Price difference for Fresh Import

Managh

Just wondering if there is much of a price difference between a car that's already been in the UK for a few years, and a fresh import?

There don't seem to be many on the market (already in the uk) at the moment either, are these getting rarer now?

Thanks

Managh

Worth paying the premium for a fresh import?

And what kind of spec/condition would you expect for around £8k?

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
People are holding on at the minute which is pushing prices up too. Nicer cars are holding good money even more too.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

joiner

Advanced Member
Definitely better with a fresh import regarding rust as once they see our salted roads with no protection it just starts appearing everywhere, however just because it's a fresh import doesn't mean that overall it's a better car mechanically, a well maintained enthusiast car already here would be just as good if not better providing proper rust prevention is carried out routinely

Unfortunately due to the age etc even sourcing a fresh import is getting harder now and prices are creeping up, I would reckon for a grade 3C nowadays you would be looking £8000 minimum by the time it's here. At that kind of auction grade then I would question the quality of car you would be getting, money pit springs to mind😕.

At the end of the day everyone will have different ideas but to me a decent quality fresh import nowadays will set you back nearer £9-10 depending on importer. If you only have £8000 then why not just wait and see what comes up as members are always getting itchy feet and changing or contemplating it and chances are if they are on here they are enthusiastic about these cars and look after them well😀.

Managh

Rust is the one thing that puts me off about a car that's been here for a few years. If it hasn't been under sealed or wasn't under sealed for a while it might need some work. I've had old Ford's so had enough of rust to be honest!

I've been keeping an eye on the classifieds on here and they do seem better quality than elsewhere. Just a waiting game I think.

Thanks for the help anyway.

crasherkid

Advanced Member
I'm also looking at a fresh import too but they tend to go for £9.5k or above, based on the grade/condition etc.
However, there's only one available in CW, Woody's garage are doing it for just over £9k but if I'm paying £9k, I'd expect the mileage to be quiet less than 81k.

Midnight

Advanced Member
I think people's valuations are a little off or are still pricing from 2012.

£8000 or even £9000 for a fresh import I highly doubt you will get a 'low' 'prestine' condition example.

I think for a lower mileage grade 4 you need to be looking at a higher budget £10,000 onwards. Yen vs GBP has increased let alone the DC5 becoming more desirable over time.

I could be wrong, as this is just my opinion...

linh-ej9

Advanced Member
Fresh import if you want rust free. I checked out all the dc5 at japfest last year and about 80% had rust on the arches

muffinman

Advanced Member
the dc5 i recently sold had been in the country since 2005 with 10k miles on the clock, i sold it with 73k last month and it had zero rust, so they are about just hard to find!

Managh

Is rust a common problem on DC5's even on ones that have been undersealed from when they came in to the country?

Johngreen537

Advanced Member
More common on cars that have been in the country for a while due to the amount of salt we use.

An underseal is good, but mostly it's the rear arches that go or behind bumpers and in wheel well due to this not getting protection.

I wouldn't say 'common', but certainly not uncommon. Fresh import just buys you a good few years more peace of mind. Most on here are treat and maintenaned well by the folks because we All seem to care, but as with any other car, it's always a bit of a lottery.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

joiner

Advanced Member
Just as Said above, from personal experience the factory protection and seam sealer from the factory is pretty crap, I'm restoring mine and when your under and having a close look there's panel joint's where the bead has completely missed the panel joint's!!! Leading to a hole forming. I'v had the car now for a while and during stripping the doors noticed that down the front edge the factory sealer is missing in places, I'll post pics later to show you what I mean.

The rear arches are the biggest ball ache, on our British Hondas the inner skin stops back in from the outer skin on the rear and is sealed with a bead of seam sealer but the Teggy's are both flush and between spot welds have 2-3mm gaps where the water soaks in, very bad in winter as the salt water doesn't dry at all hence the rust starts.

On my car I have seam sealed the rear arches then painted with 2 coats of Jotun 2 pack paint as well as the whole underside so should stay fresh for a long time, so my point being, if you get a fresh import and spend time stripping sealing and protecting vulnerable parts then rust should remain a distant problem for at least a while longer, the same as a normal British manufactured car, but left unprotected or a poor undersealing job then it's just a matter of time before the rust sets in :(

crasherkid

Advanced Member
Just been speaking to someone regarding their supposedly "fresh import" but after asking general questions on the phone, its come to light the car isn't a fresh import and the owner has been driving in here on our roads for almost a year, without even undersealing it!!! I mean WTF? Why import a car, not underseal it then drive it around for almost a year, and demand over £9k.

Kenz

Advanced Member
Most importers will be able to get you a dc5 imported for 8k.

The problem is a lot of importers, while they do underseal the floor pan and in the rear wheel arches, dont underseal behind both front and rear bumpers. Some companies it seems dont even bother undersealing them at all. It's common for dc5's to rot behind the bumpers, this goes un noticed and can be hard to spot etc.

The engine bay's also begin to suffer as they cant really be sealed up without taking the engine out to do a proper job. Round the engine mount points especially.

Also, behind the side skirts can rust easily and in the boot well if the rear light seals fail and water leaks through.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

George657

Advanced Member
Second Chris's comment. Mines been in the country 10 years and hasn't got a single bit of rust on it.

Crazylegs

Advanced Member
I don't understand what the infatuation is with having a fresh import. There are loads of nice examples here in the UK, no one needs a fresh import.

Midnight

Advanced Member
Totally disagree with you crazylegs.

Slightly biased however when I was looking I didn't come across any below 50,000 miles and think I only seen 1 for sale that was 60,000 miles from new.

Yes I know the argument buy on condition not mileage can apply but that's usually someone's side of the debate selling a car that's been to the moon and back.