their potential?

Cheers

Jon_ep3ctr

Advanced Member
what's the mileage? has it being serviced new iridium plugs and gd quality oils, mine is standard and has cars lengths on fn2s Audi tt

Gareth88

Advanced Member
its on 52000miles has iridium plug, had a full honda service few weeks after I bought it. It didnt sit right in my head that it wasnt even slightluy pulling away... but I cant think of any reason why it shouldnt =/

pulpmelon_r

Advanced Member
An aftermarket airbox and std bore aftermarket exhaust wont add any noticeable power

If the car is well serviced and has no known faults get a compression test or run it on a dyno.

Also make sure you are using 98ron petrol

anton1234

Advanced Member
Might be worth pulling the fuse or disconnecting the negative on batterie for 5 mins then take out for a drive and let the ecu re teach itself,just don't thrash it, there is a thread in the technical section about it,

dc5-2ltr

dc5-2ltr
There is a metal thingy just to the right of the brake pedal.... try pushing it to the floor...HTH xthumbup

davidpingu

Advanced Member
I'd be tempted to put it on a set of rollers and see what it putting out. Get your brother to take his FN along for comparison too. I bet you're getting some abuse off your brother for this aren't you! Ha Ha.

Get it sorted mate and show him what the DC5 is really made of :)

Other thing I was thinking......your brother's not hiding anything under the bonnet with the word "Jackson" on it is he? :D

Gareth88

Advanced Member
Yes he's giving me a shed load of grief dude! What makes it even more frustraiting is his 2.2 prelude keeps up as well. Iv disconnected the battery;will see if that effects things. Ill try and get her to a dyno and see what she putting out

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
I really don't think the DC5 is as fast as everyone else seems to think it is! Not standard on UK fuel anyway.

Don't get me wrong, it's not slow! But the quoted 0-60 times of the DC5 is between 6.8 (Jap Fuel) and 7.2 (UK Fuel)
The EP3 is faster still at a quoted 6.4 (I think top gear did a test and the EP3 was faster than the new FN2)

The FN2 is quoted as being 6.6 there about's, so go figure...

This difference is what I believe you are experiencing.

I have noticed that there is a jump in power in my car after switching to Shell V-Power over BP Ultimate.
Ultimately, the DC5 needs mapping to our fuel IMO, then the DC5 would be no comparison, it would easily be faster.

I have driven a standard EP3 and Standard DC5, the EP3 felt faster to me, lol.

But I seriously think our fuel over here is seriously altering the DC5's performance.

Your DC5 on the rollers would be a good idea, it should be about 200+. anything less and you may have to look into why.

Mine was 197 on the rollers on BP 97, it was 200+ on v-power, I have recently changed the plugs/induction kit and I am pretty sure it's now more around the 210 range.

I personally don't think anything is wrong with your DC5, but rather peoples expectations are greater than the actual cars straight line performance. In terms of track racing though, the DC5 is an absolute weapon!

jasondc55

Advanced Member
This might be a silly quote but have you checked the throttle cable? It should have a little movement before any throttle response but not to much as a stretched cable wont open the throttle body fully. This is a simple check but easily miss understood on a drive by wire car such as the DC5.

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Yes he's giving me a shed load of grief dude! What makes it even more frustraiting is his 2.2 prelude keeps up as well. Iv disconnected the battery;will see if that effects things. Ill try and get her to a dyno and see what she putting out
I had a 2.2 SiR prelude (import) and that was curse fast! Don't forget the torque figures will be different with the extra .2 displacement.

You should be pulling away from an FN2 though, surely?! (I don't mean leave him for dead of course!)

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
You should be pulling away from an FN2 though, surely?! (I don't mean leave him for dead of course!)
Adam I bet you can't even pull away from an FN2.... I could put money on it, lol. (nor me either!)
I feel a test coming on, lol.

Anyone with an extensively modified/mapped DC5 though will absolutely slay one.

Around a track, again, the DC5 is where it's at it's best.

Gareth, don't worry, your DC5 is fine! Like Anton said though, reset your ECU by dis-connecting the battery, that may improve things if you are worried, I did the same myself recently after changing fuel grades.

Also to note, the DC5 standard is an already highly tuned machine, bolt ons like filters and exhaust etc will need mapping to get the best out of them.

