Predicament no. 2 of today.

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
Hi again

Today I hate noticed that the Teg seems to hsve picked up a whirring type sound when traveling around. The noise is consistent and it doesnt matter whether i'm accelerating, cruising, in gear or out of gear.

My first thought would be wheel bearing? But after speaking to a mate of mine Caliper binding was memtioned. Just wondered if anyone had any thing like a previous experience they could share or some general help would be spon on.

PS the cars 2002, 80k, no recent work.

Regards
Chris

adam.

Advanced Member
What condition are the inner shoulders of the rear tyres?

When you've been for a drive, is any one wheel hotter than the others?

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
adamlstr said:

I'll have a look for you mate! They are AD08Rs with a 4mm tread across the whole tyre. I had them off a couple of weeks back!

Were going to have a nosey this saturday. It doesnt seem to affect driving, just a horrendously annoying noise haha. Thanks for the reply Adam.

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
TyperItr said:
is it mechanical? Could it be coming from the speakers?
Hmmm sounds mechanical to me but I am THE least mechanical person around haha. Im also clueless about speakers haha. Habe you ever experienced similar? I took a video this morning. Ill upload it very soon. Thank you mate!

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
adamlstr said:

Hey Adam

Drove to work this morning. Haven't checked the tyres. But all 4 wheels were similar temperatures ie Cold.

What are you thinking at this point? Ive got a video up which I will upload.

TyperItr

Advanced Member
Yeah I had similar before. Think it is called alternator whine and is caused by a bad ground. Does the pitch change as you accelerate?

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
TyperItr said:
Yeah I had similar before. Think it is called alternator whine and is caused by a bad ground. Does the pitch change as you accelerate?
No mate not at all its very constant. Just popping this video on now.

Thanks dude!

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-bmVH04CJcU&feature=youtu.be

Fully appreciate I shouldn't have filmed while driving and normally wouldn't touch the phone at all.

TyperItr

Advanced Member
That sounds like a buzz more than a whine? Deff not the speakers anyway as thats not the type of noise they make.
I'm not sure sounds like something rattling was there anything you were messing with at all prior to this noise?

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
TyperItr said:
That sounds like a buzz more than a whine? Deff not the speakers anyway as thats not the type of noise they make.
I'm not sure sounds like something rattling was there anything you were messing with at all prior to this noise?
Hmmm. The noise reminds of an Australian Didgeridoo sort of noise in person. But really low pitched.

About 2 weeks ago we installed coilovers and EP3 rod ends but it was perfect until yesterday mate! Checked everything while while the car was on the ramp to and everything looked sweet!

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Does it matter how fast you are going? As in does it increase in volume or pitch the faster you go? I can't listen to the video at work unfortunately.

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
Chris. said:
Does it matter how fast you are going? As in does it increase in volume or pitch the faster you go? I can't listen to the video at work unfortunately.
No worries Chris! It doesnt seem to change pitch really. I would say that volume does change with speed. But not massively!

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
If it's a buzz then that reminds me of what I had on my Mk1 Focus numerous times which was a rear wheel bearing.

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
Chris. said:
If it's a buzz then that reminds me of what I had on my Mk1 Focus numerous times which was a rear wheel bearing.
Top man. Think thats the first port of call anyhow. Ill get it jacked up tonight and have a wobble of the wheel!

MilanoChris

Advanced Member
Don't be cheap and press out the bearing like I did, it'll fail soon after. Just get a new hub.

Chrismartin

Advanced Member
Chris. said:
Don't be cheap and press out the bearing like I did, it'll fail soon after. Just get a new hub.
Think this is a new bearing a hub mate that I've bought! Ended up costing 92 quid anyway after a 30% discount.