Preparing your ITR for a UK Winter.

Newera

Driving on the Motorway today, I began thinking that not all performance cars get taken off the road for winter...

Thought it might be a good idea to share some tips on how best to prepare an ITR for use over winter, so here's my start to the thread - Hopefully others will have good tips to add :D

* Salt, Grit and resultant corrosion is probably any performance car's worst enemy if not checked. Most people think undersealing's the best way to protect, but there's a better alternative. Spray Waxoyl is available as kits from most UK motor factors. This is not a bitument black stuff that underseal is usually based on, but a waxy oil that hardens, lubricates and protects. It's also possible to wash it off with a steam cleaner, so it can be renewed each year, inexpensively. It's a good idea to waxoyl inside all cavities such as boot & door internals, sills, inside arches, rear panels, etc. If you can spray it on your suspension, drivetrain and chassis, this will also help protect.
Also almost forgot... The UK has a lot of dirt on roads, so be sure to wash off that layer of mud / etc. in the arches and on suspension before waxoyling.
I have used Waxoyl on older cars in the UK which I ran all year round... I found they didn't corrode at all, if carefully protected.

* Wash and wax your car regularly. This way you can find any small stone chips before they begin to attract corrosion. Waxing will also protect your paint's finish.

* Give your car a good service. Check fan belts for wear, change the antifreeze, maybe get some lower SAE rated oil for those cold morning starts. Air filters get clogged with salt, etc. so it's a good idea to make sure filter(s) are nice and clean now.

* Clean your windows (I know this one's obvious, but I have been in too many cars with filthy dirty windows in winter :D)! Often people use cloths, etc. to wipe off condensation, or worse - their hands!
This will leave smears and grease on the glass, which will cause glare from headlights of oncoming cars. Clean your windows using Windowlene, or other - and only use the car's ventilation system to clear windows from then on.

* Clean or renew wiper blades. A squirt of (Cheap) brake cleaner and a good wipe is pretty good for rejuvenating older rubber.

* Check your tyres and renew if they're old. With crud, snow, slush and water all over the roads, it's best to have a decent and relatively new set of tyres with deep tread. Remember that old rubber gets hard over time and grips less. If you can find a set of used Japn winter tyres for your ITR, then get them.... They're a vast improvement over normal tyres for Winter, salt and snow use.... Can mean the difference between having and not having an accident in slippery conditions.

:) :D

Miguel

neolee40

Advanced Member
Here's the best piece of advice just drive slower :D . Don't take conners fast like you do in the dry.

Zero7

Advanced Member
Good post.

I was considering having the whole car waxoiled, however with the stuff being of the sticky variety, I thought the grit and salt would stick to it, I just ensure a weekly Jet wash underneath and the wheel arches.

aself66

Advanced Member
another tip, you know that white salt mess you get on the windscreen? and you wash it off but it comes back seconds later from road spray? well to help prevent this get an old fag butt (1 that has been smoked) and wipe the tabacco end all over the windscreen - this keeps it clean !!

JiB

Advanced Member
What about preparing for a sticky hot summer for those in the Southern Hemisphere? :p

neolee40

Advanced Member
here's a good tip don't use Anti Freeze on your windscreen and use the wipers as it rots them :).

Gaz 1

Advanced Member
My tip, dont use in winter months, will def stay clean and salt free, keep in garage with loads oh polish, i'm gonny get slated here :)

dan the man

Advanced Member
no your not..
i had day off yesterday to work on my cottage..err kinda didtn go like that. :oops:

5 hours later the DC5 had got the works. :D

full wash, dry and polish(every panel even under sills got polished)
clean all gutters and inside doors cases and boot, rubber seals, etc where u can wipe clean. hoover inside like a loon, mats out, seats gone to town on, dash hoovered with brush. door cards done..the lot!

CD2d the engine bay, rinsed, and wiped down most surfaces..leave engine running to dry out. clean zorst, top up screen wash, get all crap out of glovebox,check for water again out of mirrors and fuel cap etc..dry off! all little things like boot struts got cleaned..attention to detail.
take off white wheels and clean. clean silver wheels and put on car as more tread and white ones getting attacked!

put car back in car port to not be used... :oops: :oops: :roll: :lol:

But im happy as she has been due a BEASTIN :wink:

Gaz 1

Advanced Member
Well done dan the man, i polished the life out of mine on friday, doors sills engine bay, nothing was missed i tell you, absolote gleaming she is. Stunning and shiney 8) 8)

gregb

Advanced Member
dan the man said:
no your not..
i had day off yesterday to work on my cottage..err kinda didtn go like that. :oops:

clean all gutters and inside doors cases and boot, rubber seals, etc where u can wipe clean. hoover inside like a loon, mats out, seats gone to town on, dash hoovered with brush. door cards done..the lot!

CD2d the engine bay, rinsed, and wiped down most surfaces..leave engine running to dry out. clean zorst, top up screen wash, get all crap out of glovebox,check for water again out of mirrors and fuel cap etc..dry off! all little things like boot struts got cleaned..attention to detail.
take off white wheels and clean. clean silver wheels and put on car as more tread and white ones getting attacked!

do you do call outs :lol: unfortunately mine is an everyday runner from dropping the kid to school to getting me to work and back but it does get massive respect 8)

matt b

Advanced Member
gregb said:
do you do call outs :lol: unfortunately mine is an everyday runner from dropping the kid to school to getting me to work and back but it does get massive respect 8)
Bet it does mate, I look forward to the day I have a nipper or two and ill be the cool dad in the racing car lol :lol:

gregb

Advanced Member
matt b said:
gregb said:
Bet it does mate, I look forward to the day I have a nipper or two and ill be the cool dad in the racing car lol :lol:
she`d love to have a recaro booster seat someday!might be a market for them there :!:

Zero7

Advanced Member
dan the man said:
no your not..

Credit to you for getting all that done in 5 hours, I would have scheduled in 2 days for that. :lol: