power steering pump

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Spent a fair amount of money on the Teg this last month getting rid of tick and rattling noises, and i go out to my car tonight and another has developed.

I have poked and prodded and its the power steering pump that has s**t itself. lol

you can put your finger on the casing, and as the engine is revved and dropped, you can feel bearings rattling and hitting the casing inside.

Can these be reconditioned at all? or point me in the direction of a known working one please? Ive seen the ones on ebay, not the greatest descriptions in the world and no guarantee they are going to work so id rather not buy one from there.

Fluid was changed last year, still turns ok, just really rattles. Lol am I in danger of damaging anything?? If I can keep it going another month or two that would help me massively. Haha

Thanks in advance

Mebz

Advanced Member
Someone on here bought a new one only to find there was nothing wrong with the original.

I think it was dave pingu, maybe worth a PM.

53 Teegwa

Advanced Member
Remember my issue mate it ended up being a damaged "o" ring in the end.

Pop off the top hose (and others) and check the seals all good also check the fluid isn't bubbly etc meaning trapped air in the system.

Gordon

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
But did yours rattle Gordon? Like I said, you can actually feel something inside it flinging around when the revs are suddenly on and off. like bearings hitting a case. Surely that means its had it?

I will try the fluid again, and checking seals etc as it wouldnt hurt.

The bit im touching is the square part of the pump, on the top where the hose connects into it. That's where this obvious rattle is.

davidpingu

Advanced Member
I sold mine on unfortunately mate. Not sure how easy it would be to repair one but if it only turns out to be bearings there are places which can replicate any size or shape. There is a place like that local to me. As Teegwa says may be worth checking it's not just air in the system making that noise. They can get pretty loud and rattle if air bubbles are in there. Finding the source of your leak should be your first port of call. Running with air in the system may degrade the pump much quicker so go careful with it. I have lots of different sized O rings btw :)

53 Teegwa

Advanced Member
Yup groaned rattled burped the works buddy

As I say might not help but worth checking first off buddy it'll suck if it's new pump time :(

Gordon

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
I haven't got any leaks Dave thankfully, All levels look ok. but I shall have a search for any local engineering companies near to me that could maybe help. :) I shall try the fluid change Gordon, thanks for the confirmation on that mate. After my drive home tonight I shall have a peak for any air bubbles in the pot too. ;)

Is it a pain to change then is it? (If it does turn out to be new pump) Whats a good price for one then....anyone know? £100 ish second hand, & £1000 new from Honda ?? haha lol

James

53 Teegwa

Advanced Member
Might not even need to change fluid buddy Pop top hose and have a look see then investigate from there.

Could always inspect the fluid for debris etc too

Gordon

davidpingu

Advanced Member
I paid £110 for the pump with 14,000 miles on it. It was like new. Very easy to change. Getting the belt on and off is probably the worst part!

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Well, brief update, fluid is full and clear still, no bubbles, on the mark, and the o ring in the top hose is fine.....think its new pump time. Yippee.....

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Mine makes a noise too but Grinspeed says it has no effect on the car so if you can put up with the noise there's no point changing it lol. Mine makes more of a whining noise rather than a bearing as such.

I can understand where you're coming from though mate especially if it's annoying you, you'll want to get it done.

hondamad2204

Advanced Member
Yeah money this month is stopping me. Had the bill from tgm, Vegas in a week, and just bought two new hid replacement headlamps so this is next month's todo list. Haha

But yes, although its drivablity is fine, its going to wind the pants off me. Lol.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
Jimmer said:
Yeah money this month is stopping me. Had the bill from tgm, Vegas in a week, and just bought two new hid replacement headlamps so this is next month's todo list. Haha

But yes, although its drivablity is fine, its going to wind the pants off me. Lol.
Nightmare couple of months there James. :(