Preffered Vtec engagement rpm?

gregb

Advanced Member
At present the map Vtec engages at 4000 rpm.
previous map was 4500 rpm.
is there any point in bringing it in any earlier than the latter?
recent dyno proved not much was happenning till @5000rpm anyhow.

Vampyre VTi

not really !

the principle is that as the rpm of an engine increases it struggles to let fuel in and out of the chamber, the VTEC system combats this as it is set to a point where the valves have reached a level where they struggle to shift their load and so altering their timing means that they can adjust the speed in which they operate! this gives gains in performance and in the rev range

VTEC controllers would work a dream in a car that has had new cams fitted, though it woudl still need someone "who knows" to set it up properly!

altering the cut in point otherwise .... there maybe small possible gains altering the cut in point to 5000 ( as you have said), but any lower than that then you could adversly adjust the timing so that the valves would be moving to fast for the rev range to be of any benefit!

someone correct me if im wrong :)

Evs

Advanced Member
Vampyre VTi said:
not really !

someone correct me if im wrong :)
So you typed all that and then admit that you don't really know what you're talking about? :roll:

Greg wasn't asking about a VTEC controller, he was asking about VTEC crossover point in the context of mapping a K-Pro.

The i-VTEC system in the K-series is quite a bit different to the old-school system. The crossover point depends on the power curves for each set of lobes at different angles, the tuner will plot the best map across the range of angles as the revs increase and set the crossover point accordingly. There's a window of engagement such that the crossover point depends on inlet manifold pressure, ie it's lower at full throttle and vice versa.

To answer the question I have a feeling that my window is 4200-5800, but can't remember exactly, sorry. It all depends on the other mods you've got and tbh I'd just leave it to the tuner and not worry about it.

andyd

Advanced Member
The preffered VTEC engagement rpm on the K20A under a K-Pro, is basically when the power and touque curve cross. Depending on modications this can be any where from 3700 upwards.

Andy

Vampyre VTi

Evs said:
So you typed all that and then admit that you don't really know what you're talking about? :roll:

Greg wasn't asking about a VTEC controller, he was asking about VTEC crossover point in the context of mapping a K-Pro.
LOL :D.... i got side tracked as i was typing it! sorry!..i was thinking of a vtec controller at the time! no need to get all arsey!!:)

thanks for the pointer on the Kseries... i'll admit i wasnt aware it was totally different formthe old school!

essentially the principal is the same though the K series appears to manage it much more "i"ntelligently! :D

Evs

Advanced Member
Vampyre VTi said:
no need to get all arsey!!:)
You think that was me getting all arsey? You must be new here... :lol: :lol: :lol:

Vampyre VTi said:
thanks for the pointer on the Kseries... i'll admit i wasnt aware it was totally different formthe old school!
No probs - happy to help :wink: :D

Evs

Advanced Member
andyd said:
The preffered VTEC engagement rpm on the K20A under a K-Pro, is basically when the power and touque curve cross.
Don't you mean when the power curves for low cam and high cam cross? :?

andyd

Advanced Member
Evs said:
andyd said:
The preffered VTEC engagement rpm on the K20A under a K-Pro, is basically when the power and touque curve cross.
Don't you mean when the power curves for low cam and high cam cross? :?

er yea thats the one. :lol:

gregb

Advanced Member
Tbh before kpro the vtec was more extreme at engagement.
you had alot happenning in sync and although the wait was till 6000rpm
it was worth it.
just the old vtec characteristics have gone with the kpro,while it`s vtec window has been widened and lowered does it give that much benefit in doing so.
it`s still :p when your in it, just it`s a different ballgame.
going to get it set back to 4500rpm soon.
suppose it varies from tuners rather than owners.

ps:kpro for saleyeah right!!!!!

Evs

Advanced Member
gregb said:
Tbh before kpro the vtec was more extreme at engagement.
you had alot happenning in sync and although the wait was till 6000rpm
it was worth it.
Tbh you've hit the nail on the head there.

The remap gives you more midrange torque and smooths out the curve, more area underneath = a more accelerative car. End of.

...but not quite. Part of the fun, driving pleasure and satisfaction is keeping the car on the boil when, if you get it wrong, you drop off cam and chug along slowly on the shopping cams. So the on/off VTEC transition with the OEM ECU (and with the old-skool B/F/H- series engines) can actually add to the driving enjoyment. By being not as good... :? :wink: :lol:

I took a current DC2 owner (and old-skool Honda nut) out in mine a few months ago and he asked whether it could be mapped to give a more obvious VTEC changeover... :roll: but 8)

Maybe the solution is two maps: a day to day map with a nice smooth midrange and no 'step' on transition, that you can change up at 6.5-7k and still go reasonably quickly. And a balls-out thrash map with a big step and a torque dip at 5.5k, that you've got to rev out or it tells you in no uncertain terms when you've got it wrong...

:-k :idea:

gregb

Advanced Member
Yes i have to agree with maybe having two maps,or more!
when i was brought out first in macers car after it got the kpro i was hooked!
mind you i couldn`t see,hear or feel the vtec changeover.
it`s just a matter of adapting i supposse.

Jayk

Advanced Member
disagree with you all :p

only jokes, each set up is different there is not perfect crossover point i dont think.

the adjustable cam pulley helps loads on the K20A when in and out of VTEC.

i bum my car :p

C&S Evo7

Administrator
Staff member
The OEM honda map has a big power dip right before the vtec point purposly to make the vtec engagement much more obvious.
this is ironed out by kpro but you should deffinatly know when its in, due to the noise.
Honda could have done this quite easily but didn't probably to give the car owner the vtec feeling.

Jayk

Advanced Member
Its not really a dip, but the power levels of, then VTEC comes in. The power has a constant increase until just before VTEC then levels off, does not seem to decrease, then VTEC comes in and there is a sharp spike of increased power.

This happended on my VX220's just before 3500rpm also, mainly for emission control. Also on my DC2. Like you said can be ironed out to make the power more liner*. Ive driven a DC2 car mapped on DTA with a very very smooth power curve, pretty amazing looking at it, but it was not asmuch fun as one where VTEC cam in harder, without the ironing out of power development before VTEC. But saying that, if you driving a VTEC properly, it should stay in VTEC.

At the mo i do feel like having my VTEC point lowered but will leave it and see what it feels like once the JRSC is on.

dan the man

Advanced Member
end of the day with or without KPRO u know when its in as 'feel' it spurring on the acceleration... its kinda like in 6th in it...Its not as noticable as lower gears as hard to pull but its there..the engine just trys that little bit harder and keeps it up.

I reckon i could guess it without a rev counter