Either way, the FN2 isn't a slow car, so the fact you are keeping up is a good sign.

PS, I am sure I will get abuse now, lol, but I have never seen any proof on either the standard DC5 being slower of faster than an FN2 in a straight line, other than what the official 0-60 times say for straight line performance, in which case the FN2 is quoted as being faster.

Ultimately though, just have fun with the car! It's a great looking machine with plenty of power standard :)
Don't brag about how fast it is/isn't just enjoy it.

If I had the cash I would have EVERY single Type-R made, lol.

Then just polish them... ha ha (although IMO the DC5 is the best looking, lol)

wj51fut

Advanced Member
Mate you would have arms like Popeye if you had that many Type R's to polish!

Ian is right though. I personally don't care about 0-60 times of other cars. Just as long as mine sounds and goes great then that's all that matters. Don't forget the technology on the FN2 is a lot newer so your comparing old and new effectively. (Although I still think you should be slightly ahead)

Anyway, we don't condone speeding and street races on this forum. Just good knowledge and how to enjoy your DC5! 😃👍

davidpingu

Advanced Member
http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?69251-Which-Type-R-with-the-K20-engine-is-lightest

Post #9 is the reason I'd expect the DC5 to be ahead by a good margin due to the power/weight ratio. Having said that as mentioned here you may not be near the quoted 217bhp from the factory. It does happen though! It seems as though the DC5 can vary as much as 15bhp from car to car in standard format. E.g. I remember someone on here putting out 217bhp on the rollers with just a spoon drop in filter but then I suppose there's the argument over differing dyno's too which is why I'd say it's worth getting your bro's FN down there too.
I reckon the rollers will reveal all. Funny how some think the DC5 is a wolf in sheeps clothing for 1/4 mile type stuff vs the likes of your high HP hatches, VXR's, ST's, sports etc but then others will say its pretty average compared with these cars. I'm undecided as I don't street race but having said that it's the quickest thing I've ever owned by a mile!

civic17_99

Advanced Member
http://type-r-owners...ine-is-lightest

Post #9 is the reason I'd expect the DC5 to be ahead by a good margin due to the power/weight ratio. Having said that as mentioned here you may not be near the quoted 217bhp from the factory. It does happen though! It seems as though the DC5 can vary as much as 15bhp from car to car in standard format. E.g. I remember someone on here putting out 217bhp on the rollers with just a spoon drop in filter but then I suppose there's the argument over differing dyno's too which is why I'd say it's worth getting your bro's FN down there too.
I reckon the rollers will reveal all. Funny how some think the DC5 is a wolf in sheeps clothing for 1/4 mile type stuff vs the likes of your high HP hatches, VXR's, ST's, sports etc but then others will say its pretty average compared with these cars. I'm undecided as I don't street race but having said that it's the quickest thing I've ever owned by a mile!
That was mine that put out 220bhp with just Spoon drop in at Surrey Rolling road. Think Surrey's dyno is fairly accurate as a completely stock dc5 on the day put out about 216bhp.But as you say cars can vary in terms of the power they are putting out. I haven't had a run against an FN2 but me and my friend who has a VXR Astra have had a couple of runs and it pretty much comes down to who gets on the power first. Might be worth getting your DC5 on the dyno Gareth88 just to see what it's putting out if your curious.

PORTHOS

Resident Rembrandt
Great way to look up stats here.
http://www.torquestats.com/

Although DC5 is down as 7.1

Dyno will never give an accurate readout, however getting both cars done on the same day will give you an idea whats going on... which IMO is that both cars are putting out about the same power.

DC5 being older etc. But hey, were only talking a few tenths of a second between them.

BOTH cars from NEW, the FN2 does a quoted 14.9 quarter mile, the DC5's is 14.6

Even at a quarter mile the difference isn't a lot at all!

Although I don't recommend trying that out on public roads!

Marshall-P

Advanced Member
Great way to look up stats here.
http://www.torquestats.com/

Although DC5 is down as 7.1

Dyno will never give an accurate readout, however getting both cars done on the same day will give you an idea whats going on... which IMO is that both cars are putting out about the same power.

DC5 being older etc. But hey, were only talking a few tenths of a second between them.

Good find Porthos. xthumbup